SPLUTTER CITY!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
RACINGGTI
Getting There!

SPLUTTER CITY!

Post by RACINGGTI »

Any suggestions on this fault folks?

Between 1000 & 2000 rpm a splutter / hesitation usually occurs.
Lately it's getting worse and in most gears. Has had a brand new clutch & gearbox fitted at VW plus had a full service not very long ago (months). Also seem to have a slight tinny rattle when revving the car out of gear (usually aroung 2000/2500 rpm)?
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

Hmm a rattle could potentially mean the cam belt tensioner, but its hard to tell from the description you gave.

If you didn't have the rattle I would suggest cleaning the throttle body and/or replacing plugs + HT leads. Not sure.
ICEYPOLO
Silver Member

Post by ICEYPOLO »

had the same problem with the spluttering and plugged in my mates VAG com which showed leads and (inlet?) temp sensor needed replacing... changed jus the leads for stadard parts and cured the problem...

scott
RACINGGTI
Getting There!

Post by RACINGGTI »

WILL GIVE IT A GO! My mate has one of those ecu computer things that plug in behind the cigarette lighter! will try that out!
RACINGGTI
Getting There!

Post by RACINGGTI »

spoke too soon!

just off out on sunday nite to a cruise and the engine warning light has come on!

seems to be well down on power with an intermittent splutter... any thoughts welcome...

gonna see about a diagnostic asap!
Reeyad
Silver Member

Post by Reeyad »

RACINGGTI wrote:spoke too soon!

just off out on sunday nite to a cruise and the engine warning light has come on!

seems to be well down on power with an intermittent splutter... any thoughts welcome...

gonna see about a diagnostic asap!
That happened to me, down on power it was mis-firing, turned out to be the HT-leads, which VW replaced under used warrentee as the car was only 2 weeks old.

Open the bonnet check the engine aint vibrating, keep it on idle and watch for abt 2 mins, if it does vibrate it may be the HT-leads arping, check for splits in the lead.......
Blackie
New

Post by Blackie »

i had the same problem, got my car back on thursday.new ht leads and temp sensor.the spluttering has stopped but can still hear a belt slipping from time to time,appears to be coming from the driver side of the car, the altenator area. from what ive read in the cam belt tensioner thread, sounds similar! :cry: :cry:
RACINGGTI
Getting There!

Post by RACINGGTI »

found the eninge management light came last night went off this morning then back on today. Took it to get checked out on my mates computer

Fault code P0135 O2 Sensor Malfunction Bank 1 Slot 1?

I guess this is the lambda probe? :?:
ICEYPOLO
Silver Member

Post by ICEYPOLO »

RACINGGTI wrote:found the eninge management light came last night went off this morning then back on today. Took it to get checked out on my mates computer

i would have thought the lambda probe would throw up an emissions error!? could well be the temp sensor as people have mentioned...

to be sure take the car to a dealer and get them to explain what the fault code means...

scott
metalblue
New

Post by metalblue »

RACINGGTI wrote:found the eninge management light came last night went off this morning then back on today. Took it to get checked out on my mates computer

try here http://www.gendan.co.uk/codebank/index.php for fault code definitions/causes