Aquavalver's new GTI-now with pics!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Re: Aquavalver's new GTI-now with pics!

Post by Aquavalver »

t.small wrote:Your paintwork is immaculate mate! Absolutely stunning. I use poorboys too. Did you put anything over the top of it?
Also, where did you get the rear number plate lights from?
I know this sounds stupid but I'm not used to the lights on these cars. I used to have a Saxo so changing a bulb was as easy as anything but on these I'm not too sure. Any advice? Looking at changing the sidelights too. Cheers :)
Cheers! No, not put anything over it yet. I also got some black polish-forgot the name, will find it shortly! I will polish it again shortly and then put some wax over for the winter.

I got the number plate lights from ebay, but then found another places selling them for a few £'s cheaper after I'd paid! :? Afraid I'm not that much help with the light bulbs! Like you, I had a mk.2 Golf and 6N Polo where changing them was easy as pie, as you may have noticed, it's not so easy on the 6N2 Polo GTI! I ended getting place to fit them who also did a couple of other little bits on the car. I've also just ordered some new HID bulbs and sidelights which should match a bit better. There's so many different types of sidelight bulbs, but some are not so bright, some a bit blue and others look quite ugly!
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Aquavalver wrote:
t.small wrote:Your paintwork is immaculate mate! Absolutely stunning. I use poorboys too. Did you put anything over the top of it?
I know this sounds stupid but I'm not used to the lights on these cars. I used to have a Saxo so changing a bulb was as easy as anything but on these I'm not too sure. Any advice? Looking at changing the sidelights too. Cheers :)
Cheers! No, not put anything over it yet. I also got some black polish-forgot the name, will find it shortly! I will polish it again shortly and then put some wax over for the winter.

I got the number plate lights from ebay, but then found another places selling them for a few £'s cheaper after I'd paid! :? Afraid I'm not that much help with the light bulbs! Like you, I had a mk.2 Golf and 6N Polo where changing them was easy as pie, as you may have noticed, it's not so easy on the 6N2 Polo GTI! I ended getting place to fit them who also did a couple of other little bits on the car. I've also just ordered some new HID bulbs and sidelights which should match a bit better. There's so many different types of sidelight bulbs, but some are not so bright, some a bit blue and others look quite ugly!
You're welcome. If I have the time and can be bothered I'll usually stick some turtle wax over the top once I've buffed the Poor Boys off. My pictures never come out like yours though, your Polo just looks amazingly shiny!

Ah okay, well I'll have a little look on eBay. I bought some LED bulbs to replace the originals but they're really awful quality and I broke one of the black mounts where they go into so when I saw your picture that came with the black parts I thought I'd ask because that's ideally what I need. Yeah, to be honest, I have no idea how to change a front sidelight/headlight bulb on the 6N2 GTi! That's probably what I'll end up doing then I guess. Yeah....I guess I should do some research! :roll:
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

t.small wrote:
Aquavalver wrote:

You're welcome. If I have the time and can be bothered I'll usually stick some turtle wax over the top once I've buffed the Poor Boys off. My pictures never come out like yours though, your Polo just looks amazingly shiny!

Ah okay, well I'll have a little look on eBay. I bought some LED bulbs to replace the originals but they're really awful quality and I broke one of the black mounts where they go into so when I saw your picture that came with the black parts I thought I'd ask because that's ideally what I need. Yeah, to be honest, I have no idea how to change a front sidelight/headlight bulb on the 6N2 GTi! That's probably what I'll end up doing then I guess. Yeah....I guess I should do some research! :roll:

Pretty sure these are the ones I bought:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK4-4 ... 4ab7cde45c

There were some other sellers of them at the time, though they don't seem to be selling any at the moment!
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

With new light switch fitted:

The red on the 'I' on the GTI badges had faded a bit:

New pressed UK font number plates with Volkswagen racing number plate surround. New red-stripe fitted to grill and re-did the red on the 'I' on the GTI badges!
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

Cars looking Grand dude,all the little bits tidying it up are what really make them look spot on.

Keep it up.
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

Bradley wrote:Cars looking Grand dude,all the little bits tidying it up are what really make them look spot on.

Keep it up.
Cheers! It's surprising how much difference all the little bits make you the more of them you get done!
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Aquavalver wrote:
Bradley wrote:Cars looking Grand dude,all the little bits tidying it up are what really make them look spot on.

Keep it up.
Cheers! It's surprising how much difference all the little bits make you the more of them you get done!
Exactly that! Thanks for the link. Also purchased a new light switch the other day so looking forward to getting that fitted to mine too this week! From what I hear it's a very simple job - pull out and unplug/plug new one in right?
Endi_GTI
Gold Member

Post by Endi_GTI »

Spot on mate. The little things make the bigger picture :wink:
slarner
Bronze Member

Post by slarner »

I love the light switch ive been thinking about getting one for ages!! i do like the Black GTI'S!!!
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

Thanks guys! :D

Here's a couple of pics at E38:
quiksilveralex
Bronze Member

Post by quiksilveralex »

Mk2 Looked awesome dude! As does the polo! Have to keep an eye out for you as I noticed on your ed38 username your local! I work in Medway (From Whitstable) do you go to Prept?
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

quiksilveralex wrote:Mk2 Looked awesome dude! As does the polo! Have to keep an eye out for you as I noticed on your ed38 username your local! I work in Medway (From Whitstable) do you go to Prept?
Yup! Gone to Prept for the last few years. Used to go in the mk 2. then the 6N (standard apart from 16V bumpers, 6N2 rear lights and Estoril alloys) and now the 6N2 GTI. New wheels coming soon!
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

Decided the brake calipers needed freshening up! The rears were particularly bad!:
Removed the loose flaky paint!:

Wire brushed it all to prep it for new paint:

All fresh and painted!:

And all four with the wheels back on:
Endi_GTI
Gold Member

Post by Endi_GTI »

Looks lovely dude. Keep up the good work
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Nice job on the calipers! I gave mine a quick go a few weeks ago but only the rears, never got around to doing the front. Did you just use a wire brush to remove the flaky paint? I gave it a good go with one but couldn't get all of the paint off. Some came off real easy and other bits were pretty difficult.