Erk!

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Mine's still at it, and I've done about 200 miles with the new belt so far. Really doesn't seem right to me.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Well I think one of the problems with these square toothed belts is they need to bed in. Because youre putting a new belt on old pulleys there will be a bit of play. And with the teeth being sqaure it probably allows more movement untill the belt wears itself into the right shape for the pulleys. The round tooth design of later engines is much much better. because the edges are rounded theres less need for it to bed in. and theres twice as many teeth and theyre twice the depth, which means in theory they will last longer.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

it was at least a couple thousand - but if you're worried, change it again..
VF_Marshall
Getting There!

Post by VF_Marshall »

I found that if the belts too tight, it whines like crazy. I set my cambelt so that you can twist the belt through 90 degrees on the run between the bottom pulley and the camshaft pulley. Also, do it with the engine hot - this seems to help.

Cheers

Vic
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Cheers for that, I found out this afternoon that that was the problem :) The 90° rule was a bit vague, didn't know whether to set it so that I could only just turn it, or so that it turned quite easily to 90° but not much further, so I went for the tighter option :oops: Didn't think for a moment that it'd sound as bad as it did..

Also, I had a slightly bent camshaft sprocket, so I changed it for another one that I had in the shed, which is also a bit wonky but a lot better than the last one. I'll get a straight one next time I'm at the scrappy.

Thanks for all the advice guys :D
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

funny thing is i checked mine for alignment and the twistability and they were both fine. it was just whiney for a while. odd.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Hmmm, I'll re-adjust mine tomorrow then weather permitting. I could twist it through 90 degrees with a bit of effort. Ill give it a go myself and see if it stops
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Yeah, at first I set mine so I could just about twist it but it took some effort. Now if I really try I can just about turn it 180° if I really try, but 90° is quite easy. Sounds sweet as a nut now.. if you ignore the rattle coming from under the car that's just developed, need to look into that really..
VF_Marshall
Getting There!

Post by VF_Marshall »

GroovyCarrot - I've got a few of the cam pulleys in the garage, all good as new - if you want one it's yours...

- Vic
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Oh, nice one.. if you wouldn't mind, that'd be great. Doubt my scrappy would want much for one, but it's a pain in the backside to get them off. My email address is carrot@groovycarrot.co.uk, let me know how much you want and I'll send you some money and my details :)