Steering Wheel Shake/Vibration

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
D-Dub
Bronze Member

Steering Wheel Shake/Vibration

Post by D-Dub »

Ive had this for a while now and the wheels have been re-balanced three times. The weird thing is it does it at different speeds, it is never at the same speed. Sometimes it can do it at 70, other times i can drive at 70mph no problem.

Any ideas what else could casue this? Im out of ideas?!
New B
Bronze Member

Post by New B »

buckled wheel :?: Not sure
dubpilot
Bronze Member

Post by dubpilot »

how bad is the vibration? its quite normal to have slight vibrations being transmitted from the road onto the wheels and obviously onto the steering wheel. normally even more when youve got low profile tyres on because you have to keep the PSi high on these. the wheels being harder makes it a lot easier to transmit the imperfections on the road to the car.

saying that, wont hurt to have the car's tracking ang camber checked. if youve got new rubber on the car, give it a few weeks for them to evenly wear out as new rubber also causes vibrations.

hope that helps.
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

I have the exact same problem. Steering wheel vibrates and if I remove my hands from the steering wheel it tacks slighty left and right. Not always there, also more pronouced than what has been discribed by dubpilot. It is not progressive with speed, so wheel balancing not at fault. Its annoying but All the simple stuff don't seem to be the problem. Sometimes and not always the vibration is amplified when braking hard. :roll:

Need help on this one.
dubbprince
Bronze Member

Post by dubbprince »

i'd have the tracking/camber checked...and could possibly be a warped disc if it isn't the wheel itself.
have the bushes/ball joints checked too. :wink:
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

dubbprince wrote:i'd have the tracking/camber checked...and could possibly be a warped disc if it isn't the wheel itself.
have the bushes/ball joints checked too. :wink:
I think you are on the right track. its seems its got something to do with the steering components.

Discs & Wheels, wouldn't the problem be more consistant if it were these?
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

i had this problem, swapped the front wheels to the back and visa versa and no problems now
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

Bepe wrote:i had this problem, swapped the front wheels to the back and visa versa and no problems now
I have had new tyres on the front, and old put onto the back. Problem still there.
D-Dub
Bronze Member

Post by D-Dub »

It's not a buckeled wheel - they balanced perfect. The tyres are only 2 months old so maybe that could be it?

I was told that it could be cv joints, but was also told there is no way of checking this? Another possibility could be the diff?
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

D-Dub wrote:It's not a buckeled wheel - they balanced perfect. The tyres are only 2 months old so maybe that could be it?

I was told that it could be cv joints, but was also told there is no way of checking this? Another possibility could be the diff?
Diff, don't say that, you get me worried.
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

i got this man, i used injector claner and it goes away for a while. all i can suggest is that you run this with a couple of tanks.

i am right in saying it comes and goes, diffrent speeds, diffrent gears etc, then it mite be a bit of poo in your injecter which blocks every now and then. so that injector wouldn't deliver the same amount of fuel hence the engine not to run fully smooth. then you have that judder
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

dubpolo wrote:i got this man, i used injector claner and it goes away for a while. all i can suggest is that you run this with a couple of tanks.

i am right in saying it comes and goes, diffrent speeds, diffrent gears etc, then it mite be a bit of poo in your injecter which blocks every now and then. so that injector wouldn't deliver the same amount of fuel hence the engine not to run fully smooth. then you have that judder
Na'
, this is diffo steering wheel vibration only, and felt on brake pedal when braking heavily.
Rupy
Bronze Member

Post by Rupy »

this still occurs on the car... :evil:

:lol:
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

im pretty sure i had the same thing...

compleatly random, diffrent speeds gear or road condition....

im pretty sure its the engine causing the shake
NAZPOLOGTI
Bronze Member

Post by NAZPOLOGTI »

Hi...i had the same problem on my old car...i didnt get round to fixing it, but was told i needed a "spacer" for the wheels. I dunno if that'll help :shock: