Had to call VW assistance last night...

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Nelson_Wilbury

Had to call VW assistance last night...

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

What I originally thought was an 5052 idling adjustment turned out was getting much worse (stalling at junctions, two new exhaust clamps etc) so I decided to give VW assistance a call. First person I spoke to didn't show much concern as it was 'a dealer problem', fair enough I thought but after that phone call the car would need to turn over about four times before it started :x So I gave them a call back and pointed out that if it stalled on a busy junction or roundabout i'd be sending the repair bill to them. Well, today at 9am on the dot sure enough a VW assistance bloke was here.

Anyway, after 10 minutes with 5052 and a quick prod under the engine cover he found out it was actually the throttle body which was causing the problem and would eventually pack up completely, he advised me to contact Assistance again with regards to a courtesy car and get the car to a VW dealership immedeately on Monday morning.

Called VW assistance, was told that I may be too young to have a courtesy car as the usual age limit is 24>> but they will give me a call back to see what can be done. Kinda makes the idea of assistance a bit pointless! I've read about similar problems with Mini drivers (lots aged 17-24) who just cannot get courtesy cars because of there age.

So i'm not too happy at the moment, car was booked in two weeks time anyway for rattles but the chance of me getting a car from the dealership at this short notice is slim to none :?
ciden
Bronze Member

Post by ciden »

You go and demand a courtesey car! This age limit thing is bull sh*t (pardon me French). If you're old and good enough to buy a car from them, your equal in every aspect to someone older than 'the age limit'!
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

true that but not again at the same time because whn i usedto have my golf when the gearbox die i was left without a cer for 3 weeks (cue fiat panda with 50psi in all 4 tyres hehe dorifto!) but last ear when the rad blew on my polo i was given a clito as a courtesy car for 1 week however it was from hertz anbd they paid the bill. i suppose it all depends on things ike the dealer and how busy they are etc

ps niel did they say what the problem was with the TB?
does any one kow if the 6v and 12v TB`s are interchangeable (you mentioned a totaled one to me the other week)
if not then try and et the old TB back and then knife edge the butterfly cos that way if needs be you still have the stock one to swap back
ciden
Bronze Member

Post by ciden »

<---- fetches the 'new english dictionary'
dxg

Post by dxg »

Bummer, not good news.

BTW, what's a "5052 idling adjustment"??

With regards to the car - if you want a VW get a courtsey one, but you'll probably have to put it on your own insurance (my dealer does this for everyone, irrespective of age).

But, as it's a warranty repair (presumably), you will be entitled to a hire car (although you might have to push for it - but, then, it's no cost to the dealer - just passed on to VW - but it is more hassle for them) - this will have insurance included, but it'll probably be a vauxhall of some kind...

Deek.

(remember, "the fastest car is a hire car" :wink: )
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

ilde adjustment is dont via a computer on DBW (brive ny wire) engines and this requires a vag com or 1551 machine

ps about the hire car thing we have a moterway near here with a big hill on it and that 1.2 clito felt scary when you get to about 115 not that id know of course :wink:
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

It gets much worse!!!!! :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The bloke disconnected the battery on this occasion and I've just taken the air box off to give it a good clean.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I turn on engine and roll down the window. But wait, its no longer one touch!! :x

So I've now lost ALL the convienience functions as well!!!

* Radio: Code that I was given with instruction booklet not working, so now I'm without a radio, this is what i'll miss most :evil: :evil:
* Reverse rear wiper not working
* Reverse air reciculation not working
* Touch windows not working

Whos betting my useless dealer will say they can't be coded in, i'm really on the edge of my sanity here, its not owning a VW thats stressful. Its the people in the company!!
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

I'm pretty sure if it's anything fixable under warrenty that means you can't drive the car, the dealer should provide you with a courtesy car whether they have to hire one or not.

I had a problem when I was 19 and the dealer said they couldn't provide a courtesy car as I was under the age of 21 and they can't insure me.
So I told them to hire a car from someone who will then!! :evil:

...and they did :)

James.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Also, I left my number for VW so Hertz* could call...

