Picked up 1.9 TDi Sport!

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
leonsmith
Bronze Member

Picked up 1.9 TDi Sport!

Post by leonsmith »

Just swapped my Polo 1.6 16v GTi (W) for a new 1.9 TDi Sport. Only done a couple of hundred miles but am really pleased so far. Interior is SO much better designed than previous car - a much greater feeling of space and storage cubby holes all over the place. Better dash layout and more gadgets - multi function computer is a welcome addition. And the Sport looks really good with its slightly lower sports suspension and mine has the 16" San Marino alloys with 205 tyres which make a huge difference to looks over the standard 15" jobs. The turbo diesel engine makes for a very different driving experience (red lines at only 4,500rpm!) and is a joy to drive - but i'm looking forward to the run-in period being over!

Had the (apparently quite common) dashboard squeek now and again, but i'll sit tight and see if it passes on its own. The front loading CD changer is stuck in eject mode too, which is a bit of a shame, but will be sorted quickly.

It's a 5dr silver model, i'll post some pics soon.
Mikeyw
Bronze Member

Post by Mikeyw »

Good one! The 16" wheels does make a difference and mine is getting better the more miles I do. 8)
dxg

Post by dxg »

That sounds very nice -- it didn't take you long to update you signature piccy :wink:

Do you have the red MFA in between the dials?? I'd be really interested in seeing photos of what different things get displayed on there...

Deek.
leonsmith
Bronze Member

Post by leonsmith »

dxg wrote:Do you have the red MFA in between the dials?? I'd be really interested in seeing photos of what different things get displayed on there...

Deek.
The MFA is the standard small LCD one beneath the rev counter i'm afraid, much like a Mk IV Golf GTi that I had once. It's a bit of a pain because the outside temp and clock are on the MFA too, so you end up endlessly flicking through it! The red panel in between the clocks just contains all the warning symbols etc. No, it's not as good as the full size red mfa that I had on a borrowed Passat SE the other week :(
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Forget the redline at 4500, mine has never seen it, you only need to rev it to 3500 for max torque.

Can't believe you got those Alloys, I was put off cause of the price. Lucky swine.

Did you get any other extras? Like the fully automatic Climatronic, I don't think anyone here has upgraded to this yet, even though it's only a £300 premium.

Des
leonsmith
Bronze Member

Post by leonsmith »

des_pd_ tdi wrote:Forget the redline at 4500, mine has never seen it, you only need to rev it to 3500 for max torque.

Can't believe you got those Alloys, I was put off cause of the price. Lucky swine.

Did you get any other extras? Like the fully automatic Climatronic, I don't think anyone here has upgraded to this yet, even though it's only a £300 premium.

Des
I'm sure you're right about the top rpm - all the torque is very low down - should be great on motorways!

I was quite lucky and got the car from UK stock rather than waiting 8-12 weeks for one from the factory. The car I have has the colour pack - colour coded mirrors/bumpers/body strips etc, the winter pack which includes heated front seats, heated washer jets and cruise control too. It also has the 16" San Marinos. I got a fairly good deal from VW on this car because they wanted to get me a car quick but I didn't want to pay top notch for all these extras that I didn't really want/need. I'd have probably got the 16" barcelonas if i'd have ordered a car from the factory as they are £500 cheaper!

No, I don't have climatronic, just standard climatic. I probably wouldn't have bothered with this either because I had it on a rental car once and never ran it on full automatic mode because it runs the air con unit all the time and hits your mpg and performance quite hard. The unit looks good in the dash mind you! :wink:
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Some good extra's there, you'll love the Heated seats in the Winter, I had them in my V5 but not on my Polo :( I'm kicking myself.

I run the Climatic all the time but do not always have the a/c button on, I do not notice a power loss at all, I know some of the 75bhp guys notice a drop, maybe it's accentuated more with Climatronic.

The car is superb on the motorway and with wider 16's should be more stable.
Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

Post by Ballyhoo »

nice care mate, very similar to mine (1.4 tdio se) and I'm getting some BBS 772's 16" fitted this weekend whihc should make it look sweet.

I'd reccomend getting the bodykit as it makes a nice difference,

oh and welcome to the best forum for polos! 8)
dxg

Post by dxg »

So...

how many miles did you put on it in it's first weekend of life? :D
leonsmith
Bronze Member

first weekend.......

Post by leonsmith »

dxg wrote:So...

Just about 300 miles on her now since Thursday :wink: I have a 50 mile roundtrip to work so the miles will soon pile on.

Loving the car more and more - it really is so much better designed than the Polo GTi I had before. Don't get me wrong, the GTi was a great car, but it's amazing what they've managed to do with the new Polo and a few cm's of extra space here and there. It's good to be back on 205/45/R16's, and the diesel engine, whilst I can't 'play' with it much at the moment, is a pleasure to drive - loads of pull and impressively quiet on the motorway, much quieter than the GTi. All this, and I averaged 53 to the gallon this morning on the way to work :D

One question for everyone; Where do you stash the vehicle handbook? The GTi had a special compartment at the side of the seat, but I can't find anywhere for it on this? :?:

Oh, and cd changer was buggered - they've ordered me a new one, but they're on back order. Bit of a blow, but never mind.

btw: Checked the price of this special Castrol 0w/30 oil approved by VW & Audi at the weekend. Halfords sell 4l for....wait for it.....£39.99!! Ouch! Fortunately, they do 1l bottles for £12.99, like the one VW gave me when they handed the car over...did everyone else with a TDi get this?

Overall: very, very pleased!! :D
Mikeyw
Bronze Member

Re: first weekend.......

Post by Mikeyw »

leonsmith wrote:
dxg wrote:So...

One question for everyone; Where do you stash the vehicle handbook? The GTi had a special compartment at the side of the seat, but I can't find anywhere for it on this? :?:

Oh, and cd changer was buggered - they've ordered me a new one, but they're on back order. Bit of a blow, but never mind.

btw: Checked the price of this special Castrol 0w/30 oil approved by VW & Audi at the weekend. Halfords sell 4l for....wait for it.....£39.99!! Ouch! Fortunately, they do 1l bottles for £12.99, like the one VW gave me when they handed the car over...did everyone else with a TDi get this?

Overall: very, very pleased!! :D
As for the handbook there are compartments under the seats which you can pull out.

Yeah, I've got the free bottle of oil as well but be aware as the car will drink oil! Luckly, my oil levels are okay.
leonsmith
Bronze Member

Post by leonsmith »

Mikeyw wrote: As for the handbook there are compartments under the seats which you can pull out.

Yeah, I've got the free bottle of oil as well but be aware as the car will drink oil! Luckly, my oil levels are okay.
I didn't think it fitted in those under seat compartments, i'll have to try it again! ... update .....just checked, and it definately doesn't fit in them :?

My salesman told me to check the oil every week, for a few months. I've seen a few posts here saying that some VW's were coming into the UK already low on oil, but mine was fine, full up nicely.

How much oil have you used? litres/miles covered.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

leonsmith wrote: O

VW/Audi sell it in the dealership for £11.40, they don't do four litre bottles though :)