GT airbox and airflow q's

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
mk2keel
Bronze Member

GT airbox and airflow q's

Post by mk2keel »

I was thinking about making a new airbox and using some ducting create a sealed induction kit sort of thing for my coupe S as i was planning to webber it. Had a brainwave recently that may make life alot easier.
Will the Gt airbox bolt straight onto the engine bay of the mk2 (there are 2 bolts on the driver side of the bay where the airbox would be on a GT so i guessed it would)

Would a 1.3SPI airbox fit on the 32DMTR webber? (more importantly a 1.4 mk3 golf airfeed that is a direct replacement for the airbox on a SPI)

Would the GT airbox join with the mk3 golf airfeed without any/much trouble?

If all of this fitted easily and worked well in conjunction i would rig it up and use a cone filter or a panel filter in the GT airbox to create a uprated airflow system for my Coupe S

cheers guys.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

I was going to do exactly that on my mk2. I dont think I will bother now though as the bolts on my pierburg are too small for the golf tb elbow. (they take 8mm nuts whereas the ones on the golf tb elbow are all 10mm ones, I think theyre 10mm on later mk2s but its been a long time since I had a late mk2 so i dont know anymore. I put a post up in the mk2 section about this the other day im sure i did...

Oh and the GT airbox does go on those two bolts yes as the mk2s from C reg onwards had fuel injected engines on the higher spec cars so they had all the airbox and stuff to match. only problem is is youd have to leave the afm on (wont really matter as it only measures airflow and shouldnt affect the runing of the engine) and to connect the two together you might need a shoter (And larger diameter) pipe than the GT one as the apperture on the 1.4 tb elbow is huge!
metz

Post by metz »

the gt airbox has 3 holes..my inner wing has 3 studs..but maybe still fits..also why not geta passat airbox and put pipe from it to gt airbox instead..not sure what the air flow meter would plug into though.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Gareth_GT_Hatch wrote:Oh and the GT airbox does go on those two bolts yes as the mk2s from C reg onwards had fuel injected engines on the higher spec cars so they had all the airbox and stuff to match.
Fuel injection on high spec mk2's..? How high spec are you talking about? I assume this must be european spec mk2's only, I've never heard of a UK registered fuel injected mk2 apart from ones modified with mk3 bits..
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

Yeah european GT spec mk2s with the MPI engine and mk2 G40's
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Hmm. Might have a prod around ebay.de in that case :D Although, a 1.3 engine might help first :oops:
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

Get the bits off of a GK engine code eurowagen; 75bhp carb :wink:

Also form I think it was '89 it was a UK option to have a cat which meant having an injected engine though I can't remember what spec, probably an nz.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Oh yeah.. I never put 2 and 2 together on the catalyst models... not that there were ever many around, very few people are willing to spend huge amounts of money on something that restricts performance :? But I think I'll keep an eye out anyway, you never know..
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

only prob keel is you will be missing out on all that lovely noise, plus the air is colder with a bolt on. the aibox design is to run on injection mainly because they couldnt get bolt on filters set up properly
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

i would rig it up and use a cone filter or a panel filter in the GT airbox
cone filter ie bolt on (tomato tommaato i guess :wink: )
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

not quite, a bolt on that sits on the carb allows a much better airflow, These things have been tried and tested to ensure optimum mile/gallon and maximum power benefit whilst maintaining a good noice. The GT uses an airbox to make up for the flow meter and the wiring to control this. CArb doesnt need any of that.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

GroovyCarrot wrote:
Gareth_GT_Hatch wrote:Oh and the GT airbox does go on those two bolts yes as the mk2s from C reg onwards had fuel injected engines on the higher spec cars so they had all the airbox and stuff to match.
Fuel injection on high spec mk2's..? How high spec are you talking about? I assume this must be european spec mk2's only, I've never heard of a UK registered fuel injected mk2 apart from ones modified with mk3 bits..
yeah sorry I meant european models (like the G40 for example) and the GT had the NZ engine.
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

the late german mk2's did have the NZ and 3F engines. thats why the late mk2 has the studs on the drivers wing
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

Overmind wrote:not quite, a bolt on that sits on the carb allows a much better airflow, These things have been tried and tested to ensure optimum mile/gallon and maximum power benefit whilst maintaining a good noice. The GT uses an airbox to make up for the flow meter and the wiring to control this. CArb doesnt need any of that.
Hmmm. A bolt-on will suck in a lot of warm air because of where it sits. This is probably a good thing on a carb'd car as it'll be less prone to carb icing than a setup sucking in lots of colder air. On injection icing isn't really an issue (theoretically it could be on the SPI models, but they got a heated inlet manifold to deal with that) so they can deal with colder, denser air for that 1-3bhp or so gain that you'd get.
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

Overmind wrote:the late german mk2's did have the NZ and 3F engines. thats why the late mk2 has the studs on the drivers wing
Yeah, NZs were available from '86ish onwards IIRC. The 3F was only available for the last 6 months or so of Mk2 production - I assume that's what late Mk2 GTs used, rather than the 75bhp high compression GK engine.