52 Polo Rear Wiper

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
IansMusical
New

52 Polo Rear Wiper

Post by IansMusical »

Hello All,

I'm presuming there isn't a separate washer reservior for the rear wiper? I've just filled the front reservior and the front wash/wipe works fine. However, the rear wash/wipe works but there is no water, no matter how long I hold the stalk down!

Anybody experienced this? Has the tubed kinked anywhere, become blocked or broken?

Regards,

Ian
M7
Gold Member

Post by M7 »

i believe its a common fault of the rear washer failing. not sure exactly how but mine seems to stop working all the time. its wipes, but no water.

i think the water hose comes off somwhere, not sure where though. the dealer can fix it on warrenty
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

Or try do it yourself, if you remove the internal plastic lining of the boot, you will find the wash pipe and if its come off (and therefore leaking in your boot lol) push it back on where it should be and all should be working fine again

On a MK5 polo, the lining is clipped around the edges and held in place with two screws, one in each boot 'handle' on the inside. Should be the same for you

Hope helps
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Dont keep doing it!! You'll get water everywhere! lol

Take it to VW if its under warranty tell them that you know its a common problem with them and you'd like it recitifed
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

lol yep, could damage the boot electrics too

if under warranty, prob an idea to go get them to do it in that case,
IansMusical
New

Post by IansMusical »

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your replies. I've just had a look in the boot for a pond! but it's totally dry! I've looked behind both bits of carpet at the sides and where the spare wheel is, nothing there!

Inder you mentioned the black plastic part on the hatch itself. I have found the two screws in the handles, removed them but couldn't remove it. Do you happen to have pics, a guide or do I need to leaver it somewhere?

Regrettably the car is out of warranty but if I can't do it myself then I'll have to take it the dealer.

Thanks,

Ian
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

Yep, with the screws removed, the only thing holding it in place are the clips around the edge of it. Lever it with a plastic tool or something that won't damage it from a corner and work your way around. It will come off, but can be very stubbon, esp. if its the first time being removed.

Don't worry if you break a clip or two, as long as the majority are fine, it will go back on with no problems and the the two screws will hold it tight to the boot door.

With it off, you can investigate it further, pipe could be off or blocked, or maybe the water jet itself is blocked.

Good luck :)
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Firstly you may wanna check the engine where they connect to the water tank thing. As my rear wash pipe had popped off in the engine not the rear of the car.
Vdubber
Sponsor

Post by Vdubber »

I had that problem on my 04 plate 9n.

It wet the boot catch sensor and the boot open light would flash on and off while driving. It even set the alarm off during the middle of the night. I took it to VW under warranty and they fixed it straight away.
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

i had that same problem with my ibiza mk4 and it turned out that the pipe had popped off and the washer stuff was spraying in2 the boot lining!!!
i got it rectified by the dealers but it wasn't covered under the warranty!!
IansMusical
New

Post by IansMusical »

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to update you so far in the hunt for rear washer fluid, I mean it's not exactly a big car :-)

Ok today I removed the hatch black plastic lining only to find it as dry as a bone, all connected fine in there. Removed the pipe and tried it but no fluid.

If anyone would like copies of the photos I took showing clips etc then please send me your email address or is there somewhere I can upload them?

However, what I have noticed is dripping from under the front passenger floor/footwell. The carpet is dry to touch but I can't help but think someone mention this already?

Otherwise does the pipe connect near the passenger A pillar or something?

Thanks,

Ian
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

Is it not your washer bottle leaking, or a loose pipe at the washer pump?

My rear washer failed, the part that went into the motor shattered, so when you put the rear washer on it squirted all over the boot and trim.
IansMusical
New

Post by IansMusical »

Hi Tom,

No the washer bottle in engine compartment is fine, no leaks dripping etc and the connections on the hatch are secure, no leaks there... in fact there is no fluid getting to the back! However there is dripping from the front passenger floor/footwell but the carpet is dry to touch!?

Thanks,

Ian
PoloMonkey
New

Post by PoloMonkey »

Iv just had this exact same problem on my car, rear wiper wasnt workin, checked the boot - nothing. popped the bonnet and got my dad to try and i could see the fluid spraying all over the engin bay, it was actually comming from under the ABS unit, have taken it back to the dealer who sorted it within an hour. apparently its a comment fault for the pipe to come off of the bottle when its cold. if its not under war it could be tricky to fix as the garage had to remove the air box, ABS unit and side pannel!!
GaryUK
Gold Member

Post by GaryUK »

Grr this has happened to me again today,

Already had this fixed once! :evil: