Got the openair. Throttle body knackered?

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
dn852k4
New

Got the openair. Throttle body knackered?

Post by dn852k4 »

I've drove round in it for about 10 miles, everything ok apart from the high idling, until I was parking it on the drive then the engine cut out. Now it won't start unless I press the accelerator. :shock: If I let off the accelerator the engine dies again. Has anyone experianced similar?
wadders
Getting There!

Post by wadders »

If you remove the air filter box, you can see into the TB. If there's enough carbon deposits it effects how the butterfly closes and causes eratic idling and stalling.

Buy some carb cleaner (it's in a aerosol can) and when you've go the air box off give the tb a good clean inside. Don't spray loads of the cleaner into the tb, spray it on to a rag, hold the butterfly open and wipe around the inside. If it's really gunged, use a toothbrush to loosen it and then wipe off with a rag.

The car might then idle around 2000rpm and you'll need to reset the ECU. You can sometimes do this by disconnecting the battery overnight. If that doesn't work then phone a local auto electrician and ask if they can reset the ECU.

If cleaning the tb doesn't do the trick it's time to start looking at the temp sensor etc.
dn852k4
New

Post by dn852k4 »

wadders wrote:If you remove the air filter box, you can see into the TB. If there's enough carbon deposits it effects how the butterfly closes and causes eratic idling and stalling.

Buy some carb cleaner (it's in a aerosol can) and when you've go the air box off give the tb a good clean inside. Don't spray loads of the cleaner into the tb, spray it on to a rag, hold the butterfly open and wipe around the inside. If it's really gunged, use a toothbrush to loosen it and then wipe off with a rag.

The car might then idle around 2000rpm and you'll need to reset the ECU. You can sometimes do this by disconnecting the battery overnight. If that doesn't work then phone a local auto electrician and ask if they can reset the ECU.

If cleaning the tb doesn't do the trick it's time to start looking at the temp sensor etc.
should the tb be removed from the engine before cleaning?
wadders
Getting There!

Post by wadders »

Not necessarily, though that would mean you could clean it better. The main thing is not to spray loads of cleaner directly into the tb.
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

thats about normal on both mine and my mums polo i have to press the accelerater when i start it, do that and it starts no probs and run fine. sounds terrible if you try to start without pressing it in lol.
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

Having the same problem with my polo. Idle speed picked up mega buy its still idleing up and down alot. its was between 1500 and 2500 yesterday, that was after i cleaned the TB out. before i did that it would idle very low and cut out. If i leave my battery off at work while at work, this problem may clear? If now how do i go about having my ECU reset?
Many thanks.
wadders
Getting There!

Post by wadders »

Sometimes you can leave the battery disconnected overnight and that will reset the ECU. That never works with mine, so I use one of those mobile auto electric guys, who have a VAG COM or something similar. It's good because they check the fault codes and put the ECU back into 'learn' mode. Then all you need to do is drive around for 30 minutes, while the ECU reads all the sensor information again.
dn852k4
New

Post by dn852k4 »

An update on the openair.

I've had the TB off, gave it a good cleaning. After cleaning it, it started first time and idled just below 1k rpm until I pressed the acclerator it then shot up to 2k rpm. :evil: If I let the engine tick over for a minut on its own, then *very* gently press the acclerator, get the revs up to 2k then back down again, this method stop the buttefly 'sticking'.

If the butterfly is 'sticking' after cleaning the TB, does this mean I need a new TB?
I've also fitted a new temperature sensor and changed the coolant, but this hasn't really helped.

Here's a pic of the car.

The_phat_controlleruk
Silver Member

Post by The_phat_controlleruk »

No, it's not sticking, from past experience that is normal behaviour after having it cleaned. I clean mine regularly and it always does this, press the accelerator and she shoots up to 2500 rpm, leave her alone and she will EVENTUALLY go back to 1100 rpm (although that is still high). What you need is someone with VAG-COM to re-align the TB, you can try the old battery method but not sure that will work as your TB is out, this is where VAG-COM will sort it out. Shouldn't be charged more than £20-£25 to get it sorted, unless you now someone with it. Shame you don't live near Essex as I have it on my laptop, only takes a couple of minutes.
LeMeph
Platinum Member

Post by LeMeph »

Nice car though btw. Looks in better nick then my open air.

yeh phatcontroller's right. Try to reset the ecu via battery if not get a call out.

Or just leave it for a while and see what happens!
dn852k4
New

Post by dn852k4 »

The_phat_controlleruk wrote:No, it's not sticking, from past experience that is normal behaviour after having it cleaned. I clean mine regularly and it always does this, press the accelerator and she shoots up to 2500 rpm, leave her alone and she will EVENTUALLY go back to 1100 rpm (although that is still high). What you need is someone with VAG-COM to re-align the TB, you can try the old battery method but not sure that will work as your TB is out, this is where VAG-COM will sort it out. Shouldn't be charged more than £20-£25 to get it sorted, unless you now someone with it. Shame you don't live near Essex as I have it on my laptop, only takes a couple of minutes.
What time scale are we talking, minutes, days, weeks?
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Laptop reset with VAG COM would be best solution and be instant reset, whilst the battery method recommended, is to leave the battery disconnected over night or a few hours... But the battery method is not alway guaranteed (it never worked for me once).

So go with the VAG COM method best.