What engine oil?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
dxg

What engine oil?

Post by dxg »

Well, to get myself out of a tricky situation I had to chuck half a litre of 10w-40 Magnatex(?) synthetic oil in it - I was on the way back from inters and took a gamble not having the handbook to hand :roll:

Anyway, looked it up this morning expecting a spec, but all it says is:

Oil for long life service: VW 503 00
Multi-grade high lubricity oils: VW 500 00 or VW 502 00
High lubricity oils: VW 501 01

Does anyone know what these oils are in industry standard terms (and which one I should be using)?

This would be really helpful as I kind of guess the stuff bought from the dealer won't be cheap!

Do you think using generic oil would affect the warranty - there's no way they could tell, surely?

All this is for the 75hp petrol, btw.

Any help very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Deek.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

lol, dxg. I didn't see you at inters!! You could have shown us your Polo!!

Basically, the oil for the new Polos at the moment can only be bought at VAG dealerships. Halfords were supposed to be stocking it months ago but here we are now and they still don't have it...

Ask for SLXII oil (spec 503.00 as mentioned in your post) part no. ZGB115CLB00300 (sad that I can remember that, eh? :oops:)

Just make sure you're NOT given the bottle with the green label as thats TT/S3 only!!
dxg

Post by dxg »

I didn't see you at inters!! You could have shown us your Polo!!
Yeah, I think the next time something like this happens, I'll hang around until I've seen everyone! Bit of a missed opportunity.

I did see your car though, parked up next to Mole's. You can definately see the lowering on it.

I just a bit suprised at having to buy branded VW oil - any previous car I just threw whatever came to hand into them.

I'll speak to my dealer when I get a chance next week - I'm sitting here struggling to get work complete, having taken yesterday off - but it was worth it!

I guess having half a litre of the "wrong" stuff in it shouldn't make a difference, or should I book it in for an oil change?

(At least I know the oil light works - makes a lurvely chiming noise too!)
((It's not like I'd run out - the oil was still (just) above the lower mark, no overheating or roughness)).
(((And it did turn over this morning - phew!!)))
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

dxg wrote: I did see your car though, parked up next to Mole's. You can definately see the lowering on it.
Glad you said that :) The rear still hasn't settled properly, gonna give it some stick tonight and see if I can get it to go down :?

Your car should be fine if its only 1/2 litre
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Last edited by Babe RuthLess on Mon May 19, 2003 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Last edited by Babe RuthLess on Mon May 19, 2003 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dxg

Post by dxg »

I can't recall if our cars in the UK have that sticker -- I don't think they do. But remember that I'm talking about the 1.4 75hp petrol above, we can't get your engine! So, don't worry about the viscocity being different, I'd just follow what the sticker says. Might also be worth noting that the oil bought from the dealer was just standard Castrol branded "SLXII" stuff. It did say VW 503.00 on the label, though.

Also, you have to pay close attention to what they try to sell you. I explained what engine I had, asked for 503.00 and got handed a bottle of 505.00 - it even said "diesel" on the label!! - took a fair bit of arguing with the dealer to convince him that he was trying to sell me the wrong stuff!!

Deek.

(I'd wait to see if Nelson has anything to say - he seems to know his stuff in this area).
dxg

Post by dxg »

I quick scan through my photos gets this image:

So we don't have the sticker.

A few interesting differences though:

1. Different grill - look at the vents on the top edge.

2. No ecu cover - but then some UK cars don't seem to have this either.

3. No pointless(?) badges on the engine to remind you what size it is(!!)

4. Yours is a lot cleaner!

5. Nor has it been eaten by mice (the green fluffy stuff on the bulkhead)!

Doesn't look like you have the aero wipers, though :(

The whole black cross-member (I know it has a real name, but I can't remember it) is different - look at the webs on the trailing edge behind the lock.

The wings are slightly different too! - next to the brake fluid resevior - you have a slot, we have a rubber buffer - must be mounted in the slot.

:getsanorak:

Deek
Last edited by dxg on Mon May 19, 2003 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

Here's a pic of mine!
The grille looks the same as the first one... not sure about the other bits, but incase you wanted to compare...

James.
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Just trying to help, folks.

Had the posts edited just in case.

As for the engines being different, VW oil, fluid, whatever specs are the same across the world, so I though that might have helped.

Cheers,
dxg

Post by dxg »

Babe,

This is just a typical thread that starts on one subject and ends on another. I kind of guess it's dead now.

Deek.
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

dxg wrote:Babe,

This is just a typical thread that starts on one subject and ends on another. I kind of guess it's dead now.

Deek.
you mean i AM in the mk6 forum :shock: :P
and mrs ruthless (babe :wink: :P ) feel free to leave the pics up as they help us see what vw are doing across the world and what MIGHT come to the uk
leonsmith
Bronze Member

Post by leonsmith »

Nelson_Wilbury wrote:
Basically, the oil for the new Polos at the moment can only be bought at VAG dealerships. Halfords were supposed to be stocking it months ago but here we are now and they still don't have it...

Ask for SLXII oil (spec 503.00 as mentioned in your post) part no. ZGB115CLB00300 (sad that I can remember that, eh? :oops:)
I popped into Halfords at the weekend and they had it. Castrol SLXII 0w30 - silver container - actually says 'approved for audi and vw' - £12.99 for a litre, £39.99 for 4 litres

Apparently VW sell it cheaper, but it's useful if you can't get to a dealer easily.