Fuel rail pressure low

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Trev the farmer
New
Drives: 1.2 TDI SE

Fuel rail pressure low

Post by Trev the farmer »

This morning I was driving my polo 1.2d 2011 when I found I was stuck behind a slow moving tractor. At the first safe opportunity I overtook the tractor, during this manoeuvre the glow plug light started flashing on the dashboard. It continued to flash and the engine seemed sluggish, I pulled over and turned the engine off. It started again and was fine, no flashing glow plug light. I pulled onto the motorway and the light started flashing again, I pulled off at the services, I made a few phone calls and got back into the car. It started fine no warning lights, I decided to go back home rather than risk continuing my journey, I drove about 20 miles with no problems. I went to my local garage and informed them, the told me there was an error code- fuel rail low pressure. They cleared it and said keep your eye on it see how it goes. Does this sound familiar to anyone, is it a hiccup or is there an expensive problem lurking ?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Fuel rail pressure low

Post by iichel »

there are a few weak points of the CFWA engine:
- low pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank
- pressure regulator in early models
- clogged fuel filter, not a specific engine problem
- rare but possible: failing injector(s)
- rare but possible: fuel pressure sender
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

That petrol damaged your fuel system.
Trev the farmer
New

The car has had a new fuel filter, new injector. What else could need changing. It is running ok at the moment, just worried it will happen again.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

amer6R wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:02 pm That petrol damaged your fuel system.
pretty sure the diesel itself is used to lubricate the pump which pertrol doesn't off, so i guess you are on to something
Trev the farmer
New

When I put petrol in, I topped up the tank, I put in £20. I would have thought wouldn’t be as bad as neat petrol. So, worst case scenario is a new fuel pump ?

Thanks for the responses !!!
iichel

Post by iichel »

no worst case scenario is a new fuel tank, high and low pressure fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter and three new injectors
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

its hard to diagnose to us non mechanics withouth a scan tool. Yes your fuel pump can be an issue for sure, it will that code. But like iichel mentions there can be also other things.

if your fuel filter had metal particles, they came from high pressure fuel pump, and some of them end up in injectors.
Trev the farmer
New

Today I drove the car a few miles, the glow plug light started flashing and then the engine warning light came on. Ok, I got to the point of no return. On Monday I will go buy another car and ask the garage how best to dispose of this one. I paid £4500 for the car back in March this year, it has had a service, new tyres, cam belt and water pump. I know it’s my own fault on this occasion for putting petrol in a diesel car but, you have to draw a line in the sand. It will be good to get another car (not VW, NOT diesel) and start again, lessons learnt !
iichel

Post by iichel »

You can hardly blame the car for the situation that petrol was put into a diesel engine. Any modern diesel engine would have died
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Next time if it happens, don't start the car. Call a tow truck or something, and get your gas tank drained from fuel. Put diesel and that's all.
If you do the same for the petrol car, if you put diesel your injector will get damaged
Kr1s
New
Drives: 1.2 TDI 2010

Post by Kr1s »

Absolutely crazy how you’re blaming this on VW…
Trev the farmer
New

iichel wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:38 pm You can hardly blame the car for the situation that petrol was put into a diesel engine. Any modern diesel engine would have died
I don’t blame the car, it was me who made the mistake. I blame myself for buying a diesel car, I have always had petrol cars previously, I think you should stick with one or the other. I have been put off by VW because of the expensive components, it seems parts for other vehicles are much cheaper. For example- cam belt kit, injectors etc. Thanks for your comments and assistance, it helps to get the opinions from more informed people.
iichel

Post by iichel »

If you think VW parts are expensive, have a look at Japanese spare parts.