Can anyone reccomend an insurance company>?

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
JoeG07
Gold Member

Can anyone reccomend an insurance company>?

Post by JoeG07 »

I'm 18 and my cars a 1.6 and has been lowered 60mm, with other cosmetic mods like lights, 16v bumper, alloys etc. I was insured with Barclays but then my t*t face dad cancelled the policy for me when i went to uni, 1 month off getting a years no claims. Fuming, i got straight on the phone to Barclays and asked to reinsure it, and they refused on the basis that its been "heavily modifed." Interfearing prick. Can any1 reccomend a company that will insure this and won't break the bank? I'm a student!

thanks
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

sounds harsh mate! feel for ya!

try liverpool victoria, tesco, bell, admiral, and when your 19 try Brentacre, they are tops!
CraigMK4
Silver Member

Post by CraigMK4 »

Well i'm 19, and i'm with HIC, get a quote... you'll see what i mean :wink: thats with mods declared, £900. but with 1 years NCB and 1 TSO.
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

oh yeah i forgot about HIC, they are good too!
iggy350
Silver Member

Post by iggy350 »

Pru
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

I find just searching www.moneysupermarket.co.uk turns up some good prices.
1der
Gold Member

Post by 1der »

im with tesco.theyve been the cheapest so fa for me when it came to renewal
twistedl
Getting There!

Post by twistedl »

QUIN all the way I am with them and they dont care about mods and are v cheap (unless they increase your power)
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

Would the guys who have declared mods know if the insurer would payout more if something was to happen for the mods or not? Some such as Bell and Elephant will charge more cos'v the risk but won't payout more then the standard car amount. Therefore you don't really get anything back for modifications, just pay them more for the extra risk.

Very few would pay extra even though it may be very little. For example you may have lights worth £100 but they were to break in an accident they'l value your car an extra £10 for the lights! Littles better than nothing I guess.
dragon_green
Gold Member

Post by dragon_green »

NOZ wrote:Littles better than nothing I guess.
And a whole lot better than your policy being declared void because you didn't tell them about mods to the car.

8)
rustmobile
New

Post by rustmobile »

I'm 17, passed my test 3 months ago, i'm with endsleigh as a named driver on my mums policy, fully comp, £320 a year. i do live in the arse end of nowhere so it might be a postcode thing, and my mum has a good few years no claims, but i'd have a look and see how much they quote you!
HYDRO
New

Post by HYDRO »

im with morethan, i have a polo 1.4cl and i pay around £800 a year and im policy holder.
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

dragon_green wrote:
NOZ wrote:Littles better than nothing I guess.
And a whole lot better than your policy being declared void because you didn't tell them about mods to the car.

8)
I know that. I would'v but when I got the car I was in a messed up situation. Crashed old 8v, bought this thinking i'll pay a premium and then they said they wouldn't. Ended up having 2 policies cos I could'n even cancel old one because of the accident claim. Financialy f*kd, therefore ended up paying £1600 on TPFT; knowone'l even touch me with an air freshner let alone start declaring mods!!!

Thats why I wanted to know who's got a policy with mods that'l increase the cars value even if it may be a bit. Asking as most insurers won't increase the value of your car with mods but you'll need you to declare cos'v extra risk. Its best to get a policy with one who does or you'l get really stuffed when the insurance won't payout what your car is actually worth. They payout at what your vehicle was at 'standard specification'.

Mines due in a few months, hopfully should be around £1200. I'll be 25 but I live in an area thats listed 'refer' on the 'area risk list'. Can't get any worse then that!
mysteryboy
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by mysteryboy »

try the co I work for... and before you ask no I cant get discount

http://www.taagl.co.uk/
Petrol_Head
Silver Member

Post by Petrol_Head »

What i would recomend doing is calling GSI Insurance close to the end of the month and between 5 and 6 in the afternoon.

Call them up and be VERY friendly, say you want car insurance for the polo, and say you have had a quote of x amount but u need it at y amount. Say if they CAN get it for you for y amount then your take them up on offer with no questions asked. say your serious and get freindly with who ever your talking to.

they should surprise you, they surprised me.