1.4 16v won't start

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
george
New

1.4 16v won't start

Post by george »

The car has been playing up for quite a while. There has been an intermitent fault for quite a while which manifested itself as uneven/low idle and cutting out at roundabouts. Sometimes the car would be hard to start and would turn over for ages without trying to fire. When it did start it would sound a bit rough for a few seconds then go back to normal.

I changed the fuel filter and it made no difference at first but within a week the problem seemed to be gone. Then one day the coil burned out and it wouldn't start at all. I changed the coil and off it went again.

On the way home yesterday it started the uneven idle thing again and now I can't start the car. It doesn't even sound like it's trying.

I have a new temp sender to fit, as the garage said that would probably be the problem, but I have read posts on failed fuel pumps and stuff, any ideas?

Sorry about the long post.
GavPolo
New

Post by GavPolo »

Sounds like a sensor to me. This happened to my m8 and he had the same thing with the engine stalling when at idle. I think maybe idle sensor or something lol.
ct.p
New

Post by ct.p »

Most probably a dead crankshaft position sensor.

Can you get the car read for faults ?
george
New

Post by george »

What kind of symtoms would you get with a dead crankshaft position sensor, and where is it on the engine?
george
New

Post by george »

It turned out to be the fuel pump ant the distributer. Both decided to give up the ghost at the same time. New ones are on the way from euro car parts, surprisingly pricey.

Fuel Pump - £100.55 + VAT
Distributer - £68.81 + VAT