Mk1 Polo Stuff!!!

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Jabemeister
New

Mk1 Polo Stuff!!!

Post by Jabemeister »

Just got a little 77 Polo L!!! 895cc :D ....(will take pics and upload soon!)
Just wondering..... :wink:
1.)Wot's a good/cheap fixed lowered set up cost? Would like to drop it a little, but not too much.....
2.)Will Mk1 Golf 239mm calipers bolt straight on? if not....wots best upgrade?
3.)Are parts still available from VW/Audi or will G&S and E.C.P supply stuff?
4.)Wot's the best sites to look at for parts/tuning (well...more stylin than tuning!)
5.)Heard a Golf 4+E diesel box can be bolted on, this true???wot effect would it have?
All input valued greatly!!!!
Cheers!
Last edited by Jabemeister on Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu
Getting There!

Post by Stu »

Hiya, not sure about many of your questions but your Polo sounds very cool indeed! 8) Post some pics up!

You can get lots of parts from GSF and Euro, but mainly mechanical ones, trim and body parts are harder to come by. I got a wing mirror for mine from Euro though.

As for the brakes, I heard you can fit Mk1 Golf GTI front brakes (239mm) but not sure of the details. My Polo brakes are pretty shocking, but you get used to them after a while! :shock:
Stu
Getting There!

Post by Stu »

Forgot to say - if you need a Haynes manual, I have a spare for the 76/77 Polo. PM me for details. :D
Jabemeister
New

Post by Jabemeister »

Cheers Stu!
Thanks for the Haynes offer....but got one already off Ebay!
You could sell yours on it....
Your's looks pretty mint from the pic!...mine needs a bit of work, but still not too bad for a 77!...Came with original handbook!, so if you havent got one I could scan it for you!
Who you insured with?....cause I got an 89 Valver too that i'm doin up(insured with Herts) and need to know 4 a cheap quote.
:wink:
Stu
Getting There!

Post by Stu »

My GTI is insured with Brentacre on a modified policy (even though it's not modified much really) and my Polo's on a classic/limited mileage policy with HIC. :D
Stu
Getting There!

Post by Stu »

Here's a couple of other pics...

8) :D
Jabemeister
New

Post by Jabemeister »

Stu! You got a real minter there m8!....
thanx for info!....
Stu
Getting There!

Post by Stu »

Jabemeister wrote:Stu! You got a real minter there m8!....
thanx for info!....
8) Cheers!
Jabemeister
New

Post by Jabemeister »

Hi Stu!.....Just got a couple of pics taken of polo, :D :D
at night i'm afraid....but will take some better ones soon!!!! 8)
First registered 01/05/1977!!!
Needs a new rear bumper though!!! are they xpensive?
Soon have some alloys on her and some body repairs!! :wink:
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

Hehehe, I'd better join in...

Stu
Getting There!

Post by Stu »

Nice pics! Your R-reg's make my Polo look positively modern! Heh heh! :lol:

Jabemeister: Not sure where you'd get a bumper these days, sorry. Maybe German ebay? What sort of alloys are you thinking of? I was gonna put some on mine but I've got used to the standard wheels now and I have new hubcaps on there so it looks good. 8)
Jabemeister
New

Post by Jabemeister »

Sweet pics Nuttinnew!...had her long? :D ...As you can see from my pics im missin a few bits of chrome trim off wings and tailgate :cry: , where's the best source? Your's a 895cc? or have you dropped someat else in? :wink: ....
Stu yours is still oldschool m8!!! well tidy! 8) My dash has a round instrument pod, while yours is square...all seems the same otherwise!!!
Got me eye on some 13" Oz BBs alikes....goin cheep of a m8, try an polish em up if poss!! :)
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

I've had mine a little while but had a few probs so it's been somewhat neglected :cry:
The plan was to use a GT engine I have sitting in bits, the bottom end's been lightened and balanced plus I have a flowed head and cam for it too (there on the GT now but that's another story...). So, it still the 895 in it 8)

Nothing is going to happen to it in the near future as I've lost a lot of money through illness over the past couple of years, so unless I can sell summat quick it's going to have to stay as it is :cry:

When it was on the road it was my daily driver and carried me around the country. Twas much fun but tbh underpowered, it needed to be worked hard just to stay with the flow of traffic so if/when it re-emerges it'll have to have something else under the bonnet (who said 1.6 8v with GT injection?).

Stu, steels and hubcaps 8) :P
Stu
Getting There!

Post by Stu »

nuttinnew wrote: Stu, steels and hubcaps 8) :P
Old Skool I know! Just looks a bit high, but it's such a comfy ride compared to my GTI that I'd going to keep it that way! Lowered suspension = back pain!

My dash is the later type square pod one, the early cars have the round one. I have a brochure at home with all the options, will scan & post it up - some good info in there.

As for engine swaps, I was talking to a guy at VW Action who has a Mk1 and had bought a crashed german Polo G40 ready for transplant! Er... bit too much for non-servo'd brakes I think! :shock: :lol:
pettsy

Post by pettsy »

you could try www.perfectpanels.co.uk

not sure if they do mk1 polo bits tho :?