ace gearboxes - wash and wipe?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
garnier
Bronze Member

ace gearboxes - wash and wipe?

Post by garnier »

Finally got my 'recon' box fitted last night from Ace Gearboxes.

It came in a blue plastic box and was all painted lovely with silver paint. Superb I thought, wallet £616 pounds lighter.

The mechanic just phoned me saying the box is in, but it's difficult to select 1st gear and there is a howl in every gear, just like my old box. I'm pretty shocked that they've just sent me a painted old gearbox.

I called them up and kicked up a fuss, the guy on the phone said I'd have to strip it to see what was wrong. I was like :shock: then eventually he said he'll send another one.

Anyone else had this happen to them?
Luke'sGti
Silver Member

Post by Luke'sGti »

thankfully not had this happen - they don't sound too "Ace" by your experience - hope you get it sorted soon.
dubbprince
Bronze Member

Post by dubbprince »

i didn't think they were like that, Ace is right down the road from me next to the local GSF. Seems like they've pulled a fast one here. :roll:
1 GTI
Silver Member

Post by 1 GTI »

They sent me the wrong box and I quoted the gearbox code " FFW ". The bloke on the phone was very rude and a tw*t! Finally got my money back and told them to pick it up i don't want it. They are far from ACE!
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

Do you think I should cancel my credit card payment until I get it sorted out?

THe guy I spoke to on the phone was a plonker and 'can assure me I have been sent a refurbished gearbox'.

I said there's a howl in every gear, it's like an old tram. He tried telling me it must be a wheel bearing. Just annoyed all round, shouldn't be getting this kind of crap for £600.
1 GTI
Silver Member

Post by 1 GTI »

I would not be happy mate. They are quite cunning up there. He was argueing with me that it is the right box, the poxy gearbox bell housing didn't match up and it was for a 1.4 polo 6N1. Don't take no sh*t from them, get your cash back mate. Demand it back!! Tell him you'll take it to trading standards, get him scared
JPR_polo_gti
Silver Member

Post by JPR_polo_gti »

under the supply of goods and services act of 1982
all goods must be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

update: Ace gearboxes sent a courier to collect the box they sent me (a week ago). I'm still waiting on another box, the guy claims it's been sent out and is trying to find out what's going on.

He told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with the first box he sent me, even though it whined like an old tram. He's sending me a different box apparently.

Will be interesting to see what this next 'reconditioned' box sounds like. Hopefully it will have had more work done to it than the last one (sprayed with silver hammerite).

:cry: