some questions about gti!!!!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
brucep
New

some questions about gti!!!!

Post by brucep »

rite guys hello to u all!!!!

thinkin of buyin a polo gti and would like u guys to help with some questions if u will!!!!

these gas discharge headlights what are they all about? do they last longer , are they expensive when they go and are thay a dealer part?

what sort of mpg can u get from the gti if driven easy?

and what rpm dose the engine do @ 70mph?

think thats all!!

l8rsss
bruce :D
Ams
New

Post by Ams »

gas discharge lights are really useful. They are more powerful and clearer than normal AND look cool at night.

on a full tank i get 250-280 miles (300 if REALLY lucky)

3200 rpm at 70 mph
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Gas Discharge Lights (or HID's or Xenon's) are amazing. They are a £500-£1000 option on most luxury cars, but they come as standard on the GTi. They should last longer than the car, but if one did go, they are £100 each "bulb" from the dealer, or about £30 from eBay.de. They really are amazing, the light output is VERY white, so you can see further and it is less tiring driving at night.

I get between 250-280 miles from a tank of Shell Optimax.

I have had as much as 320 miles on a lazy motorway journey.

Cruising at 70 is fine, however if you decide to be a "law breaker" and cruise above 80mph, things get a little noisy as in 5th above 80mph the cam timing changes (VVT). It could really do with a 6th gear (aka Lupo GTi gearbox).

If you get a very late Polo GTi, you will get the version that had engine bits changed to meet stiffer emissions laws, so it might not be as quick, however you will pay less road tax.

The VERY early ones apparently suffered from a flat spot in the rev range. Mine is a July 2000 model and I haven't noticed this.

With some simple modifications (ie suspension) the Polo GTi is a really fantastic little car that will out handle and out perform a lot of other cars on the road.
Last edited by Josh_PoloGTi on Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
brucep
New

Post by brucep »

fanks for the replys guys!

i just cant decide on one at the moment i'm drivin a 1.9 tdi mk3 ibiza being 25 this year i was thinkin of somthin faster !!!

been readin though the forum and there seems to be a problem with the pedel box how big a problem is this?? is it likely to break?

i was thinkin of an early one, coz of the price!!!!

i've also seen a 1.4 60bhp with air con and 16k.
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

hi
I seem to get 300+ miles from a tankfull, maybe cos i dont thrash it everywhere, i fill it up when it goes into the red usually. i'd say about 34mpg (ish!)
mine was registered march 2000 and has no flatspots (nearly time for its birthday-thats my excuse for getting new springs :D )

xenons are cool, but i just hope I dont get one stone chipped!

go on ... BUY ONE!
blackgti
Bronze Member

Post by blackgti »

Hi ya BruceP

Just to let you know I've been getting 38mpg out of my GTI and that averaging about 80 MPH everyday, so I'm getting my money's worth.

I went from a Golf Mk3 TDI to the Polo GTI

Courtney