Any mk1'ers around?

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

yeah you can fit any small block engine in a mk1, but it gets more difficult for the bigger engines (mainly due to engine mounts being different and the lack of space) The highest cc "easy" one to do is early mk3 golf 1.4 (not polo as thats a different engine). After that you have to cut bits out of the bodywork and/or make a new engine mount.
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

^^^^

:idea: there's an ABD in a local breakers and I have GT loom/ecu/etc/etc and a mk1 needing a clutch. Damn you for making me ponder!
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

nuttinnew wrote:^^^^

:idea: there's an ABD in a local breakers and I have GT loom/ecu/etc/etc and a mk1 needing a clutch. Damn you for making me ponder!
Well its what Ive got in my GT as well and [linda barker] I think it works really really well...[/linda barker]
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

The 'other bits' would help as wel. Hmm....do you find it a bit short geared with the GT box? Have you had it rrd?
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Ive put an 8p on it. Which i think has made it slower than a standard gt in higher gears but given me a higher top speed. (and better economy) It goes very well in the lower gears just not so well in 5th.

I had it rr'd at the JBS rr day last month and got 75.6bhp and 73.3lbft of torque. But I think we were all agreed that the rollers were under-reading slightly. (there were a few disappointed faces anyway). Steve (86c) got almost identical figures on the day as my 1.4 (1bhp more and 1lbft less torque than me) and the month previously he got 90bhp at stealth and 80lbft of torque. I was still running standard GT exhaust (with cat) and standard chip at the time. By the rr day at aldon in jan I will have a full ss exhaust system (bar manifold) and a poloace chip (already fitted that) Hoping against hope that i get the magic 100bhp. :)
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

8) Should notice more benefits in lb ft than bhp though I'd've thought. Intrigued by the graphs, guess I'll find out next month. I take it the 1.4 has the GT cam in it now?
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

yeah I salvaged everything from my knackered GT engine, you need almost everything except the head and block.

One of the reasons I suspected under-reading was the fact that 73lbft is only the same as a 1.3GT whereas the standard 1.4 figure is 78lbft. So yeah id expect torque to be up as well! but Ive gained alot more power (over std 1.4) than I have torque.

edit - you coming to the rr day next month? The graph i got from jbs was very good. flat torque curve from about 2250 "all the way" to 5500 rpm (the 1.4 isnt the highest revving in the world)
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

Spooky, thought mpi would make more of a torque difference compared to spi. Bring on the chip :P
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

I'll be there next month, hopefully in a mk1 but failing that (it's bstard cold and wet outside) I'll be in the mk4 1.3 spi; biiiiiig power :D