Delayed reaction on acceleration.

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
clees
Bronze Member

Delayed reaction on acceleration.

Post by clees »

Help.. recently i've noticed that when i've been driving my 2001 polo GTi for a while it becomes a little sluggish when accelerating. So say for instance i give it a little boot at some traffic lights, it seems to think about it then breaks into acceleration.

Hard to explain, but hope it makes sense!!

Any help??

cheers Christian
DNK69
New

Post by DNK69 »

Hey guys im having the same problem. Noone has replied to this post. Any help please??

Clees have u had any luck in sorting the problem??
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

Mine does this, pulling away from something you think you should be much faster than, you get worried for like the first 2seconds of first gear as its still along side you, then it comes to life all of a sudden.
DNK69
New

Post by DNK69 »

yea that happens plus with mine it happens in all gears. ive been beaten at the lights by much smaller engine cars cause of this problem. noone can tell me what is wrong.

Someone on here must know the problem??? :(
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Is the "lack of acceleration" at low revs as you boot it and stay in gear? If so my reasoning would be that the delay in power is down to the torque not coming in strongly until higher revs, peak power is 152Nm (112 lb. ft) at 3300rpm I think? So below that there isn't as much pull maybe?

Just a thought!

Or maybe it's the ECU mapping that does it...?
DNK69
New

Post by DNK69 »

no matter wat the revs there is still lag. :(
Blackie
New

Post by Blackie »

i had this problem and new spark plug leads fixed the problem.
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

I replaced the airflow box and got my power back, the rubber seal inside had perished, could be same for you?
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

only happens to mine at low revs when flooring it. So is most likely to be like si says for me.
DNK69
New

Post by DNK69 »

I think i will get both checked out. I just hope one of these solves the problem. Car has been like this 4nearly a year :(
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

Mine does this too!

I thought it was normal because all the power is really after 3000+ and when the VVT opens the valves more but it still feels sluggish at low revs, like it would rather not go.
I replaced the airflow box and got my power back
which part is this? the bit that connects into the throttle body?
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Mine is pretty impressive at low revs when I floor it, so hopefully it'll just be something simple that won't cost you a fortune.
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

andyg wrote:
I replaced the airflow box and got my power back
which part is this? the bit that connects into the throttle body?
Hi,

No, not on the throttle body, on the air in-take pipe, here is a pic of the location:

Sorry, I deleted the pic of the worn rubber seal inside the part. Couple of screws and the jubilee clip, disconnect from pipework and its out, part can be split in two, has clips along the side, so you can see the rubber seal to check or just look down one end.

When I got the new one, VW had redesigned the seal on it, much more tougher - this could be a common problem/design fault. I actually found bits of the rubber seal inside the air filter box upon the throttle body! glad nothing went inside the engine lol

Once it was changed over, I felt a massive increase in power/reaction to the acceleration :D

If you need more help let me know, can get you part number etc.. :)
DNK69
New

Post by DNK69 »

Inder that bit u got circled is not there in the GTI. There is piping there which is connected to the air filter but then there is nothing else. the piping jus goes down the side to bring in cool air.
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Maybe someone could circle it for you on my pic (if they can see it)