New Polo 1.4S power/acceleration.

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
mike w
New

New Polo 1.4S power/acceleration.

Post by mike w »

My Polo 1.4S just doesn't have the pulling power I expected, struggling on the slightest incline in 4th gear, necessitating a change down to 3rd. The basic 1.4 Golf (which supposedly has the same engine) seems to just zoom past me on hills and away from traffic lights. In fact, the 1.2E which I test drove, seemed to be much more flexible to drive. Maybe the engine management system needs tweaking. Does anyone else have this trouble?
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

What wheels have you got? a higher un-sprung weight could cause this.
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

it could be to do with gear ratios
what you need is more torque and there is an affordable and undoable (if you want to sell) and its a power system, for deatails please contact josh
SilvaGTI
Getting There!

Post by SilvaGTI »

<car bore mode>
I dont think there's much difference in power between a polo 1.4 and a 1.2. 65 vs 75 8v bhp if i recall. Max torque in the 1.2 is lower down the rev range it probably feels a bit faster when you're not revving it aswell
</car bore mode>

Something tells me i've been looking at the new polo brochure for too long :roll:
Ian
Bronze Member

Re: New Polo 1.4S power/acceleration.

Post by Ian »

mike w wrote:My Polo 1.4S just doesn't have the pulling power I expected, struggling on the slightest incline in 4th gear, necessitating a change down to 3rd.... Does anyone else have this trouble?
Yup - got a MkV 1.4s 16v (75bhp)- mentioned a few weeks ago that it was a dog compared to the 1.4cl 8v (60Bhp) I had before - it's still a dog :evil: Wish I could get my hands back on the old beast - the engine was a peach 8) . Though I had suspension and wheels done at weekend (can't see what it looks like yet as I'm in Denmark)...however, the missus says it looks "..it looks nice" :roll: Hmmm.

Will be getting k&n sorted when I come back - so will see if that makes any difference.
dxg

Post by dxg »

I got a bit a suprise earlier this week in my 1.4 - it was really struggling to make it up a prolly about 1 in 2 ramp out of an underground car park. Barrier at the bottom of the ramp, so had lost all momentum, then had to crawl up in 1st. You should have heard the noise it was making echoing back off the concrete walls. :?

Deek.