2020 GTI - squeaky suspension on passenger side

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
funkyg
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

2020 GTI - squeaky suspension on passenger side

Post by funkyg »

I’ve had this car for a couple of weeks now and am loving it. It currently has 16k miles on it. Was last serviced and MOTd in March (main dealer) with no advisory.
One thing I have noticed is that the suspension is a little squeaky at the front left corner. I can only notice it if going slowly on quiet local roads, on faster busy roads I don’t hear it. If I bounce each corner they are all quiet apart from the front passenger corner, it sounds like ‘squeaky rubber’.
Do you think it’s anything I need to worry about? Just needs lubing or suspension work? It does have main VW dealer warranty.
Thanks in advance.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Re: 2020 GTI - squeaky suspension on passenger side

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I would say it's either the spring that are creaking or the shock absorber is wearing out. You might as well get it checked out if it's under warranty as it could be a sign it may fail. My last polo used to have both front springs creak especially in the winter months but the springs on the diesel model were heavy duty ones that are different to the petrol model. I just lived with it on my last polo but it was annoying. Never said anything when I took it to the dealer and passed all health checks. If you can make a video of it so we can see what it sounds like.
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

Post by LEEA123 »

The way I look at it, you got a warranty, get it booked in for investigation. If you can replicate it, then take them out on a drive to show them if you can, they may be able to know what it is and get the part ordered if needed before you leave it with them for a day
funkyg
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by funkyg »

Finally got the car in at the dealers. (Four weeks waiting time for my local dealer!)
I need a new shock and top mount, to be done under warranty. Parts are on back order so will hopefully get done next week.
Still safe to drive, just noisy.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

funkyg wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:14 pm Finally got the car in at the dealers. (Four weeks waiting time for my local dealer!)
I need a new shock and top mount, to be done under warranty. Parts are on back order so will hopefully get done next week.
Still safe to drive, just noisy.
Parts on back order usually means that there "is a lot of it about" - this age of Polo seems to have moved back to the roughly pre 2009 era of Polo top mounting design, as with many things in the car world, they "try model A" then move onto "try model B" then back to "try model A" etc etc, so that current design of top mounting and upper bearing should be a well tried and tested pair of parts. I only ever had a upper bearing start to get noisy on a 2002 Polo when it used this same design of top mounting and upper bearing.