Raising my car (no I'm not going crazy!!)

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Bryony84
Sponsor

Raising my car (no I'm not going crazy!!)

Post by Bryony84 »

I need to raise my car by 10-15 mm (its down 60 at the moment and looks pretty low). I love the way it looks but its not as fun to drive as it used to be as theres a fair bit of scrubbing on corners. I'm not so fussed about bashing the splitter on things, but I keep catching various bits of the underside on the road (just normal driving on an uneven road) and I went over one of those nasty metal ramp things in a car park last week and that made some horrible nosies. Bottom line is, in the winter, being that low isn't really practical and the car is my daily driver.

Does anyone have any spring/damper combinations that are good? I've got unbranded FK's from Germany on at the moment which will be up for sale when they are off. Before anyone says 'coilovers', I've thought about them, but I can't really afford the extra money and I probably wouldn't get round to adjusting them much!
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Post by Ollie_R »

Eibach Sportline Springs and Bilstein shocks are an excellent combination and H&R Cupkit shocks and springs are rated as well.

Don't feel bad about raising your car. I'm currently in the process of doing mine :|
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

I fitted my FK Konigsports in December last year. Running them through the winter is no trouble IMO. Mine is my daily driver also, and is low as I can take it for this reason. Even though its only 50-55mm down it still makes driving some of Shropshire's country B-roads a bit of a brown-pants experience - I went through a ford today after the sat nav decided the road the ford was on was a quicker route than the nearby A-road :lol: suffice to say I had no idea there was a ford and just sort of happened upon it as I came round a corner!

Thats by the by. Both the kits Ollie mentions will do the job!
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

It deffo isn't practical Bryony, it's cost me a bit in repair bills (thanks to having the splitter smoothed onto the bumper)

I pulled into a road fine a few weeks ago (was a slight incline to the road I pulled in from) but then couldn't get out, I had to 3 point turn and reverse back out :lol:

Should still look good down at 50mm though 8)
Rupy
Bronze Member

Post by Rupy »

I really need to raise mine...but kinda dont wana
Bryony84
Sponsor

Post by Bryony84 »

Thanks everyone, will have a look into the kits that Ollie mentioned!

Should still look good at -50 and handle well, which to me is just as important, the car is no fun at the moment as I have to be so careful with it!
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

If you are happy with the damping you don't have to change both springs and shocks. Just replace the FK springs with a set of Eibach Sportlines (-45/50 front, -30/35 rear).

I am totally uncool being at -30, but I have very good handling and have no issues with parking against kerbs or speed bumps.