lowering 40mm

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Kelk11
Bronze Member

lowering 40mm

Post by Kelk11 »

ive been looking to lower my car 40/40 been looking at the cheap and cheerful jackson tuning kits. ive been looking at the 60/40-60 but i cant be bothered with the hassle of scraping etc on speed bumps and the likes of. has any1 else got any pics of theirs at 40mm? is there anything else i need to change at the same time. like bushes etc?
thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Mines at about 40mm heres a pic:

and thats a really old pic of my car!! lol
Kelk11
Bronze Member

Post by Kelk11 »

thanks that looks cool, i'm not gunna bother with coilovers as im never gunna change them and dont want to go too low. so my 2 options are the cheap jackson tuning springs and shocks, or because im only going 40mm would i be better keeping the original shocks and buyin some decent springs for the same price?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Ive just got some H+R Springs on the original shocks and they work fine with no problems whatsoever. Id just change the springs - cheaper and as effective :)
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Mine in my sig is 60mm all round (although I suspect it is higher on one side :roll: ) though that is coilovers
Kelk11
Bronze Member

Post by Kelk11 »

well i was thinking that the orig gti shocks are going to be better than those cheap sets. so it makes sense just to get the decent springs.
u got any links on where to get them?
also to fit them what is envolved? im a total novice btw lol
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

http://www.edworthys.co.uk/manufacturer ... =Max+Price

Its the 35mm front and back ones youll be wanting - the drop is more than that though for some reason!!

I got a garage to do it for me as I didnt want the hassle of doing it myself. Cost £60 to have fitted, so i was happy with that.
MaxZ
Platinum Member

Post by MaxZ »

I never realised yours was lowered Alex!
Kelk11
Bronze Member

Post by Kelk11 »

with the gti been 10mm lower already does it mean it will be 40 mm from that or actually be only 30mm? if u get me. does tracking and camber need to be adjusted when u just change the springs?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

MaxZ wrote:I never realised yours was lowered Alex!
lol it was like a 4x4 prior!!

Im getting coilies this year, so its gonna go down 60mm :)

Although, I may just do it on springs and shocks - the only issue is id like to be able to change it.

Camber may need to be done, but it depends on the skill of the mechanic
CymruPolo
Not so new

Post by CymruPolo »

alexperkins wrote:http://www.edworthys.co.uk/manufacturer ... =Max+Price

Its the 35mm front and back ones youll be wanting - the drop is more than that though for some reason!!

I got a garage to do it for me as I didnt want the hassle of doing it myself. Cost £60 to have fitted, so i was happy with that.
DO NOT buy from Edworthys! I had so much hassle with them, and I'm not the only one.

Long story short, tried buying a single BBS RX wheel which was "on order" from their supplier. 2 weeks past still not in stock, asked them to cancel the order and refund me, didn't happen. I was on the phone almost every other day for a month trying to get my money back it was only after saying I will get trading standards involved and take them to small claims court they sent me a cheque.
Kelk11
Bronze Member

Post by Kelk11 »

okay, any reliable sites u recommend that sell the h&r springs ? i dont want no hassle having to deal with turd companies.
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

I think I'm down somewhere around the 70mm mark but not overly sure to be honest (pic in my sig)

Wouldn't want to go any lower, infact if I did I wouldn't be able to get into work, the splitter catches the ramp as it is :lol:
CymruPolo
Not so new

Post by CymruPolo »

Kelk11 wrote:okay, any reliable sites u recommend that sell the h&r springs ? i dont want no hassle having to deal with turd companies.
Not sure, just avoid Edworthys. Google them :) (unless anyone can suggest anywhere else!)
Kelk11
Bronze Member

Post by Kelk11 »

one more thing, with the gti having oe sports suspension isnt it already lowered 10mm? so if i get 40mm springs will it only actually lower 30mm?