cruise control

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
poloecosse
Bronze Member

cruise control

Post by poloecosse »

do vw do a kit for all the models of the 9n or is it just the bigger engined ones it works in
mikehowett
Bronze Member

Post by mikehowett »

This is the kit you want mate:

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info ... splay.html

That site says that it is not suitable for the 44kW/60BHP engine :)
pip_polo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by pip_polo »

are they actually hard to fit?
mikehowett
Bronze Member

Post by mikehowett »

pip_polo wrote:are they actually hard to fit?
It's not technically hard, but it's hard work having to remove the dash panel :( but it's deffo worth it :D
daa709
Silver Member

Post by daa709 »

Would do it, but you need vagcom. And finding that is a pain..
mikehowett
Bronze Member

Post by mikehowett »

daa709 wrote:Would do it, but you need vagcom. And finding that is a pain..
It's not that hard :wink: I asked on here and within a week someone offered to do it for me :D And as you're in Surrey too, I'm sure they'd do the same for you too.
daa709
Silver Member

Post by daa709 »

How did you wire it in?
€88 not bad you know..
mikehowett
Bronze Member

Post by mikehowett »

daa709 wrote:How did you wire it in?
€88 not bad you know..
I had a few guides to follow, plus I also have Elsawin so that helped too. :)
VdoubleU
New

Advice required

Post by VdoubleU »

Hiya guys. I've just purchased my cruise from Kufatec but the loom has 8 grey wires, all numbered.
2 of those wires are longer than the other 6 of the same length, would anyone be able to advise me on how i fit this loom.
Do the two long wires go to the brake and clutch? If so how?
And where does the brown plug at the end go?

I own a Polo GTI 08 model.

Cheers.

Taz
mikehowett
Bronze Member

Re: Advice required

Post by mikehowett »

VdoubleU wrote:Hiya guys. I've just purchased my cruise from Kufatec but the loom has 8 grey wires, all numbered.
2 of those wires are longer than the other 6 of the same length, would anyone be able to advise me on how i fit this loom.
Do the two long wires go to the brake and clutch? If so how?
And where does the brown plug at the end go?

I own a Polo GTI 08 model.

Cheers.

Taz
One of the longer wires goes to the brake pedal switch, the other needs to either be connected to the ECU or to a connector that is behind the dash, If you're going to connect it to this connector you will need to remove the whole dash panel.

The brown plug connects to the control module above the driver side footwell, it is exposed by removing the piece of black plastic above the pedals.
VdoubleU
New

Post by VdoubleU »

Hey thanks for that.

I ws all confident and looking forward to doing the job until you mentioned where the second of the 2 longer wires goes.

How do i identify the connector that is behind the dash somewhere? What exactly does it do?

As for the rest of it, seems not bad, but a little fidgety. Has anyone done this and how long did it take them?

Thanks.
mikehowett
Bronze Member

Post by mikehowett »

These are the connectors behind the dash:

You should be able to see them if you remove the plastic cover that allows access to the relays and look up with a torch.

The white plug arrowed is where the wire needs to go into, you should have received a pin that will need to be attached to the wire and then inserted into the plug. (the green arrow is pointing to a latch that needs to be moved to allow the plug to be removed)

I tried to get my hand in there but it was no go, the dash had to come out :(

It's probably easier to run the wire along the back of the dash, through the bulkhead an into the ECU instead, but I wanted to do it as if it came like it from the factory.

It took me about a day and a half to do mine. I did a fair bit of research beforehand to make sure I knew what I was doing. :)

FYI:

This is the module above the drivers footwell, the brown connector plugs into XS3 (it is marked on the actual module).

This is the connector where the six other wires need to go (accessible by removing the steering wheel) Pins 26-31 are for the cruise control switch.

This diagram was also useful:

:)
Last edited by mikehowett on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VdoubleU
New

Post by VdoubleU »

Mike your an absolute gent.... thanks for all that. Feel all at home now, i'll let you know how it goes.
I can't find a haynes manual on the 08 GTI.... is the steering wheel removal and airbag straight forward. I did it on my dads 07 golf, but with Haynes.

Cheers.
mikehowett
Bronze Member

Post by mikehowett »

VdoubleU wrote:Mike your an absolute gent.... thanks for all that. Feel all at home now, i'll let you know how it goes.
I can't find a haynes manual on the 08 GTI.... is the steering wheel removal and airbag straight forward. I did it on my dads 07 golf, but with Haynes.

Cheers.
No worries :wink:

See my post in this thread on how to remove the older 9n style steering wheel, i'd imagine once the airbag was removed the rest of the process is pretty similar, the air bag removal may also be the same :?:

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... hp?t=38140

This thread may also be useful:

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... ht=air+bag
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

mikehowett wrote:These are the connectors behind the dash:

You should be able to see them if you remove the plastic cover that allows access to the relays and look up with a torch.

The white plug arrowed is where the wire needs to go into, you should have received a pin that will need to be attached to the wire and then inserted into the plug. (the green arrow is pointing to a latch that needs to be moved to allow the plug to be removed)

I tried to get my hand in there but it was no go, the dash had to come out :(
Hi mate.

Did you have to remove the WHOLE dash to do this, or just the driver side loewr fascia? Having looked at the price of the cruise control stalk, I'm tempted, but the idea of removing the whole dash looks lika a PITA according to my haynes manual :(

Thanks!

Ash :)