well this summer i will be redoing the ice so i need you

Discuss In Car Entertainment
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

well this summer i will be redoing the ice so i need you

Post by polo2k »

ok ill start with my spec now and then ill tell you what i want, then my ideas and then i really need your help deciding what to do
---------------------------
i am planning to redo the boot as at the moment its reasonably punchy but when you really want it to stop your heart theres not enough sub bass to satisfy i.e. with a dance track i can easily push the beat at silly volumes but on garage music or test tones below about 80Hz theres not enough

so...
at the moment on the bass front i have 2 10" sony X-plods running off a sony X-plod amp but theese are the early ones so they dont push as hard as you would expect for the power they take :(

and then... and den...and den...and den... and den...
im thinking off adding some larger subs but since i have a huge sub box and a 5 door this means completely re doing the boot, id like to get a reasonably stealth look so that if i want all you see is black carpet at a higher leval than normal but so that i can also have a bit of show :D
i dont want to get into the realms of 2 ohm 2000w twin voice coil and class D mono block amps but i am willing to put a little money into it ( im flexible but not rich :P )
my ideas are as follows
2x 10" and a pair of 12" or 15" each pair running of a 2 channel amp and i will be rewiring with 0 gauge and keeping my power cap which is rated at 1 farad but i can still get dancing lights so i may double it upnow the problem is i have pout out feelers for my sub box "as is" and theres not been much interest so if i could i might re use the components (amp, subs)
now i have to choose if i can get a buyer then what do i get and here are what ive come up with
2 10" xplods and 2x 12" x plods running off x plod amps (this means i could sell only my sub and reuse the amp for the 10`s)
same as above but with 15" instead of 12
2x 10" pentagonal xplods and 2x15" pentagonal subs running off new amps (also might do 12")
2x10" kicker squares 2x12 or 15" kicker spuares with undecided amps
or possibly i might do just circular subs
as you can tell i do have a preference for sony as most of my kit is sony and im not too keen on mixing brands unless its for a good reason
also has anyone got any pics of some similar setups in hatchbacks (preferably mk4 or 5) but any hatch not vw specific

thanks in advance and as you can tell i do need your help to create somthing that can really push some Db`s and still look really good (ps the amps will most likely be hidden most of the time)
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

Get one big MoFo 15'' sub with a massive RMS rating with and amp to match. Then get two 8''s or 10''s with a lower rating.

The 15 will handle the sub bass and the other will sort the quality side of it. See my uodated pics in Members Rides for some layout ideas.

Or even better would be 2 15s in the boot (any of your choice) with some 6x9s in each of the doors.

Dont forget to check the frequency response of the subs your buying, theres no point buying new subs if there not going to drop much lower than the ones you've got. the freq response will tell you how low it will drop.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

ok then could you recoment a frequency respionce to look for and why go for a 15 instead of an 18? woul;d the 18 sound too "flabby" because i do like it to sound tight
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

18''s are only really used in competition SPL cars, cause the amps needed to drive them tend to be huge, so you probably wouldn't be able to fit it in your car without removing the rear seats. These tend to produce the deep sub bass that you don't hear, you FEEL it. 8)

Most good subs will drop to 30KHz.

So ideally you should be looking between 30KHz - 200KHz. Its the bottom range that will be most important to you though. Let your door speakers do the higher stuff
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

ok then one more :d
is the optimum shape of a sub box cube? or can you account for volume with little triangles and stuff
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

Theres no such thing as a 'sub box' really anymore. Just look at some of the fibreglass installs doing the rounds at todays show.

All you have to do is get the dimensions correct.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

ok thats good cheers mate it means i have a few more options
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

right im doing my reasearch and so far its looking like im gunna keep my 2 10" subs (XS-L1030) withe the amp there running off and all one off theese
running off one of these
thats a 15" sub rated at 400W rms and 800 peak (Xs-151p5)
with a responce of 15-2000Hz
and the recomended amp is
the D1000p5 which is 500W RMS @4ohm

the cos of this should be (from the rrp ive seen minus my work discount) about £250 if my maths are right so now i have to find out the recomended volumes for my existing subs and then incorperate the volume of the 15
ps just found this pis of someone running 64 yes sixty four of my 10" subs in a van
nutter! and its ONLY at 161.1 Db
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

now concidering that i want the 10" subs to be there for the clarity and the 15" for the "rumble" shouuld i port the boxes or not because from what ive heard if you port a box you get a lot more of the sub bass so i thought that if i:
port the box for the 15" and leave the 10" in 2 seperate sealed boxes then i should get the best fitting sound concidering my requirements
am i right here or have i been looking at too many ratings:?:
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Seal the 10"s and Port the Big 'un
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

You've picked a good one there Ash. With the sub going right up to 2000KHz it should reproduce quite good quality mid bass as well. There not quite as powerful as i thought they were (but manufactuers do tend to underquote figs, which explains why they recommend a 500w amp), my 12 is rated at 700w RMS and 1000w peak! 8)
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

im gunna try and get a bigger crack than you (oooh er)_ in the window
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

How about two JL 12W3's in a sealed box ? That would kick out some serious bass with a decent amp.
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

Sounds like a challenge! at the next show the loser replaces the winners rear screen? :D 8)