Polo96CL's Progress Thread - SOLD SOLD SOLD :(

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Polo96CL's Progress Thread - SOLD SOLD SOLD :(

Post by Polo96CL »

Hey Guys,

Well it seems that everyone is having a Progress/update thread going on so I thought i'd jump on the bandwagon and throw in what i've done to the car.

Hey guys, Kinda new here as i've not made many posts but bought a couple of things in the classifieds. I bought this little polo off a chap I knew at work, he wanted £1500 for it. I bought it off him for £750. It's a 1997 1.4CL in Flash Red, with 53k miles. It was, very faded red when I got it but after months of washing, polishing and general cleaning it's come up beautifully.

Engine - Standard 1.4 8v 53k

Interior- Pioneer DEH P6000UB head unit and Fusion CM65 componants.

Wheels and tyres - BBS RXII's with BF Goodrich 195/45/R15's.

Exterior - 16v Front and rear bumpers, Mark5/6N2 rear lights, Bump strips removed, colour coded handles, clear indicators and repeaters, Votex spoiler (need fitting) and black VW badges.

Suspension - Standard, it's the "Afraid of the tarmac" look.

Here are a couple of pictures of how it looked when I got it (after the first decent clean of it's life).

The day I got it (in rain)

Cleaned and polished

Clear indicators all round

Mk5 rears

Bump stripes removed

16v bumpers & 2 colour coded handles fitted

A deal had been struck to buy a set of BBS Rxii's which had a polished lip and low profile tyres.

Decided that the rear badges needed to go, so off they went and a fresh polish was completed. Also picked up a bonnet bra for long distance journeys.

Last edited by Polo96CL on Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 29 times in total.
b-random
Bronze Member

Post by b-random »

Does look well mint, Just needs to be lowered now to get rid of the arch gap gayness ! Have you got a rear 16v bumper to match the front? I think the mk5 lights guide on here is even too complicated for me to try and fit mine I'm a complete newbie when it comes down to wiring and electrics :oops: LOL
Kristof_clg
Getting There!

Post by Kristof_clg »

Mk5 rear lights and the 16v bumpers look just great ;)

And yes, debadge. Waiting for the lowered pics!

p.s.: Lotus Elise at the back 8)
CraigMK4
Silver Member

Post by CraigMK4 »

Meh, it's ok i guess...

Haha looking good Daz, just lower her now! CC'd door handles FTW!

And b-random, it's not as hard as it looks, it literally is swapping two wires.
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Looking good mate. I thought you were aready lowered? :?
Your sig pic is a photoshop I take it.
Looks good anyhow.
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

Thanks for the comments guys, anyway... onto the update

Got a little package this morning courtesy of the courier...

What do we have here? :D

More detail...

Close up unopened...

The head unit

So thats my latest update, I had put some money away for this for some time but just hadn't got round to ordering it. Toying with the idea of a sub and amplifier in the future :P
Last edited by Polo96CL on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

Heh, you've got the same head unit as me! Hope you got a good deal. When you fit it you'll probably have to swap the red & yellow wires, easy to do 'cos they are both already on bullets. Otherwise it doesn't hold the memory.

Looks good tho'. Will look the DB's when it drops down too!
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

Ahh cool, is it a good head unit then? Hope to get it all fitted this sunday, should be a laugh taking out the old paper cones out :lol:

I almost bought those FK AK Coilovers in the for sale section however I couldn't afford them so the suspension will have to wait for a while. I'm going to Edition38 so hopefully I can see some of the height drops which are available and then make a decision to what I go for 8)

I'm really looking forward to the full respray and suspension, no doubt when those are done i'll be after some winter wheels available. Anyone got G60's or colour concepts available? lol

Daz
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

Great H/U. I took my glovebox out & drilled a hole in the side, inserted a rubber grommet & passed the USB cable thru'. I load tunes onto a USB stick drive & leave that pugged into it inside the glovebox. Save's connecting up the i-Pod!

Know what you mean on the height drop, 35-40mm drop can be done on just springs & can keep original shocks ( tho' will not be ideal). Any thing over that & you need spring & shock set.

Have a look, if you havn't already, at the venom motorsport site. They have got a fairly comprehensive range & give you an idea of the cost. :D
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

That sounds like a great idea, I might do the same however put the extension through the little pocket underneath the dash (the one in front of the gearstick. Would be a niftly little place to put it if I can make an ipod dock.

I'm not a massive fan of spending mega bucks on this because it's a £750 car! Although I reckon a set of coilovers are great and they could be sold after when I return to standard to sell. I've only really looked at the ones over on Clubpolo, needless to say it'll look much much better when it's lowered 8)
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

I've got the same issue, my motor is worth the same & don't want to put too much in it. Have a look on venom as you'll be surprised on how reasonable a set up can be, both coilies & spring/shock. :)
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

Got the head unit and speakers all fitted, I can only say WOW what a difference from the old stuff. A must upgrade if you want decent sound without spending stupid pennys.

Oh, and with a little mess around with photoshop I thought it would be funny to do a Carbon Fibre bonnet and wing mirrors :lol: My first try too!

Last edited by Polo96CL on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

Polo96CL wrote:Got the head unit and speakers all fitted, I can only say WOW what a difference from the old stuff. A must upgrade if you want decent sound without spending stupid pennys.

Oh, and with a little mess around with photoshop I thought it would be funny to do a Carbon Fibre bonnet and wing mirrors :lol: My first try too!

I think the carbon bonnet would suit. Not to sure on the wing mirrors.
awesome first try at photoshop. I suck at it, lol.

As for lowering buy yourself a set of Ta Technix - £215 deliverd off club polo. Easy fit (did mine yesterday)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I just dont see the need for coilies anymore. If your never going to change the height, what is the point? lol my opinion ey :P

Good set of springs, or springs and shocks and your sorted for half the price :)

Those TA Technix coilies arent half bad for their price though. Tim and I installed a set on his GTI (which took hours and hours!), and the ride is quite comfortable!
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

Quite true Alex. Though i do like how i can change my height. Before i was on 60/60 Jamex springs and shocks. I just wanted lower lol.