successor to your GTi

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
andyg
Silver Member

successor to your GTi

Post by andyg »

I was pondering what car I will get to replace my GTi when it gets too expensive to run. I can't think of anything with an equivalent spec (and looks) that I could afford.

The only car that I think looks as good as the GTi and has same or better spec is the mk5 golf gti. The polo is such a wicked little design, I wanna keep it for as long as possible, i think because of the limited production run that it will become a rarity like the corrado (which still looks good).

I am biased cause its my car but i cant find a fault with the design, I know the clutch isn't great and the gearboxes can be flakey but that aside nothing in its class comes close.

How long are you lot keeping your gti's? and what you gonna replace em with?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

As much as I love my l'il Polo I want a Golf mk5 GTi :twisted: but I can't afford it, so Polo stays! I'll probably keep her for a couple more years, I'm supposed to be saving for a house... so I might have the Polo for anything up to 6 years before changing, it all depends on how expensive she gets to keep on the road. Seems everything wants to fail or break in some way at the moment :roll:

But you're right, there's nothing else quite like it, and I'm very fond of the xenons 8) but I'm begininning to want more power, so a BMC and s/s 'zorst are planned next summer and we'll take it from there!
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

I've had my gti for 2 years come december and I think it will be time for a change, but I cant make up my mind... I'd keep it another year longer if it just had more power!

tempted by a leon cupra r, it's fairly subtle in the looks department, but still has more power than a new golf gti (which I think looks very boring)

I wouldnt mind a civic type r, but that's going to need driving very hard to get the best out of it I think

my alternative plan is to get something silly like a kit car (lotus 7 type), and then something more sensible (i.e. with a boot and roof!) for everyday trudging about

Oh I cant decide...
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Two years is that kind of time when you start getting that new car itch I guess...
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

Im gunna buy a 1.9TDi 130 9n2 next... revo'd to 185bhp.. thank you very much!
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

Planning on keeping mine until I finish Uni and start in a full time job, which could be anywhere up to 3years.

Having driven a Mk5 Golf GTi 2weeks ago, quite frankly it's the only car I can genuinely see replacing the Polo. Although talk of the new Polo GTi is tempting, I think by the time to change comes I'll have had enough of Polos. Diesel is a non-starter, because as much as the torque is impressive it's just not enough to tempt me to the black stuff.

Only thing that puts me off another VW is the fact it involves VW dealers. But I think for the awesomeness that is the Mk5 GTi I might even be willing to overlook it.
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

I second what you say about the Dealers. Glad they kept the neat blue dash for the mk5 gti, driving the polo at night is a whole new experience :)
moynas
Silver Member

Post by moynas »

Had the polo nearly 2 years now and i really want more power!
Been to look at a scooby and a cupra r but i cant part with it yet!!

My Mind says buy a new vw caddy van go self employed sell the polo, earn a load of wage then treat myself to something nice and powerful for the week end!!

Or be the first and charge my baby GTi!!

O what a position to be in!!
gwbjs
Getting There!

Post by gwbjs »

Had my GTi coming up a year now and despite the problems (clutch, cv joints, pedal box) I have enjoyed owning her. I agree with you in saying that there is nothing out there with similar spec and build quality, which makes changing all the more difficult.

Having said that, I have been tempted by the Clio 182, but everytime I sit in one, the cheapness puts me off. I reckon it's one of these hatches that every enthusiast should own though, a bit like the 205 1.9 GTi (which I owned and loved). Other considerations have recently included the Fabia VRS, Mini Cooper S and bizarrely enough a Golf Mark 3 GTi Anniversary (just for the BBS rims and interior really).

Likelihood is I'll still have the GTi until at least after Xmas, when a big pay rise and promotion should happen....(wishful thinking :? )
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

130TDi PD Polo...

Thank you please
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Obviously, I went for the Fabia vRS, which I love.

I think it's a good choice, with similar spec, (apart from only having normal a/c, not climatronic) but in a more modern package (and it's a hell of a lot easier/cheaper to get a big power increase from!). Did I also mention I pay the same monthly for it as the Polo?

If I'd got the money, I'd get a new Golf GTi, but I haven't, and to be honest, my Fabia is easilly as quick as one (in it's current state of tune). so I'm not all that fussed. :roll:
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

Id love to have a drive of your car josh before i go for the similar polo GT package!
Roper
New

Post by Roper »

Try a Honda...
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

Audi S3...yeah baby!
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

I was overtaking a couple of cars the other day and an S3 overtook them and me like I was going backwards. Id like one too, feckin expensive though, 20k is lots of dough.