9n with SEAT bushes??

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Jamo
Bronze Member

9n with SEAT bushes??

Post by Jamo »

I've read in several places that SEAT bushes are an ideal replacement for the 9n voided bushes on the wishbones. Like several members I am now suffering with the dreaded knocking, although now accompanied with an alarming amount of wear on the inside edges of my front tyres...
As a matter of urgency I am going to be replacing the bushes in several places, but before rushing out and getting more of the VW standard crap I am looking for a non-voided alternative ie SEAT CUPRA or a poly replacement. Suggestions on a way forward... ?
ceedubya
Silver Member

Post by ceedubya »

ya can put the seat cupra bushes in but they are a bit of a pain to do

powerflex bushes are alot easier to fit
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I have bought Cupra bushes and will get them fitted for me soon - I emailed Powerflex as there seems to be confusion as to what form the bush takes - the rear one. I worded the question roughly as follows "what form does the TCA rear bush take - is it a complete replacement or does it compliment the existing voided bush". First email said bush is a two part kit. I asked again as I needed to know what I was buying and asked if any special tools were required to fit it. Second email said "talk to garage about how they will be fitted". Well that did not inspire me with any confidance at all. The TCA front ones are easier I believe to fit, you just destroy the existing bush and replace it with a two part bush assembly. I read somewhere that the Powerflex TCA rear bush was just two bits that were fitted into the voids - and might need tie-wrapped in to stop them escaping. As said already the Cupra bushes are even harder to fit than the Polo bushes - they have an outer aluminium sleeve and these aluminium consoles seem very easy to destroy. Should really get an indep VW garage to do this for you - high mortality rate of consoles if not! I've just reread your original posting, u/s TCA rear bushes should only give rise to strange rubbing rubbery noises during initial braking and power OFF/ON (and accelerated front tyre wear), knocking is normally caused by the ARB collars breaking free - if your car is pre 2003 - this means a new ARB etc. Maybe you should check that the ARB is still okay and not allowing the cranked end sections to collide with the consoles - the aluminium bits that fix the subframe to the TCA and chassis.
Jamo
Bronze Member

Post by Jamo »

Good call - checked ARB... plastic end stops cracked and falling off. Got rediculous quote for repair so i've been in my garage with plenty of tools. Sat cursing underneath the motor and neighbour came round and announced he worked for VW stealer, said it was a difficult job and promtly offered to help take it all apart and fit new ARB and bushes! Score... whats new style ARB? Metal lugs instread of plastic? looking forward to a bang free dub!

:)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

"new style ARB" - yes the original ARBs had plastic lugs or stops, as this is a torsion device, the (hard) paint ended up cracking and allowing water in to the bare metal - this caused the area under the plastic stops to expand and split the plastic stops. The newer ARBs have metal stops tacked on to the ARB - this original design was, in my mind a typical Skoda "cheap no brainer" - remember the 9N Polo is really only a Fabia as far as all the running gear and platform is concerned. Everything that I have checked reeks of corner cutting - coil springs break maybe at half height, all the metal bits track rod ends etc are soft as muck! Somebody reckoned that Ford tried this trick (plastic ARB stops) in the early Mondeo. You should consider getting a four wheel alignment now that this work has been done. I have still to get my TCA rear u/s bushes changed with Cupra ones at an independant "VAG" garage and will get the alignment done at the same time. The dealer is meant to remove all four of the subframe retaining bolts one at a time and fit locating dowels in their place - so that the subframe can be refitted at very near the original position - even then four wheel alignment is advised. I think my independant "VAG" guy quoted £130 to replace both TCA rear bushes with Cupra ones and carry out the alignment.
Last edited by RUM4MO on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyberx
New

Post by cyberx »

Where can I get those :) :) :) :) :?: :?: :?:
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

cyberx wrote:Where can I get those :) :) :) :) :?: :?: :?:
If you mean the Seat Ibiza Cupra bushes, just buy them from a Seat main dealer. The p/n is 6LL 407 183 .
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Finally organised getting the TCA rear bushes changed from torn voided standard ones to Seat Cupra solid rubber type by Star Performance - great job and sensible prices. Car is now a lot quieter - even better than when new. Get rid of these horrible voided things that will cause you to fail an MOT!
abdnmoh
Bronze Member

Post by abdnmoh »

Is that star performance in Kirkaldy?
Jamo
Bronze Member

Post by Jamo »

I looked into the replacement SEAT bushes then opted for some Poly bushes from VAGparts... also got a replacement ARB to sort the dreaded banging.

Having stripped the whole front suspension set-up - down to the last nut and bolt - I am pleased to say that I have finally found the cause of all my banging complaints... needless to say it is poor albeit very accurate design.

The voided bushes allow just enough movement in the suspension for the front wishbone to collide with the aluminium mounting console. A quick tickle with a file and above new parts and hey presto problem solved!!!

Wouldn't recommend tackling it in a small garage like I have though.
(I'll try and post some photos)

:D
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

abdnmoh wrote:Is that star performance in Kirkaldy?
Yup, that's the place.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Jamo wrote:The voided bushes allow just enough movement in the suspension for the front wishbone to collide with the aluminium mounting console. A quick tickle with a file and above new parts and hey presto problem solved!!!
(I'll try and post some photos):D
I asked Powerflex for extra information like "what form do the replacement bushes take - are they complete replacement parts or are they just (as some people have said) just inserts in fill-in the voids" - answer was "see garage for individual fitting requirements" tried again and got even less imformation, so as there was not even pictures of that specific part available on their site I thought - "sod it" as they might be supplying these parts they clearly did not know their product very well - and went down the Seat Cupra route, and so far with no regrets. I find it strange that there are no other cars in this "group" other than the Seat Cupra being fitted with the solid bushes. My wife's car, as I said has been "mooing" and making other oscillating noises from new - I could not take it to the supplying dealer as he was in Soest Holland and UK dealers get a bit grumpy about VAG UK (owned by VW AG in Germany) needing to spend money on warranty work on personal imports seeing as I saved around 15>20% by using an EEC tax (vat) loophole. That is the same tax (vat) loophole that some of the VW AG directors use when they source VAG cars (Seat) supposedly for sale in one country then transport them for sale into another one - they too "rob" VAG for their personal gain! But hey we are Europeans so can shop wherever we like in Europe.
Tony_
New

Post by Tony_ »

I have those Ibiza Cupra bushes in mine, and I can say the steering wheel is a bit stiffer, the whole steering system is in fact. But it curves quite better ;) I'm also adding the Seat Sport strut brace to complete the upgrade, and that I also recommend, since the OEM suspension of our Polos is a bit squeeky (sp?).

I'll add the back bushes from Powerflex. But the front ones, you gotta have the Cupra's ;)

Cheers.