Hertz Bloke: Hello, Mr Laney?

Me: Yes

Hertz: We understand you want to borrow a vehicle

Me: No, I don't want to borrow a vehicle. I'm entitled to one but I imagine your gonna say no.

Hertz: Umm....right. How long have you been driving?

Me: 8 months

Hertz: Well, I'm afraid you need to have at least a years experience of driving. What we can do however is register the vehicle in your Mum or Dads name and they can drive the vehicle while you drive there car...

Me: (agitated) Firstly, they are in Malta. Secondly I'm not insured in either car and I don't think my Dad or my insurance company would let me drive around in an Audi A8

Hertz: Well I'm afraid we are unable to help you Sir.

Me: (REALLY losing my rag with this bloke) Right, bye then :evil:

Perhaps I should ask VW for a refund on my Assistance because I feel I'm being really short changed here...

And to top it off the dash rattle is back again :cry:

* Company wasn't actually Hertz but another company whos name I couldn't remember :wink:
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Petrified wrote:I'm pretty sure if it's anything fixable under warrenty that means you can't drive the car, the dealer should provide you with a courtesy car whether they have to hire one or not.

I had a problem when I was 19 and the dealer said they couldn't provide a courtesy car as I was under the age of 21 and they can't insure me.
So I told them to hire a car from someone who will then!! :evil:

...and they did :)

James.
Just spoke to VW and used the same tactic, but they were having none of it :(

VWA: 'If you can find someone who'll insure you we'll pay the costs'
ME: But thats YOUR job, I need a car I drive 60 miles a day!
VWA: Well we only use *company whose name I can't remember*, we can reimburse £52.00 a day for Taxi or train travel
ME: I left it there because they're clearly not budging. The b*****ds aren't even showing any sympathy :roll:

VW Assisance is a joke and even 'Customer Service' don't even care!!
Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

Post by Ballyhoo »

Nelson: You are clearly being messed around here, if I had as many probs with my Polo as you(Ive had a few annoying ones) have had, then frankly I'd tell the dealer they can keep the the car and I'd want a direct replacement(that is faultless)-reject the thing!!! :x

You clearly have had enough and well the problems you've listed on this forum just seem to be mounting up-where do VW draw the line? Mate, I feel sorry for all the hasle you've experienced and basically take it further-speak to trading standards maybe and find out where you stand, but I wouldn't have your car back if I were you-good luck-hop you get it sorted.
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

Try getting your insurance company to cover you on a hire car, then send the bill on to vw. It sounds like they are offering to pay but just can't be bothered to find somewhere.

James.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

for the functions you have lost they are mostly vag com needed problems exept for the windows which are easy
turn on ign
roll window all the way up and hold the switch in the up position for about 10 sec
see if they work if not repeat procedure but in lowered position i.e. roll down window and hold switch for 10 sec
after this it should work
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

whats the difference between a VW dealership and a hedgehog?

with a hedgehog the pricks are on the outside!
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Nelson,

this is bad, bad, bad.

Don't worry about the functions that disappeared after the VW bloke disconnected the battery though - that's due to CAN-BUS being reset. The dealer - or a garage with a copy of Vagcom - must be able to bring it all back online. When I had my Fiesta I'd lose the remote control for the doors everytime I had it serviced at Ford's, they'd disconnect the batt and so the keycode would reset. Everytime.

If you have keyless entry then check if it's still working because the code might have been reset too.

As for the courtesy car, if you can't find a hire car company that'd take your insurance, then simply make the dealer bleed: have them pay for you to be driven around in taxi or something. Again, I done this to Ford and sure enough the next time I needed a courtesy car there was a bombed-out Ka waiting for me.

I can only imagine what you're having to go through, it's simply terrible. Do ring all government agencies that concern your case - I'm not familiar with the British ones.

Also, I don't know much about British or EU law so I won't go that way, but I do think that if your car is still under warranty, you can have it replaced if you find the faults to be too serious of if you can't get decent service from VW (remember the dealers are designated by VW to be its representatives) in repairing the faults.