"HELP" Splitting BBS Wheels / Torq Bit

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
stu nwpoc
Bronze Member

"HELP" Splitting BBS Wheels / Torq Bit

Post by stu nwpoc »

Right, here goes :lol:

i managed to get hold of a Multispline 8 Torq bit and tonight i started to split my BBS rims, first rim went ok (just) and i split it quite easily, came to the second rim and 2 of the BBS bolts slipped and i have rounded off the bolts (meaning they are still in the wheel :cry: )

I have taken some pics of the first wheel and the second, i think the problem was the Torq Bit was bought second hand off ebay and it may (or may not) have been slightly worn (didn't look worn tho) and this is possibly what has caused them to slip ?!?! from what i have read i can get these drilled out and new BBS bolts can be sourced for about £1.75 each (ish) should i now purchase a NEW torq bit to do the other 2 rims or do you think i should carry on ? might get a new bit for when im re-building the wheels anyway ! aaaahhhhhhhhhh

Oh well, here goes

2nd Rim (2 bolts still in rim, top and right abit, bottom right abit again)

2nd Rim close up of Bolts

And now the 1st rim, split and ready for the tyre to be removed ready for the rim to get some serious wet n dry :D

Oh yeah, just to also add about the torq bit, it wasnt a completely snug fit in the bolts, there was a small amount of movement / play ????

Please can anyone help on what i should do next before a ruin the rest of my BBS bolts, is the torq bit correct having a slight amount of play when in the bolts ???
Giorgio
Silver Member

Post by Giorgio »

If they are not completely chewed to bits then you hammer in a larger size torq bit and try again.

A random tip fot undoing bolts that have been there for years : try and shock the bolt eg hitting with a hammer.

My 2 pence worth
Getting There!

Post by 99 »

I've just done a set of these and thankfully that didn't happen to me. Which is no use to you, I realise. There was very little play (virtually none) on my bit in the bolts, no more than you'd expect. I'm with Giorgio on this though: if you can get a bigger bit in to the damaged bolts, then give that a try before you get them drilled out.

Also, I believe that www.justmatz.co.uk are the boys when it comes to BBS spares. Maybe they can help with the new bolts you need?

I hope you get it sorted, man.

Thanks

Andrew
stu nwpoc
Bronze Member

Post by stu nwpoc »

Cheers guys, think im gonna have to buy another Torq Bit before i carry on, just checked out the justmatz website and they do sell the new BBS bolts at a very reasonable £1.20 each :D

My next size up Torq Bit is a size 10 which is way too big for the BBS bolts, unless they sell a size 9 ??? (don't think they do tho) im gonna have to get them drilled out :cry:

Im sure someone on here has had to have some drilled out ?????
vr6south
Silver Member

Post by vr6south »

Don't bother gettin the tyres removed. Just get the beading split from the rim on the edge you are polishing, this will leave you with more than enough room to work. Make sure that you cover the tyre if you are using paint stripper :!: . Once you have finished polishing you can then inflate the tyre yourself and away you go :wink:
stu nwpoc
Bronze Member

Post by stu nwpoc »

Thanks for the responce guys, i bought another Spline Bit on Monday and also managed to hammer in an allen key bit into the two that i couldnt remove and out they came no probs (so no drilling out of any bolts) managed to split the 3rd rim last night no probs and hopefully i will split the 4th tonight

Tyres are completely shot at (0mm tread ooooooops) so i need to get them removed anyway so might aswell do that before the re-furb of the rims :D
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

Good to hear you got them sorted there.

I had to have two bolts drilled out of my BBS's after the heads snapped on them. Engineering firm that did them said they were a nightmare due to them being titanium.

And yes, JustMatz were a great help to me as well.
stu nwpoc
Bronze Member

Post by stu nwpoc »

Cool, i will keep you guys posted on how the re-furb is going

Cheers Stu 8)
stu nwpoc
Bronze Member

Post by stu nwpoc »

Just to let you know that the 4th wheel has now been split and all 4 tyres removed 8)
BratManGTi
Bronze Member

Post by BratManGTi »

stu nwpoc wrote:Cheers guys, think im gonna have to buy another Torq Bit before i carry on, just checked out the justmatz website and they do sell the new BBS bolts at a very reasonable £1.20 each :D

My next size up Torq Bit is a size 10 which is way too big for the BBS bolts, unless they sell a size 9 ??? (don't think they do tho) im gonna have to get them drilled out :cry:

you chumps they arnt torq bits lol they are multi hex 12 teeth just like your drive shafts lmao
no wonder you stripped them
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

BratManGTi wrote:
stu nwpoc wrote:Cheers guys, think im gonna have to buy another Torq Bit before i carry on, just checked out the justmatz website and they do sell the new BBS bolts at a very reasonable £1.20 each :D

you chumps they arnt torq bits lol they are multi hex 12 teeth just like your drive shafts lmao
no wonder you stripped them
Yes, rule number one, identify the type of bit required when dealing with "spline" headed fasteners, could be spline, torx or ribe.