New

Best Brake Setup?

Post by JellyB »

Still looking for a better brake setup for my car I have tried the following

Std discs and pads
New calipers and 20mm master cylinder
TSR 280mm disc conversion
Std sized tarox G44 discs and pagid pads

But I am still not satisfied with the setup, my car is standard enginewise and so you can understand why I wont chip n pulley it until my brakes are sorted out! The TSR setup was the closest to being great but the discs started to crack after 6 weeks of use.

I have been searching around and there is a 295mm kit for the Mk1 Golf made by Bremsport that should fit (the TSR kit was for a Mk1 Golf). Its pricey at £600 but thats about what I have spent on the rest of the stuff anyway.

Any comments?
LiamG40
New

Post by LiamG40 »

If your disks were cross drilled I'm not surprised they cracked. I reckon the best disks to go for are plain ones more surface area most of the stuff that comes on brake disks are for the eye only. if you do want some sort of ventilation just go for maybe 4 groved ones. But if you can hang on a while we are currently developing a four pot caliper set up to go under 14" rims. hopfully using a large sized disk.
JellyB
New

Post by JellyB »

I have had drilled discs before and yes they cracked around the holes eventually, but these ones (from TSR) cracked on the edges!! This is probably due to me running 15" wheels with 195/45/15 Goodyear tyres and being able to apply loads of pressure before the wheels lock up. But still, I would expect the tyres to be the weak link in the system. Anyway, wasnt impressed by that and I wasnt going to pay out £180 for a set of plain discs (which is what I wanted from TSR in the first place). So they got me a set of Tarox discs and refunded the difference.

I will see how the 256mm audi setup works, but I would be keen to see this 4 pot kit of yours as I am really thinking about the Bremsport kit as I am affraid to get more power out the car as it is! I am getting a charger rebuild in the new year and would love to have the brakes to deal with it. :wink:

Let us all know how it goes with the kit, I may want to pre-order one :D
fil_rite13
New

Post by fil_rite13 »

This 4 pot kit sounds the biz Liam, i also would be interested in sumthing like this from my G which should be running 15's sumtime in the future.
JellyB
New

Post by JellyB »

Still no joy in locating audi brakes that I can fit, but thought I would say that apparently willwood do a kit (actually about 3 kits depending on wheel size) that are for a Mk1 Golf, but will fit a G40 as its the same setup.

From 247-280mm, with 4 pot calipers. Around £500 inc vat. Got the info from www.raldes.co.uk under the willwood section (not a very goodwebsite actually but the info is worth it!)

Any news on the 4pot kit liam?
projecteuro
New

Post by projecteuro »

i recon go for the 4pots and 280mm disk conversion as thats what i want too.
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Getting the Lucas/Girling Audi 256mm brake callipers isn't too hard, its finding the carriers with the correct bolt mounting distance for the hub which is difficult.
I contacted a parts company about the carriers and they said they could get them for about £75 each.

If you are having problems with your brakes, check the condition of the back ones. Fitting new shoes and drums on the back with the handbrake cable adjusted up makes a good improvement

HTH
JellyB
New

Post by JellyB »

Well I have a new brake servo to fit then its going to go to braided hoses before I can have a go at the audi calipers, though the way things are I think this is more likely than not.

Do you have them fitted to your car? Any good?
ereeiz
Bronze Member

Post by ereeiz »

I don't like the brakes on mine either. Its all std at the moment, but coming from an 8v mk2 Golf, I find the brakes shocking tbh on such a quick little car!
It has grooved disks and a backbox, but that's it. I'd heard you could fit mk2 brakes to Polos. Is this true? It would also be worth uprating the master cylinder, etc too imo. Perhaps a mk2 golf 16v one? (thats a popular upgrade for 8v golfs and mk1's I hear). :?: