gt revv counter on a 1.0l

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
m193twa
Getting There!

gt revv counter on a 1.0l

Post by m193twa »

is it possible to fit gt clocks with a rev counter to a 1.0l match???
if so how do you wire the rev counter up???
also can the miles be changed 2 suit my old clocks???
cheerz
metz

Post by metz »

Hiya mate,
The clocks just fit straight in with no wiring mods..take old ones out put new ones in done.
As for the miles..you just swap your speedo into the gt clocks *4 screws*

heres a couple of guides for you :-

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... highlight=

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... highlight=

If you get stuck msg me on here and i will meet you and give you a hand as i'm not far away.
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

i've got the rev counter just never got round to putting it in! it is ment to be really simple! wasn't there something about peoples beeping at them, summit to do with two sensors instead of one or summit?? :?
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

you can put the GT ones in but it'll have the wrong redline / limiter line for one thing

best off getting hold of some genesis ones instead, they'll be almost guaranteed to work
Karl_CLCoupe
Platinum Member

Post by Karl_CLCoupe »

doug&dan wrote:i've got the rev counter just never got round to putting it in! it is ment to be really simple! wasn't there something about peoples beeping at them, summit to do with two sensors instead of one or summit?? :?
It only seems to be an issue on 1.3s as far as I'm aware, and affects cars L reg onwards. Someone called LogIK managed to fit the GT clocks to his L reg 1043cc Boulevard without any issues though I think he did say his was a late registered 'phase 1' Mark3. All I can suggest is try and see.

Karl.
pete69zx
Silver Member

Post by pete69zx »

I recently fitted some GT clocks from a 1990 GT into my 1.3 CL (1994 L plate). So far.... no problems :?
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

Tahrey1043 wrote:you can put the GT ones in but it'll have the wrong redline / limiter line for one thing

best off getting hold of some genesis ones instead, they'll be almost guaranteed to work
The ones I sold you were from a Genesis :)
LogIK
Silver Member

Post by LogIK »

It will effect any MK3 that only has one oil pressure sender on the back of the cylinder head. This includes some L registered MK3s and all M registered.

I think it's quite difficult to determine what L reg is actually a "late spec." Mine has a bit of a mix. Although it doesn't have a late spec jack, didn't have late spec lights, has two pressure sensors, but it does have a late spec rocker cover and late spec ECU.

What you should do is look on the back of your cylinder head. You should see two black senders popping out of the head, that have a single wire coming out of them. If not, it will have a blanking plug where the second one goes. If this is the case, you will have the dreaded oil buzzer problem if you fit those clocks.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

toXXin wrote:
Tahrey1043 wrote:you can put the GT ones in but it'll have the wrong redline / limiter line for one thing

The ones I sold you were from a Genesis :)
I know mate, that's why I was saying! :lol:
Works a charm so it does...
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

LogIK wrote:It will effect any MK3 that only has one oil pressure sender on the back of the cylinder head. This includes some L registered MK3s and all M registered.

I think it's quite difficult to determine what L reg is actually a "late spec." Mine has a bit of a mix. Although it doesn't have a late spec jack, didn't have late spec lights, has two pressure sensors, but it does have a late spec rocker cover and late spec ECU.

What you should do is look on the back of your cylinder head. You should see two black senders popping out of the head, that have a single wire coming out of them. If not, it will have a blanking plug where the second one goes. If this is the case, you will have the dreaded oil buzzer problem if you fit those clocks.
What's the rocker cover difference? Saw one of the late spec ECUs for the first time down at Steve's the other day - they look very similar to the Mk4 ECUs.

The newer jacks are miles better - my '92K for some reason has one, so am surprised your L-reg didn't. Guess it's typical random VAG quirkiness! The older style gold-coloured ones are crap, it's far too easy for the car to come off them.
LogIK
Silver Member

Post by LogIK »

The late spec jacks were the ones where the spare wheel was mounted upside down, and the jack located inside, wasn't it?

This is my rocker cover:

Notice it doesn't have the VW badge on it.
pete69zx
Silver Member

Post by pete69zx »

LogIK wrote:Image
Very clean m8, nice :wink: