************** 5 QUICK QUESTION ******************

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Petrol_Head
Silver Member

************** 5 QUICK QUESTION ******************

Post by Petrol_Head »

Please answer these questions, they are dead easy and should be fun to answer (however please take seriously)

The questions are regarding your decision to buy a VW polo.
The answers will be used as research for my 3rd year dissertation. (I study product and furniture design at Ravensbourne)

Please answer with as much detail as possible.. you can send me a pm if you don't want your answers viewed by public however NO PERSONAL INFORMATION about yourself is required.

1st question.
How long did it take you to find your VW Polo?

2nd.
Approximately how many cars would you say you looked at, and were they all polos or were their any other cars?

3rd.
What made you choose the polo?

4th
Did the fact the car was a VW influence your decision and if so why?

5th.
Of the car you choose, i.e. VW polo mk4, if you had the choice over the original VW polo mk4 and a car designed exactly the same with a identical engine but not made by VW, which car would you choose?? (Both cars would be the exact same price and the exact same colour, only thing to distinguish them would be the badge.)

If you answer is VW,
Which is more important to you when buying a car, the design or the brand?

The information is for educational purposes, and hopefully was not asking to much.

Thank you,
Ben Hall
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: ************** 5 QUICK QUESTION ******************

Post by alexperkins »

1. About 3 months maybe less

2. Looked at about 10 cars. Started off with renault, then BMW then peugoet then onto VW. Golfs to start with then decided on a polo

3. Its stunning looks and the colour of it - its a thing of beauty!

4. Yes. I know VW cars are well built and have a good reputation

5. The VW. Design is very important, brand also plays an important part but the design is the most important part of buying a car in my opinion.

Hope this helps my friend!
h4r1s
Platinum Member
Location: Leicester/Sheffield Drives: Polo MKV-6N2 1.4SE 16v 75BHP

Post by h4r1s »

1) about 2months

2) about 10-15 mostly french cars, looked at one mk4 polo and 2 mk5's

3) You could feel the quality straight away when compared to the flimsy french rivals plus my dad was all for getting me a german car, whatever it's age was.

4) Yes the fact it's a VW did influence my decision, since for me VW stands for Quality & Reliability. Although i didn't check forums to find out common problems before i bought my car :?

5) i think it would have to be VW because of the whole brand image thing. But both design and brand are important, like for example not a huge fan of some of the new VW designs.

Haris
Rupy
Bronze Member

Post by Rupy »

1) Wasn't lookin for a polo in particular...a mate decided he wanted it sold so i snapped it up

2) Looked at an Audi A3, BMW E46 coupes and a MK4 golf but that was more window shopping

3) My mates car was nice, its small, nippy, and afordable...and within budget

4) It did a little due to my interest in the VW scene and owning dubs for 5 years now

5) Would stick VW/VAG as i trust their build quality.
Gomez
New

Post by Gomez »

1. About a month i needed a small car to learn to drive in.

2. Probably Browsed at around 40 cars, mostly polo's, But actually went to inspect about 6-7 cars and road tested

3. I saw polo's as a good looking small hatchback which fitted my criteria as i needed a car that was easy to learn to drive in. Its large windows giving great driver perseption making it easy to manoeuvre in the tasks during a driving test also minimalizing blind spots.

4.My family Had recently bought a makr 5 golf and i was impressed with the build quality and attention detail, also been told that VW's are not only reliable but are easy to source parts if needed.

5. Thats hard to say I do love VW's but only really after becoming an owner. Had i of not owned one seeing a car of possible higher market value Ie Audi, BMW etc then i would assume these would hold there value better. But having owned a VW i would say i would stick with the brand as you say there are identical cars. :)
mitty
Getting There!

Post by mitty »

1.couple of weeks from when i started lookin

2.it wos pretty much the first polo i looked at, only looked at mk4 polos

3.i like the look of it alot and in my opinion looks absolutely stunning on a good set of deep dishes...8j 8.5j...nicee

4. errr i guess it did, vw's have a good reputation and parts aint that expensive

5. tough one but id probebly choose veedub...i reli like the euro look, the wider the better haha, the vw goes along with euro looks real well
polo_dude
Gold Member

Post by polo_dude »

1) couple of weeks
2)we didnt really look at any cars but we knew we needed one. the polo just came at a stroke of luck. it was in a accident which when you looked at was incrediable bad however the damges done were all cosmetic which could be replaced so when the car went to the scrappy the lady didtn want to scrap such a good car and within that time we saw it and took it off her and replaced everything and now have a spanking polo :D
3)Colour amazing memory red pearl that the brand was reliable one VW!!
4) yes, that factor of it being a vw influenced was taken in. as we know it's one of those cars that are long lasting.
5)It would have to be VW. Both would be important the brand and design. I woldnt want to buy a car from a brand which wasnt well known and would go curropt over the next fe wyears but design does complie with me if i dont liek it then i wont buy it!!
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

1st

About 4 months

2nd.

All polos...Seriously looked at (inspected and test drove) six different examples.

3rd.

Had an older model and liked the design, reliability and the fact that its well built so doing home servicing is easy(ishy)...Plus there is a percieved image with VW...

4th.
When I was born my parents had a VW camper, and we have had VW since, so I have a loyalty to the brand..so yes..of course!

5th.

I guess thats like asking...would I have a polo Mk4 or a seat alternative..same chassis etc... I would rather pay a little bit more and get the VW badge...they tend to hold their value better than others!

The design is far more important...it just happens that you usualy get a good design from VW...

IMHO...your not going to see much of a varying trend of opinions....this is a VW forum...

Have you considered a generic forum such as locostbuilders.com or pistonheads.com
Last edited by tegwin on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_phat_controlleruk
Silver Member

Post by The_phat_controlleruk »

1st question.
To be honest, I wasn't looking particularly for a polo, my wife wanted something small and economical and the polo hit all the right buttons.

2nd.
I suppose about half a dozen other cars.

3rd.
The colour :-) , quality, price (compared to the others), insurance grouping (wife had only just passed her test.

4th.
Yes, I have owned other VAG cars in the past and have always been impressed with the quality of the cars

5th.
Nope, would have to be VW, some cars currently are direct copies of big name cars (japanese especially) and the quality just is not the same.
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

1st question.
Around 3 months after looking at many cars regarding condition+miliage etc

2nd.
Around 20, ranging from minis, to corsas, yaris ( :oops: ) and a few polos.

3rd.
Looks and quality

4th.
Umm probably it did as parents drive german cars and they are known for reliablity

5th.
Of the car you choose, i.e. VW polo mk4, if you had the choice over the original VW polo mk4 and a car designed exactly the same with a identical engine but not made by VW, which car would you choose?? (Both cars would be the exact same price and the exact same colour, only thing to distinguish them would be the badge.)
Um I would say it would depend on the oter brand. For example if the other car was identical but made by a rival firm who where also known for their good reputation then no I wouldnt automatically choose VW. For example I am looking a changing the car in the not too distant future and Im looking at Skoda, Seat and Audi.
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

1st question.
Just couple of weaks, went round some dealerships I looked up on the internet first, and then made a selection on price and state

2nd.
First looked at about 5 brands, then in volkswagen on 3 models, and looked for about 15 Polo's till i found mine and selected it

3rd.
Mileage in combination with price, and the total maintenance history was done by that perticular VW dealership, which they could show my on the computer, that really gave me a good feeling about the reliability of the car, that's also why they gave me a full year warranty on the car

4th
Yes, VW = quality :roll:

5th.
I wouldn't care, if it's same quality and stuff, since i'll fitt a badgeless grill anyway :lol:
polo 55
New

Post by polo 55 »

Petrol_Head wrote:Please answer these questions, they are dead easy and should be fun to answer (however please take seriously)

The questions are regarding your decision to buy a VW polo.
The answers will be used as research for my 3rd year dissertation. (I study product and furniture design at Ravensbourne)

Please answer with as much detail as possible.. you can send me a pm if you don't want your answers viewed by public however NO PERSONAL INFORMATION about yourself is required.

1st question.

2nd.
Approximately how many cars would you say you looked at, and were they all polos or were their any other cars?

3rd.

4th

5th.

If you answer is VW,

The information is for educational purposes, and hopefully was not asking to much.

Thank you,
Ben Hall

1) one week
2) looked at a couple. A class merc/polo
3) finance deal. and hoping it was reliable.But have had major problems
4) a little, but to be honest, it has not met my expectations. Maybe the fact of the dealers plays a big influence. Alan Day and City Gate, I have lost total faith
5)I would say VW for the Brand, but maybe not now. After care is as important. I would say the mark 4 is a better car than the mark 7!

Regards
Nick
MK2ASH
New

Post by MK2ASH »

1st question.

i wasnt looking to buy a car but i couldnt say no to the polo

2nd.

only looked at a few other polo's no other cars

3rd.
it looks amazing !
low mileage
little rust
and was very cheap !

4th.

yes i only ever wanted a vw from being young becuase you dont see tht many of them (mk2 coupes ) around town unlike chavs in saxo's 106 or corsa's etc etc

5th.

id take the vw

If you answer is VW,

design and brand are important but i just love the whole vw thing !
polobear
New

Post by polobear »

1st question.

About a week

2nd.

Well originally I was looking for a mk3 Golf and saw 2 or 3, then I went to VW and spotted my Mk5 Polo 1.4 16v S and I had to have it...so I did.

3rd.

I was looking for a small hot hatch to rival the amazing handling of the MK1 golf and something that will keep up with modern driving requirements and I found the Mk5 Polo offered me all of those things. Plus I really love the styling.

4th.

I would have to say yes as I have only owned VW's. I suppose it stems from my parents as they have always owned VW's so I have grown up with them. Also I have alot of friends in to the VW scene so its kind of a culture thing for me.

5th.

I think the VW snob in me would take the VW badged one! If you had said It looked the same and had the same price tag but went quicker I would take the non brand.

If you answer is VW,

Bit of both. I mean there is a load of cars out there I would buy just because they look awesome completely forgetting about brand. For instance the other day I was looking at a Pug 206 GTI for a possible track car and in that instance I didn't care about brand it was all about performance. But I always stick with VW because it's a brand I know.
mk5coz
Bronze Member

Post by mk5coz »

1st question.
How long did it take you to find your VW Polo? 4 years

2nd.
Approximately how many cars would you say you looked at, and were they all polos or were their any other cars? 3

3rd.
What made you choose the polo? love polo gti and vw in general

4th.
Did the fact the car was a VW influence your decision and if so why? yes. reliability and build quality.

5th.

If you answer is VW,
Which is more important to you when buying a car, the design or the brand? the brand