greasing coilovers

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
adam_0612
Gold Member

greasing coilovers

Post by adam_0612 »

i have asked questions previously but just had a thought in my head, would spraying the coilovers with WD-40 be just as good???
Kelk11
Bronze Member

Post by Kelk11 »

i wouldn't go near wd40 although its a lubricant it tends to degrease aswell. its good for loosening a rusty bolt etc but thats about it. gt85 is a much better! still dont know how good it is on collies though.
twistedl
Getting There!

Post by twistedl »

apprently copper grease is what you want but all the s**t will stick to it
adam_0612
Gold Member

Post by adam_0612 »

good point, wont just loads of dirt and stuff from the road just stick to the copper grease???
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

adam_0612 wrote:good point, wont just loads of dirt and stuff from the road just stick to the copper grease???
i imagine so, but i would've thought it would be better than rust!
sorted
Gold Member

Post by sorted »

Evey time i have a wheel off my car - i turn the coilovers a few up then bring them back down - this is like a half turn - just to keep them free then use copper grease. I havent done it for about 4 months though - so i guess they will be ceased - but not fussed as ill always have 15s and i like the ride height as it is !
adam_0612
Gold Member

Post by adam_0612 »

im suprised that they seize so easily after when you pay alot of money for them in the first place
its really annoying
polopaul
Bronze Member

Post by polopaul »

it depends how you look at 'a lot of money'. in coilover terms, anything below 500 for all round height adjustable is cheap, but you compare that to the price of a set of lowering springs then obviously it sounds expensive. everage price is a bout 600 for a decent set of branded ones.

and yes, copper grease is the best thing to use, i took the springs off and painted it on with a brush.yeh the road crap sticks to it, but id rather it was sticking to that than the actual suspension.
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

Copper grease! did it a couple of months ago. apply the grease into the threads. then turn the nuts threw bottom to top. I then sprayed it with waxol.
Arnoldo
Gold Member

Post by Arnoldo »

Waxol do I gd job?