6N2 - How to remove the headlight switch

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

6N2 - How to remove the headlight switch

Post by polo2k »

To remove the healight switch on the mk5 you can either take the dash to pieces like i used to or do it the easy way :D
1. Turn switch to 0 lights off
2. Push firmly on the centre of the switch (knob)
3. Turn clockwise till it stops(just before the sidelight position)
4. Pull

If you have to take the dash to pieces to are looking for a 30 torx under the switch going upwards, loosen this and pull the switch and it will come out (i think its with the suround so that you can just unclip it)
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Cheers for that Ash... Helped me out when i dropped something down the vent and had to take it all apart!
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

hey, my bro's got the fogs and the switch, when we tried the method u r saying, it wouldn't budge! if it wasn't for the bad weather conditions we were working in, we probably would of had the dash apart! any idea y ours felt like something else was holding it?
:(
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

it is the same on all mk5, mk6 polos and all mk4 golfs etc
switch the lights off
press in the rotating bit
turn for sidelights wile still pressing then it will lock and you can pull.
when you pull the light switch will come out
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

that is exactly what we did mate but the little bugger just would not budge at all :(
is there anything that you can think of that may be stopping it coming out? i mean we took a trip to our local veebub dealer to see if they could think of anything. unfortunately no service personel where there but a salesman did help us and after explaining our problem he took us to a polo on the forecourt to see if it was the same. the darn thing came straight out with absolutely no effort!! this is exactly how u described it would.
if u can think of anything that may be causing the switch to stick, i'm all ears. could there be a snag in the wire or could the original switch's clip be stuck or broken?
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

had a few more trials to get the switch out! we have now found out that the problem seems to be lying in those two clips that hold it in place, when the switch is pushed in the middle and rotated, the clips don't move, they stay in the out position! looks like the switch is going to have to be taken apart to get it out! eek! keep ya posted!