Aquavalver's new GTI-now with pics!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Aquavalver's new GTI-now with pics!

Post by Aquavalver »

Hi! I'm quite new to the forum and have mk.2 Golf's for years and then had my mum's old mk.3 Polo coupe as a daily after I had the Golf resprayed until that got written off due to a dodgey road surface! :cry: I then got a dragon green 1.4CL 6N which I've had for nearly 4 years now. I sadly had to sell the golf last year due to the recession and earning less with more bills! Anyway, I thought it was time for a new car and something that I could tinker with & enjoy more + feel part of at shows & meets, so I set out looking for a 6N2 GTI! :)

I looked at 7 in all -4 silver, 1 red and 2 black in various conditions (all were meant to be nice!) and mileages, but really I wanted one less than 80k miles and in as mint condition as I could find for the money I had. After looking at the first 3 (2 silver and 1 red), I realised that it would be better to spend a little more to get one in nicer condition without bits being sprayed here and there and less dents & scratches etc + of course lower mileage. I then found a black one with low miles, but it needed the rear bumper spraying, had lots of small dents and scratches everwhere + the driver's seat bolster looked a bit more worn that I would have thought for the low miles, so I decided to still look around. I arranged to see one in Leicester the weekend just gone (as I'm in Kent, so quite a trek!) that was advertised on here and keep looking in the mean-time. I phoned up about 2 on Thursday night -a black and a silver one, the silver one already had someone going to see it friday evening and I arranged to see the black one on Saturday morning. When I saw it, it was very clean, low miles and the interior was nearly like new! It drove lovely too, so I was really keen on that one. :) I phoned about the silver one to see it was still available and it turned out that the guy didn't go on Friday evcening in the end, so I went to look at that one. It had low miles, but not as low as the black one and hadn't been looked after nearly as well either. There were a few scratches and dents, the headlights were nearly a yellow colour and was nowehere near as good as the black one, so I left that one.

Sunday I trekked up to leicester to see the other silver one and it was really nice condition. It had coilovers too which I would ideally like and I would have been happy with the car, but it wasn't quite as mint as the black one that had a fair few less miles too. Black had never been my favourite colour, not because I don't like it, but because it takes a fair bit more effort to keep it continually looking clean! But really, I thought I had to go for the cleanest car that would last me the longest (touch wood!)

More details on it + pics once I get her back home! :wink:

This is the build thread to my old Golf GTI 16V if anyone's interested!:
http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.p ... opic=90512
Last edited by Aquavalver on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Re: Aquavalver's new GTI

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Welcome to UK Polos :)

Good choice on picking a black one, your right they are harder to clean but its certainly worth the effort because they look immenses when polished & waxed
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

6N2 GTI 00 wrote:Welcome to UK Polos :)

Good choice on picking a black one, your right they are harder to clean but its certainly worth the effort because they look immenses when polished & waxed
Thanks! :D Do you use any particular polish on black ones? Obviously you don't want any polishes that leave a chalky residue/dust! I found Jetseal 109 pretty good as it went on easy and came off easy without any residue/dust. My old mk.2 Golf GTI 16V was white so the compete oppoiste colour! :D
Endi_GTI
Gold Member

Post by Endi_GTI »

Welcome to the Forum

Nice choice and good shopping around ha. Although a red one would be noticeably faster :wink:

Look forward to your progress and pictures,

matt
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

Endi_GTI wrote:Welcome to the Forum

Nice choice and good shopping around ha. Although a red one would be noticeably faster :wink:

