Considering Purchase of Mk5 1.4 TDi

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
VWSport
New

Considering Purchase of Mk5 1.4 TDi

Post by VWSport »

I'm considering selling my Corrado and getting a Mk5 1.4 Tdi as want something newer/more reliable/more economical/more environmentally friendly/cheaper road tax!

What sort of price should I expect to pay for a good example 1.4 SE TDi - 'Y' reg onwards?
Will I fit comfortably to drive a Mk5 considering I'm 6' 4"? Any other tall drivers out there?
avfcnutter
Bronze Member

Post by avfcnutter »

I'm 6 fot and to be honest feel quite big in my mk 5, doesnt have height adjustment on the seat, maybe an SE does?
vw55raz
Gold Member

Post by vw55raz »

im 5 foot 10 and i ave to put my seat quite back. if i dont then my knees will hit the steering, and my steering is at the top. also my feet hit the top part of the pedals where the plastic covers some wiring..
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

GTi seats are height adjustable.

I'd look to pay around £2000 for a really good one
VWSport
New

Post by VWSport »

I think the SE is supposed to have high adjustable seats - but that's something I would definately have to check - as sounds like my height could be an issue. Think I should try and find one that I can have a sit in.

£2k sounds rather cheap for a good example...looking on AutoTrader I though I'd be looking around the £4k mark for a 2001 TDi?
vw55raz
Gold Member

Post by vw55raz »

definitley. 2k is too cheap unless u want one with over 120k on it. i just bought my SE 1.4tdi last week and i just saw now it does have adjustable seats. up down, back and forth. i can now relax in my one :P
VWSport
New

Post by VWSport »

vw55raz wrote:definitley. 2k is too cheap unless u want one with over 120k on it. i just bought my SE 1.4tdi last week and i just saw now it does have adjustable seats. up down, back and forth. i can now relax in my one :P
I definately wouldn't want one with that sort of mileage, my Corrado only has 115k on the clock and it's 16 years old!

Do you mind me asking what sort of price you just paid? And what sort of mileage? What did you drive before (something more or less powerful)? Would be interested to know how you get on with your tdi considering it's the same model that I'd be interested in.
vw55raz
Gold Member

Post by vw55raz »

i paid 2800 for mine. has 63 on the clock.. i had a smart car before, but i didnt realise that the 1.4tdi is even better on fuel and is a 4door. yeh but the tdi is nice man, its got a good pickup speed . definitley consider it if you are travelling a long distance everyday as it is VERY economical.
VWSport
New

Post by VWSport »

vw55raz wrote:i paid 2800 for mine. has 63 on the clock.. i had a smart car before, but i didnt realise that the 1.4tdi is even better on fuel and is a 4door. yeh but the tdi is nice man, its got a good pickup speed . definitley consider it if you are travelling a long distance everyday as it is VERY economical.
Sounds like a good price. I noticed that there aren't all that many around though - guess it doesn't help that they were only manufactured for a couple of years.

Does yours come into the £35 a year Road Tax category - or is it prior to 2001?
vw55raz
Gold Member

Post by vw55raz »

nah its a 2000 plate so i have to pay 63 for 6 months. but i dont really mind. i needed one with a good engine so i werent really bothered about the roasd tax cost. Finding one on a 2001 with low miles will cost over 3.5k
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

wow the TDis really hold value then! I was judging price by comparing it to a GTI, which all seem to be going for pennies recently :?
big_k
Getting There!

Post by big_k »

Yup, Tdi's hold their value really well... a good one can fetch between 3.5-4k....

VWsport: If u want height adjustable seats you'll have to put in gti seats at a later or point or find a colour concept... good luck with the colour concept tdi though, took me foooooooooooooookin ages to find mine 8) :D
samil87
Silver Member

Post by samil87 »

iam trying to find a TDi colour concept but they seem to be rarer than anything else...been seeing 1 outside my halls lately and love it
big_k
Getting There!

Post by big_k »

Samil: What colour is it? Is it a petrol or tdi? Any mods? :D
samil87
Silver Member

Post by samil87 »

its the surf blue colour...same colour as mine in my signature picture

its a completely standard TDi....also found a yellow 1 on auto trader the other day

wish i could get one!!!