Exhausted: now with pics (11/02) and video! (26/02) w00t!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Si_GTi

Exhausted: now with pics (11/02) and video! (26/02) w00t!

Post by Si_GTi »

First performance modification since buying the car really, truth be told! Unless you count filling up with BP Ultimate...

Some background for you: my sister's bloke had a 1.4 16v Polo 6n, which he had a Powerflow s/s cat-back exhaust system fitted to, that was finished behind the rear bumper as per the stock system. Sounded great, subtly sporting at normal revs and everyday driving, wonderful raspy snarl at high revs, perfect :)

I've wanted one for some time now, but I was swayed by the idea of a Milltek full system, only to find that they won't be developing such a system unless demand is over at least 20 confirmed orders. I spoke to Phil Millington (MD of Milltek) at Autosport last weekend and he said that although 2006 is a very busy year for them, when demand is not so high they will turn their focus onto older cars on their development list (the Polo GTi is on the list thanks to Ritey aka DMWRIGHT although he no longer owns the car). However, as I say, demand must be over 20 absolute confirmed buyers to go ahead with it, so no go.

So, to that end, I've just gotten off the phone with Unique Exhausts in Stafford, and the Polo is booked in for a Powerflow stainless steel cat-back exhaust with no tailpipe (finished behind the bumper) on the 4th of February :twisted:

There will of course be the option to have a tailpipe put on in the future if I ever decide to do so, but at the moment I would prefer to stay stealthy as IMHO it looks best 8)

Huzzah!
Last edited by Si_GTi on Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oscar olop gti
Silver Member

Post by oscar olop gti »

I'll Second that. How much they charging you :?:
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

8) Thats what I want done. let us know how you get on. Stealth is the way to go!
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

oscar olop gti wrote:I'll Second that. How much they charging you :?:
£200 fitted, I thought that was pretty good value IMO, I had planned for up to £250 but with no tailpipe going on the system it works out cheaper :)

The main aim is to have something that sounds sportier and maybe just a tad louder than standard, but certainly not too loud (ie. not deafeningly loud when cruising the motorways). If I get any more horsepower released as a result of having the system put on, then that is a very nice bonus! Could get 3 or 4hp extra do you think?
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

sounds good mate!! £200 eh? i paid about £215 for a Remus backbox a couple of years back so i think ur getting a pretty good deal!!!
(but u already knew that coz thats why ur buying it :D )
poussou
Bronze Member

Post by poussou »

I seriously doubt you'll be seeing great gains with a cat-back...

The 50 diameter of the Polo exhaust should be adequate for at least 150 BHP...

Although i would be curious to see how that goes...

Planning to dyno the car pre and after install ??
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

If I was going for a new exhaust, I'd like one like the Lupo GTi 8)
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

No plans at the moment to dyno the car, no. The plan is to get the exhaust system fitted, then perhaps a BMC induction kit before heading for Custom Code stage 1. That would be as far as I would take it on the performance front really. But I figured it would be sensible to have the exhaust and induction upgraded before CC because otherwise I won't make such a gain from the new code, or at least thats how I understand it.

The standard exhaust system is 50mm diameter is it? Is it worth increasing this at all or should I request the same - this Powerflow system is completely custom-fabricated, hand-built and fitted when I go to the garage on the 4th, so anything is possible!

Your advice is appreciated, thanks! :)

MM, unfortunately I think the spare wheel wheel would hinder your plans, but a carrying a can of tyre-weld would solve your problems! :P
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Si, there's going to be a fairly big sub box in my boot when I have the cash, so the spare tyre may be redundant :lol:

Either that or I'll try and keep it so the box can be removed just incase.

Just think the Lupo GTi one looks pretty mint, where is the spare wheel on them?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

I don't think they even have a spare! :shock: :D

I'll go check it out :wink:
Randall
Gold Member

Post by Randall »

£200 for powerflow cat back system :shock:

I went over to Topgear, Aylesbury to pick up my new alloy couple of days back (long story but theres been odd post here there explaining) and asked him for an approx cost on backbox's & cat>back sys

backbox £180
cat>back £320

So yes mate go for it, im still not sure whether to have this done as my car is about looks rather than performance only being a 1.4 MPI 8v

Rich
Baggy89
New

Post by Baggy89 »

Firstly Hello, I recently had a longlife exhaust (catback) fitted to my GTi and the increase in power is noticible. I think it gives me increase in pick-up lower down the rev range. I only had it done coz VW were wanting £350 to replace the exhaust, for the welds snapping as mentioned in another post. Definately would have it done again. Only thing is it "whistles" above 5000rpm in all gears????????????????????
Been meaning to take it back for them to look at, never heard of anything like this before. They're upswept DTM pipes so maybe airflow over the top. Like a milk bottle??????? :?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Strange, I've never heard of an exhaust system "whistling" before! Perhaps you should go back and get them to look at it like you say?

£350 to replace the exhaust! Looks like I have got value for money then, thanks for that :D

The upside of the Powerflow is the lifetime guarantee, so if a weld fails it is fixed free of charge. I presume Longlife do this too?

Welcome to the forum by the way :wink:
Baggy89
New

Post by Baggy89 »

Aye was worried to start with in case it was something to do with the straight through backbox. The VW one has a removable core apparently, which is why they are so expensive :?:
Sounds daft but i find it hard not to throw the wheels at take off, maybe it's because I rev it a bit harder now to hear the rumble tho.
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

Sorry to burst your bubble, but i was reading some reviews on Club Lupo and a good few people found that power was lost after fitting an after market exhaust on there GTi Lupos, it seems the exhaust is tweeked for best performance because the engine is already highly tuned. (supposed to be 100bhp and is from the golf)...

Just thought id let you know :(