Brake play - how much?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Brake play - how much?

Post by PoloGTInoob »

I just noticed yesterday that i have about half an inch of play on the brake pedal before there is resistance / the brakes engage

i had not noticed this before but a quick google search didnt reveal much official content on this but generally sounds like its meant to have some free play.

How much free play do you have in your polo?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Brake play - how much?

Post by iichel »

half an inch sounds a bit much, but it can depend on your brake pads, brake wear, fluid age etc. i don't directly think its a reason to worry but if it does bother you, you could check if all the brake pads front and rear can move freely and the pistons are freely moving as well.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Re: Brake play - how much?

Post by grazuncle2 »

without getting a measuring tape out I'm guessing my brake pedal is acting in the same manner.

The pressure distribution of braking is biased to the front but front and rears should all move at the same time. If the rear adjusters are just close to clicking to the next ratchet some of that pedal will have to be taken up as the shoes retract back after each use. Only the designer would know the master cylinder swept volume/area proportional to the pedal movement to say what degree of movement it would take.

if the brake pedal is spongy that is a different thing...

Mine certainly isn't and has not changed detectably in the 3 years I have had it. :)