For people who have had gearboxes fail

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Bryony84
Sponsor

For people who have had gearboxes fail

Post by Bryony84 »

Can anyone give me a rough timescale on how quickly they deteriorate. Mine has recently gone from making a faint grinding noise to a louder grinding noise and most recently a loud whine in low gears. Is it likely to fail before I have the chance to find someone to rebuild it/buy a rebuilt box!?
tomo87
Platinum Member

Post by tomo87 »

my first one went on for a couple of weeks making noises but my 2nd only lasted 4days from the first noise!!
Luke'sGti
Silver Member

Post by Luke'sGti »

there is no real timescale that you can put on it bryony from what i have been told. It can go after 2 miles or in my case approx 4000 miles :o
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

Mine started howling about 5000 miles ago and it still appears ok. No crunching yet, but the howling is getting worse. I drive it pretty gently, I don't know if that's why it's lasting for so many miles. I did thrash the hell out of it a few weeks ago and the noises got instantly worse!
Bryony84
Sponsor

Post by Bryony84 »

Yeh, i wasn't very nice to it on the way to santa pod last wkend, think that was when it got worse.

Going to ring around a few places at lunch - anyone know whether new box or rebuild of my current one would be cheaper?
Luke'sGti
Silver Member

Post by Luke'sGti »

i was told that a refurb of your box is better and make sure that they replace the bearings. If you got a new box all it would be is a re-conditioned one anyway - vw dont make them anymore - or thats what i was told.
Bryony84
Sponsor

Post by Bryony84 »

I wouldn't go to VW anyway, its between rebuilding mine or a new one from ace gearboxes!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Mine is on the verge of destruction - ive lost 2nd and 5th gears, and most gears crunch. Its going into VW next week for a new box.

Thank god for warranty repairs :D
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

alexperkins wrote:Mine is on the verge of destruction - ive lost 2nd and 5th gears, and most gears crunch. Its going into VW next week for a new box.

Thank god for warranty repairs :D
Is it really a BRAND NEW gearbox?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Oh yes. My VW dealership is very difficult- the staff dont wanna know half the time.

I put my foot down as, quite frankly, I am sick of them giving me excuses that there is nothing wrong. What they fail to understand is they aren't driving it every day of the week :P

After a month battle, I finally have a brand spanking new box going in :D
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Dee-vub »

i think mines only lasted a few days before totally going.....Started a really low whyne, especially when accelerating or decellerating, then got louder, then a sorta clicky knocking noise. Then lost 2nd gear. Got it sorted the next day, blew a whole in the dif casing or something :shock:
Bryony84
Sponsor

Post by Bryony84 »

Eek, mines booked in for a rebuild next wednesday, going to be driving it pretty carefully until then I think! If its only the bearings that need replacing, I've been told it will cost about £320
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

that seems like a decent price, does that include labour as well?

I called warranty direct and they wont replace my dodgy box until it totally fails. If the re-con only costs that much, I might just pay to get it done.
Bryony84
Sponsor

Post by Bryony84 »

Yup, its all in, although this was after and hour of phoning around til i find someone who knew about the problems with the GTI gearbox and had rebuilt one before.
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

May I ask which garage it is going to then Bryony?