debadging illegal?

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Glover12
Getting There!

debadging illegal?

Post by Glover12 »

i know this is a really dum question,he might just be winding me up but one of my mates today told me that its illegal to take the polo badge off on my car.before telling him to shut up i actually went braindead and thought that maybe he is correct but had a strong feeling he wasnt!
can someone just varify that it is not illegal for me please?
cheers
Shmosh
Bronze Member

Post by Shmosh »

no its not illegal! it's an optional extra at the garage to have it on or off!
Dan 6N
Silver Member

Post by Dan 6N »

Nah, its not illegal..
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

either hes having u on or hes not all that bright himself. def not illegal. i dont have n e badges or names on my car to say its a polo or even a vw and i never been pulled. wont fail an mot either. nowa days some cars dont have them on when they leave the factory.
Glover12
Getting There!

Post by Glover12 »

good good he said something about the police not be able to identify the make and model when there running checks on you.i said surely theyd just use the registration if they didnt know what model it is
cheers
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

i think hes a bit confused :?
the police will check the vehicle details through the reg number and the vin! i have no badges on mine and it definately hasn't failed its MOT because of this fact :lol:
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

I wouldn't go to your mate for any future car related advice if I was you mate :wink: As said before, some cars don't even have the badge so your mate should've thought about that before making a un-educated remark! funny tho :lol:
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

Haha, some people...honestly! :roll:
Smidley
Getting There!

Post by Smidley »

OMG! Tell him to go and open the door, insert his head in between the frame and door, and slam the door repeatedly until he knocks some sense in.

Shame on you for considering... :(
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

Smidley wrote:OMG! Tell him to go and open the door, insert his head in between the frame and door, and slam the door repeatedly until he knocks some sense in.

Shame on you for considering... :(
ahhh that was quite funny....... made me laugh.

police wont be bothered about debadging. there are about 4 or 5 main things they will care about tho but debadging aint one of them.

the things they will care about tho is:
sound system: weather u have it to loud or not in a built up area.
rear light tinting: legal as long as its not like colour coded to the car so u can barely see the lights through it.
exhaust: cant be to loud.
number plates: if they have ghost writing in the background or if the lettering isnt a certain size and the spacing.

i think theyre worst one tho is window tinting: they will screw u left right and centre if either the front passenger and driver side windows are to dark to let the certain amount of light through.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

kipper wrote:
i think theyre worst one tho is window tinting: they will screw u left right and centre if either the front passenger and driver side windows are to dark to let the certain amount of light through.
VW windows come factory tinted, so any film on the front two makes them illegal
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

Any idea what percentage the factory tints are? Remember it needs to pass 7 or 80% light through.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I can't remember now. When I got mine done though, the guy that did them said there wasn't a film on the market that he knows of that won't tip them over the legal limit.

There may be some though?
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

^^ Really; factory tints ain't that much and i'd think 15% tints would be ok. Anyway, i'll come to the problem if ever plan to get tints.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Well I'd imagine factorys would be something in the region of 10% tinted, so 15% on top of that maybe too much?

It's hard to say though, would be good if an exact figure could be obtained for factory tints