Power loss at about 70mph

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
jamesc
New

Power loss at about 70mph

Post by jamesc »

Hi,

This is a 55bhp 2002 polo 1.2 (the 3 cylinder one)

My polo loses power when it's been at 70ish for more than a couple of minutes, often dropping it to 4th or 3rd then back up returns the power but not always.

Here's what I've tried so far:

fuel filter, spark plugs (ones I removed were black/carbonny), air filter

I'm not really sure what it could be. I was told when I bought the car that it had just been serviced (well, I negotiated it in to the price) which states my oil/oil filter were changed but about 3k miles later, my oil is black compared to the colour in my mums car which had its oil change at a similar time.

Any idea what it could be? as the car is unusable at the moment for anything but city driving (and where's the fun in that :lol: )

Thanks
bramley
Bronze Member

Post by bramley »

with that engine ure car prob max's out at 70mph :)
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

worth checking something's not blocking the air flow, but sounds like a nasty intermittent fault :(

fuel pump could do with being replaced.

don't worry about the oil colour.
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

Its probably worth checking with VW if there are any ECU updates for your particular engine.

Also giving the throttle body a good clean may help!
jamesc
New

Post by jamesc »

Hi,

I'll try the throttle body - with the ECU is it best to just phone the local dealership and ask?

Thanks
panda
Silver Member

Post by panda »

Try the coil packs, common fault with the 1.2 iirc.
jamesc
New

Post by jamesc »

Hi,

Looking at the throttle body there's not much to clean but under the flap thing which the air filter clicks on to the edge of, the pipe was oily around the edge, is that correct?

Vag-com doesn't report the coils, however could it still be the coils and if it's a common fault do VW have any recall on them on out of warranty cars or would I have to fork out the £100 or whatever for 3 new coils?

Thanks
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

Yep, if you get someone to press the accelerator on your car you can get that flap to open. Then spray some carb cleaner down there until its visibly shiny silver inside. Probs best you do this while the cars running otherwise it won't start for a little while.
LowPoloCo.
Silver Member

Post by LowPoloCo. »

mate, id try the coil packs with VW

i had the same problem about loss of power, but at 40mph :cry:

go in and ask.

Ell
jamesc
New

Post by jamesc »

I phoned VW and they're gonna get back to me, which probably means they won't.

Anyhow, this happened again last night and the check engine light came on while I lost power but once it recovered it went off again (the light).
Jamo
Bronze Member

Post by Jamo »

We had the same issue with the wifes 1.4 ibiza - was the coil packs - the fault showed as a distinct lack of power at high speed, gradually getting worse until we had a misfire at tickover, needless to say the engine check light came on too!
I don't think VW actually did a recall because it affects most of the VW petrol range and they would be inundated with cars - they do replace them without fuss though, as do SEAT and SKODA - you shouldn't have to pay to have it done.

Good luck :wink:
jamesc
New

Post by jamesc »

Just got the coil packs changed - to no avail (before I changed the coil packs I had intermittent misfires in cylinders 1 and 3 according to vagcom). Any idea what it could be? I can clear the fault registers then try again.

Would it be likely that it'd take the ECU over 5 miles to fix itself? oddly it was fine for the first 3-4 miles but when I opened it up more (to see if it was still okay with the engine under more strain) it started losing power.
jamesc
New

Post by jamesc »

got told today this could be the "timing chains slipping out of time and stretching" is this likely?