Oil Filter removal

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Tricky66
New
Drives: 2013 1.2 diesel match

Oil Filter removal

Post by Tricky66 »

Hi All
Apologies in advance if the answer to my following question is buried deep in the forum somewhere. I’ve had a quick search through with no joy.
So I have a 1.2 polo match diesel on a 13 plate at the moment and what a cracking little tin can it is ! Can’t fault the drive and the fuel economy is great……..however…….. giving it an oil and filter change at present and cannot get anything I currently have on to the top of the oil filter. I’ve just serviced my T5 and what a doddle that is compared to where they have put the filter on the Polo. Cannot get my current 32 socket in there and don’t have any large enough spanners, not that you have the room for leverage ! It’s in a very tight spot on the front of the block and not a clear line of sight down to the housing so my question is, is there a special tool for the job or can anyone advise ?

Appreciate your help.
Tricky66
New

Re: Oil Filter removal

Post by Tricky66 »

So I acquired a tool which is basically like a spanner end with a square drive for the ratchet. Still cannot get the ratchet bar straight down or anywhere near straight so put on the swivel joint and managed to get some purchase on it. Didn't budge but did crack around the base of the hex on the top of the housing as I discovered when I decided to give up and just do the oil change, ran the engine to warm the oil and found it seeping out of the top of the housing.

So the new problem is how to get this cap off without it snapping off completely!!!
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Tricky66 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:41 pm So I acquired a tool which is basically like a spanner end with a square drive for the ratchet. Still cannot get the ratchet bar straight down or anywhere near straight so put on the swivel joint and managed to get some purchase on it. Didn't budge but did crack around the base of the hex on the top of the housing as I discovered when I decided to give up and just do the oil change, ran the engine to warm the oil and found it seeping out of the top of the housing.

So the new problem is how to get this cap off without it snapping off completely!!!

maybe this will help you a bit?
https://www.kolhosniki.ru/elsaonline&ve ... xml_xsl--3
Tricky66
New

Post by Tricky66 »

Thanks amer6r, I’ve got the cap off in one piece but cannot extract the filter as there is a metal pipe running above which I need to see if I can remove, two cross head fixings on a manifold type on the right, not very accessible at all and a clamp fitting on the left. Looking through the Elsa, the set up I have doesn’t show up. The nearest is where it shows a solenoid connection above to be disconnected whereas I have a metal pipe and it’s this that is stopping me being able to wiggle the filter out.
I’m totally baffled as to how this 1.2 diesel match polo does not feature in any on line tutorials, discussion boards or indeed the Elsa !!!!!
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Tricky66 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:08 pm Thanks amer6r, I’ve got the cap off in one piece but cannot extract the filter as there is a metal pipe running above which I need to see if I can remove, two cross head fixings on a manifold type on the right, not very accessible at all and a clamp fitting on the left. Looking through the Elsa, the set up I have doesn’t show up. The nearest is where it shows a solenoid connection above to be disconnected whereas I have a metal pipe and it’s this that is stopping me being able to wiggle the filter out.
I’m totally baffled as to how this 1.2 diesel match polo does not feature in any on line tutorials, discussion boards or indeed the Elsa !!!!!
maybe look for ibiza or fabia
https://youtu.be/gBH6o93rCVc?si=fSi1x1V1bv7WiDPh
https://youtu.be/I7BVHgsfUvw?si=_Nen0E3E47yuzFEe
https://youtu.be/7m-CPVx83UI?si=l6sT5k11sbvO4y4J

will this be of any help?
Tricky66
New

Post by Tricky66 »

Right, I can only conclude that someone has previously replaced the filter housing and intercooler in the past and fitted an incorrect one. I had to force the cap off which in turn disengaged the internal spline with the seals in it and that and the filter are still in the housing. No way on this planet is that coming out intact as it's hitting the edge of the plastic assembly above and then the metal pipe along side that. I found a video of similar set up on the 1.2 TDI and they simply pulled the filter out upwards, as it should be. This car, no way !!
PXL_20240510_055236889~2.jpg
PXL_20240510_055236889~2.jpg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 219 times
Tricky66
New

Post by Tricky66 »

Right, I can only conclude that someone has previously replaced the filter housing and intercooler in the past and fitted an incorrect one. I had to force the cap off which in turn disengaged the internal spline with the seals in it and that and the filter are still in the housing. No way on this planet is that coming out intact as it's hitting the edge of the plastic assembly above and then the metal pipe along side that. I found a video of similar set up on the 1.2 TDI and they simply pulled the filter out upwards, as it should be. This car, no way !!
PXL_20240510_055236889~2.jpg
Tricky66
New

Post by Tricky66 »

Thought this would be my last post / update. Well I've finally got the filter out but only because I removed the pipe circled in red and the valve circled yellow I removed the three torx on top just so I could move it slightly to the right so I could get a better view of the pipe end. With that out of the way I could get the filter out. Replaced with new filter inserted into the new filter cap, only difference was the replacement filter was about a half inch shorter than what was already there. A bit of juggling and the cap dropped square on to the housing and tightened it up. All seals on and pre oiled. Replaced everything as was and changed the oil.
So now I have red oil symbol coming up on dash with audible bleep indicating high oil pressure.
Haven't touched anything else and nothing missing, disconnected or loose.
Is it the shorter oil filter causing this ??
PXL_20240511_153743379~2.jpg
PXL_20240511_153743379~2.jpg (3.46 MiB) Viewed 204 times
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

CFWA?

1- You must make sure that the renewed parts are compatible/correct. Use the original references according to engine code to buy the parts to be renewed, ... original or aftermarket.
2- You must make sure that no old seal is left in the container/hole/duct for the filter.
3- You need to make sure you have placed the new small rubber seals correctly.

Any of the above three can cause high oil pressure due to restriction in the oil passages.🤷‍♂️

Edit...
Try to find the/some reference number of the filter housing and intercooler assembly, maybe we can draw some more correct conclusion of what may be happening there.
In the ETKA (image above) it is position 1 (oil filter with flange). 03P115389A --replaced-> 03P115389B
Tricky66
New

Post by Tricky66 »

Unfortunately cannot see any markings on the housing for part no. Etc.
Si the end result is that after removing the new cap again it has the incorrect seal stem. Too short therefore not sealing in the base of the housing and thus causing pressure issues Swapped the old seal stem into the new cap to solve this problem.
Next problem......impossible to get the filter and cap back into the housing in one piece. After much pushing, twisting and swearing I removed from it's wedged in position and found that the thin plastic legs attaching the shat to the cap had broken.
So next step was to clean out housing, break shaft away from the cap and then install shaft full down into housing base, filter in and then cap. No other way without major dismantling of the engine.
Test dove with no issues.