Tyres

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Tyres

Post by ModifiedMadness »

I know this has been on here a thousand times, and I've noticed that A LOT of people really rate Toyo's, but what are the best to get. Mine are starting to feel a little sketchy from time to time, mainly in the damp, but I'm sure they should be gripping more than they do, even if I'm not going that fast the car feels as though its drifting as opposed to steering.

Also how much can I expect to pay for a full set fitted?

*EDIT* Tyre make, I meant to say Toyo's
Last edited by ModifiedMadness on Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

What size tyres are you looking for? What about Toyos?
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

:oops: Toyo is what I meant, they'll be whatever size the Standard GTi wheels are, 195/45/15 IIRC.
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

Ha ha ha, I thought it was weird, can't remember anyone really ranting on about the Pirellis! Having said that have Pirellis and they have been great, not had a problem with them and they seem to be pretty long lasting. I've not had Toyos myself but yes I had heard quite a fair few good comments about them. I've had Michelins but they were't so great in the wet...
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

Pirelli's are poo, never found anyone who thinks they're good...

Eagle F1's or Toyos are the way forward, about £60 ish per corner.

I put new F1's on the front with my old worn pirellis on the back and had lots of scary oversteer moments on roundabouts... not good in a fwd car! lol
GMANGTI
Getting There!

Post by GMANGTI »

yokohama a539 195/45/15 £212 fitted,guy comes round to my house and does it all. they are awsome tyres,gud in wet and dry,nice tred pattern and last!unlike rainsorts!grrr!lol

g
Prash
Silver Member

Post by Prash »

Easgle F1s all the way, great dry and wet grip and pretty long lasting too
CalvinGTI
Sponsor

Post by CalvinGTI »

mikegti wrote:Pirelli's are poo, never found anyone who thinks they're good...

Eagle F1's or Toyos are the way forward, about £60 ish per corner.

I put new F1's on the front with my old worn pirellis on the back and had lots of scary oversteer moments on roundabouts... not good in a fwd car! lol
Had Pirelli P-Zero's on my 17" , they were sweet as a nut in all weather, pirellis arnt simply 'poo' as you say. .
vr6south
Silver Member

Post by vr6south »

I have used Semprit tyres on the front of my VR. They have given good alround performance and have lasted 2 years so far :shock: Not sure if they are available in GTI size.
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

Yoko AVS Sports, good enough for a Vanquish S then they're certainly adequate for the GTi.

Haven't found anything else as good, shame they don't make them in 195/40/16.
gwbjs
Getting There!

Post by gwbjs »

Yokohama A539's are really good. Plenty of grip in the wet, which is useful when living in Glasgow! About £50 each fitted through www.blackcircles.com

I think they cover the rest of the UK as well, and allow you to select a fitter close to home. Worth a try for other makes of tyre as well as they have special offers all the time.........
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

CalvinGTI wrote: Had Pirelli P-Zero's on my 17" , they were sweet as a nut in all weather, pirellis arnt simply 'poo' as you say. .
I thought we were talking 15" wheels here?

I was told a while ago that tyre manufacturers sometimes change the construction of the tyre for different sizes, and in some cases for specific cars. So the 'same' tyre can handle differently in a different size

A colleague of mine has an Impreza WR1 and doesn't rate the P Zeros as well as highly as the toyo T1R's
CalvinGTI
Sponsor

Post by CalvinGTI »

yea yr prob right !

i need new tyres on me 17"s there really worn from a year and a half of abuse ! haha

Def gonna take into consideration everyones point b4 i go and buy some new rubber.

Cal
poussou
Bronze Member

Post by poussou »

GET THE TOYOS !!! :shock: :shock:

(the T1-R's of course..)
cjwardy
Bronze Member

Post by cjwardy »

Get the Toyo's. T1-S though.
Damn great tyre! Last long and great grip.
www.mytyres.co.uk for £45 a corner roughly!