Look forward to your progress and pictures,

matt
I do quite like the red ones as it's a nice bright red, but the only one I saw had some areas resprayed in a more orangey red! Funnily enough I actually have a spare wing for red one! Wanted to look at another a distance away, but strange stuff going on with the ad/price/seller etc! Rang up and the seller said he was a trader and had taken a deposit and dropped the price by £500 on the first evening of putting it up for sale which I thought was quite strange! I phoned a day later and left a message, to see if it was sold or still for sale and he didn't get back to me. It's now up for sale again, with a slightly higher price, one same photo without the extra ones and different phone numbers! :? Anyway, the mileage on it is quite a lot more than the one I'm buying!
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Aquavalver wrote: Thanks! :D Do you use any particular polish on black ones? Obviously you don't want any polishes that leave a chalky residue/dust! I found Jetseal 109 pretty good as it went on easy and came off easy without any residue/dust. My old mk.2 Golf GTI 16V was white so the compete oppoiste colour! :D
The best stuff to use on a black GTI is Poorboys black hole glaze mate, it's quite pricey but lasts ages and you will be blown away by the results.
I started using this stuff 3 years ago and haven't stopped since, brilliant product :)
As for the Wax then either Collinite 476 or Dodo Juice wax are good choices, although often the poorboys black hole glaze is enough

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Poorboys-Blac ... 1c28c78056
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

6N2 GTI 00 wrote: The best stuff to use on a black GTI is Poorboys black hole glaze mate, it's quite pricey but lasts ages and you will be blown away by the results.
I started using this stuff 3 years ago and haven't stopped since, brilliant product :)
As for the Wax then either Collinite 476 or Dodo Juice wax are good choices, although often the poorboys black hole glaze is enough

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Poorboys-Blac ... 1c28c78056
Thanks for that. Just ordered some! Is the polish black? If so, I'd better wear disposable gloves when putting it on! :lol: Not too expensive as what with showing my old Golf GTI at shows, I'd bought lots of different polishes and waxes etc. I have a big plastic crate of it all!
V Bachetta
Getting There!

Post by V Bachetta »

haha guess what buddy, SNAP, im just as new as you are with my 6n2 GTI. You seen my posts on ED38, thought i should joing the other fellow dubbers with Polo's.

Get some pics up dude.

Veejay
Ashcroft
Gold Member

Post by Ashcroft »

Welcome to the club matey :-)

Hope to see yours very soon it sounds like you've got a nice 1 :-)
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

V Bachetta wrote:haha guess what buddy, SNAP, im just as new as you are with my 6n2 GTI. You seen my posts on ED38, thought i should joing the other fellow dubbers with Polo's.

Get some pics up dude.

Veejay
Ashcroft wrote:Welcome to the club matey :-)

Hope to see yours very soon it sounds like you've got a nice 1 :-)
Finally, had time to give it a good clean and polish & get some pics! :D Vacuumed the interior, wet vaxxed the floor mats and cleaned the red trim on the mats, gave the red stitching on the steering wheel a clean, then the morning of the show washed and dried it, then once at the show washed and polished the wheels & tyres, polished the paintwork with Poorboys black-hole glaze and all the windows! That kept me busy for a few hours! :lol:

Joycey
Bronze Member

Re: Aquavalver's new GTI-now with pics!

Post by Joycey »

Looks like you've managed to pick yourself up a really tidy example mate, you got many plans for it in the future?
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

Joycey wrote:Looks like you've managed to pick yourself up a really tidy example mate, you got many plans for it in the future?
Yup! Here's a few little things:
Was a little annoyed after the vacuumed & wet-vaxed spotless interior was made dirty by a passenger a day later!

New real carbon fiber key-ring!:

New door grab handles as the previous one's mat finish coating had peeled a bit:

New door handle inserts for same reason as the grab handles:

New driver's side electric window switch surround for same reason as door grab handles etc!:

New GTI grill badge:

New number plate surrounds as the current ones have a Skoda garage on them!:

The polish I used in the previous pics of the car!:
Joycey
Bronze Member

Post by Joycey »

Love the keyring :-), its all the little things count, ive gotta do the grab handles and Inserts on mine soon its still got the originals and they're looking a bit tired
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

nice
Endi_GTI
Gold Member

Post by Endi_GTI »

Reflection perfection. Looks real nice 8)