Norton Personal Firewall

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Norton Personal Firewall

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Since the site logo and information have been added to the Polo forum first page I cannot access this site unless I switch off my Firewall, I obviously don't really want to do this - anyone else had the same problem?
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

I haven't has this problem.

But if you turn it off once and add the site to your favourite list it should just load straight to the forum, if that makes sense. :?
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

come into the Forum and bookmark the Index. you should be able to get in with the Firewall on now but you will have to log in every time (ie it wont remember you)
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Tried that already, still the same prob.

Ahh well. Thanks for the responses.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Switch to Zonealarm.

No probs at all.

:wink:
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

I use the same Des and had bookmarked the main forum index so didn't notice the problem until you said.

I think the problem is the Ad blocking feature. The picture on the main page is called "banner.jpg" and I think the software then stops this from being displayed (thinking its an Ad). The way round this:

Goto Security Centre... Options... Personal Firewall....Then the web content tab... then under (Defaults) on the left hand side, goto the Ad Blocking tab on the right hand side... find /banner. and remove it. This should now work.

According to Norton help.... by permiting /banner. on www.tigerstyle.com it should overwrite the "deny" on the global list - it doesn't!!! I played with it for a good half hour and I can't get it to work like it should do.

If anyone knows anything more.... tell me!

Josh if you're reading, it might be a good idea to rename the image to something else that won't interfere with Norton. How many new members have come to uk-polos.net and not been able to get in!!!
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

At least I'm not the only one. I'll have another tinker later on when I get home and see what results I yield.

Maybe it's not just NPF users that have issues, don't want anyone not being able to access the site as when you hit this page it looks like the site is down :( Maybe you should also have an email link on this page - should anyone encounter problems, then at least you'd know about it and they have a way of contacting someone. If I was not already a member and hit this problem I probably wouldn't bother persuing it and just move onto the next (inferior) Polo forum.

We don't want that to happen.

Des
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Right, I've changed the name of the jpg to enter_site.jpg

Can you check to see if this has made any difference?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Yep sweet as a nut!

/me remembers this for future reference.
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Works a treat now, thanks guys.

D