1.3 Coupe S Keeps cutting out

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
hebrew
New

1.3 Coupe S Keeps cutting out

Post by hebrew »

My 1989 Mk11 Coupe S keeps cutting out every now and again, every time it does it, i try something else to fix it and think it is cured until the dreaded happens, just overtook a brand new MGR or whatever they are today and it struck, just died coasted to a halt :oops: , got out had a word with MG driver (he thought i'd stopped cause there was something wrong with his car) jumped back in my Polo turned the key and away she went never another trouble all the way home.
I've read posts about the carb icing up but it was doing it even in hot weather and not going very fast.
I've also read posts about a halls sender,sensor? could anyone tell me abit more about these problems please, any help would be much appreciated, its now the 12 car navigational rally season and its very frustrating when it cuts out and we're running behind time as it is!!!
I am running a K&N filter on the Pierburg carb but i'm convinced it isn't icing up, surely it would do it more than the once today on a 50 mile trip.
Please any ideas at all? :cry:
metz

Post by metz »

My mk3 started doing this when i took my foot off the accelerator, but up until now its only in cold weather. I suspect its got something to do with the alloy induction pipe and cone filter on mine though.
Its annoying when it happens as people just think you've stalled your car and look at you like you can't drive.
The G Man
Getting There!

Sounds like a problem I had a few months back.....

Post by The G Man »

Had a similar problem with my Mk2 Polo hatch...

Would be driving along minding my own business, next minute ignition & battery light come on and car would grind to a halt. Turn key, car would turn over but not start - Left car for a few hours and then it started first time!!!!

Turns out it was the electronic distributor - something to do with a resistor in the circuit getting warm and deciding to go 'open circuit' causing no spark to the plugs - When it cooled down again and resumed 'sparking' the car started.

Your problem could be something similar?

Could also be the air temperature sensor in the air filter compartment - when I originally bought my Mk2 Polo hatch it had a problem where it would cut out whilst the engine was warming up. This sensor adjusts according to the air temperature and lets air into the carb. This had stuck on my car and was letting the same amount of air into the carb regardless of the temperature and the result was that it kept stalling.

Try replacing it.

HTH
hebrew
New

Post by hebrew »

Hi,
Did you have to leave it for a few hours, as mine will start again within a couple of minutes.
It can do it anytime not necessarily as its warming up, yesterday it did it twice, once after about 4 miles then it was no problem for 40 miles then when i was coming home 5 hours later it was ok for about 30 miles and then it did it again.
The G Man
Getting There!

Post by The G Man »

It was a considerable amount of time before I could start mine - I mentioned ignition and battery light in my posting but it's actually the battery light and the oil light - Do they come on as you are driving? It does sound very similar to what is happening to your MKII don't you think? Does it cut out whilst driving or when idling? I ask this because Polo's also have a fuse which controls the slow idle (or something like that) On the previous car I had, this fuse blew as I was driving along and it just kept cutting whenever I took my foot off the accelerator. At first I though it was a blocked jet so I cleaned them. Then I turned the idle speed up which did keep it going while idling but it still wasn't right. I checked in the Haynes manual and it mentioned a fuse that controls the slow idle - replaced the blown fuse and hey presto - no more probs.

Ignition is a bit tricky - could be a number of things. Best bet is to do it by process of elimination - check leads, plugs, rotor arm, distributor cap and so on until you find the fault. :)
hebrew
New

Post by hebrew »

Yes it cuts out while driving along, never when it comes to a juction or anything. It can be faultless for days then all of a sudden it will cut out, it hasn't done it since last Sunday 10th Oct.
I'll be out on a rally again on Thurs night, so i'll see if it does it then, it usually does when i've got to be somewhere on time. not that it only does it when its getting flogged, sometimes it can do it while driving normally.
The G Man
Getting There!

Post by The G Man »

On the whole, how does the engine run? Are there any misfires? If it's running smoothly and just cuts out without warning then it definately sounds like a problem with the distributer. Only way to find out though would be to have it replaced.
hebrew
New

Post by hebrew »

It runs without a problem, smooth as a nut other than when it cuts out, its just on the very odd occasion it will cut out without warning, it doesn't seem to matter if its hot or cold or after a certain distance, it can be anytime and after each time its done it, it will start up no problem within a couple of minutes as though there was nothing wrong :?:
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Might be a stupid question, but you have checked all of the wiring before and after the ignition coil, and the state of the coil itself? I had the coil HT lead pop off a while ago (forgot to click it down when I refitted it..), suddenly cut out. If there's a loose connection, it could be that a certain bump or vibration occasionally knocks it slightly out of place, then it reseats itself after a while of being stood..
hebrew
New

Post by hebrew »

Finally cured it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Binned the poxy Pierburg and replaced it with a Weber.
After trying all the electrical componants and still no joy, i hunted down a Weber and put that on. Feels like its a bit more lively and it keeps going.
Thanks for any advice.

I'm now on the look out for some uprated springs and shocks if anyone can help.
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

hebrew wrote:Finally cured it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Binned the poxy Pierburg and replaced it with a Weber.
After trying all the electrical componants and still no joy, i hunted down a Weber and put that on. Feels like its a bit more lively and it keeps going.
Thanks for any advice.

I'm now on the look out for some uprated springs and shocks if anyone can help.
Webers ahhhhhh blisss

Damm good carbs if I can ever get together 3 matched Twin 45's I'll be sticking them on a six cyl car in my drive :lol: :lol: :lol:
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Could just be that the electronic cut out wire was a bit loose on the pierburg? That'd cause pretty much that problem, sudden cutting out. But, glad you've found a weber improves it :)