150BHP - achievable or not?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

150BHP - achievable or not?

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

No dobut this topic has already been discussed but as I am new to the Forum I thought I would ask the question.

My car has done 55,000 original miles, (cambelt has been done) and its still on the original gearbox with no problems (touch wood).

I know that they all came with 125BHP as standard and VW's dont tend to loose much power over the years if they have been serviced on regular basis, which mine has.
I am fairly confident I could achieve the original BHP with a damn good service, give or a take one or two horse power.

Here are the modifications that I believe could achieve that figure if done properly. I have no listed uprated cams etc just the basic engine modifications that we most commonly see.

Estimated Power Gains
BMC CDA Induction Kit - 3 BHP
REMUS DE-CAT Exhaust System - 5 BHP
REMUS Heat Wrapped Stainless Steel Manifold - 8BHP
ENGINE RE-MAP - 9 to 11 BHP

Based on those Figures that would give the car an extra 25BHP or perhaps more. I think those power gains are realistic, certainly the Manifold and the Re-map, Induction kits and exhausts are never huge gains.

I imagine this will have a big effect on the already over powered gearbox and I would expect a reduced gearbox life of course.

Let me know your thoughts

Ben,
:D
stani540
Gold Member

Post by stani540 »

i think you'd be lucky to see 140bhp but i may be wrong.

it just seems like you will be spending alot of money for 1 or extra horse power.

Depends where you are going with the car, if you have money to spend put a 1.8t in!!
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

stani540 wrote:i think you'd be lucky to see 140bhp but i may be wrong.

it just seems like you will be spending alot of money for 1 or extra horse power.

Depends where you are going with the car, if you have money to spend put a 1.8t in!!
It would be interesting to see if it had been done, I dont know either but I was curious.

It is alot of money to spend especially for little gain. (£750)
1.8T conversion is what most people want, but again its alot of money and time.

The car looses its identity as well with a 1.8T conversion, wouldnt it be easier just to get a new 9N3 GTI? I suppose the argument on that one is the 6N2 Polo's are far better looking. :D
stani540
Gold Member

Post by stani540 »

better car all round apart from engine

ibiza cupra mk3's are pretty cool :lol:

id say 150 wasnt achievable and with all those parts includign a remap your looking over a grand its alot of money to spend!
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Yeah I do like the Ibiza Cupra's but their pretty rare and hard to come across. Very quick cars.

150 may be unachievable but I could have all those parts that I mentioned for under £750 fitted, thats after shopping around though.

Insurance does play a big part as well
stani540
Gold Member

Post by stani540 »

if you could get all that for 750 id be impressed

surely map alone costs atleast 400
then bmc at a minimum of 100 2nd hand 150-200 new
and exhasut and mani isn going to be below 250 surely?

Cupras are rare in the fact you dont see many but there readily available to buy mate trust me insurance isnt a massive difference anyway. and 210bhp is good
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

Seems slightly optimistic based on those modifications alone.

What I would suggest is searching for some threads posted by a guy called "Poussou" from a couple of years back. He tried rather a lot of things to get more power of a GTi, including cams etc, with mixed results.
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

A re-map on a non turbo car is always cheaper, I can get it done from a company called More-BHP for £195.00 which is cheap as chips. BMC is £160 new, Remus Exhaust & Manifold no more than £350 fitted.

The question is though, will it make much difference?

thanks for the replies

I have read some of the old posts from "poussou" and to be honest it sounds like he wrecked his car. Something wasnt right, I remember he said the acceleration was worse in 1st & 2nd than it was when standard. Obviously did something majorly wrong there, but it was interesting to read about someone who had actually fitted new cams.

Ben,
stani540
Gold Member

Post by stani540 »

id say for 750 quid what you got to loose wish stuf for th biza was that cheap
tomo87
Platinum Member

Post by tomo87 »

my old GTI was pushing 140bhp....

its had a Custom Code map, BMC, Raceland Manifold and full Powerflow exhaust.

for the money that was spent the gains were not worth it at all.
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

As everyone else has said... I dont think you will see 25hp easily from those mods u list above..

The standard VW airbox and exhaust are actually pretty good...

The weakness in the engine is the gas flow through the head..

If you replaced the throttle body and intake manifold with sepperate injection throttle bodies say from a bike....

Matched, flowed and balances the cylinder head with possibly larger valves (if they would fit)..

And then clean up the exhaust ports....

If the gearbox in the polo was good I would have done the above and then slapped on a rotrex supercharger..... but sadly its not!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I'd say no more 140, BMC doesn't do squat on it's own. full exhaust system with manifold with a remap may see you 15. I'm quite tempted with getting a full decatted system.

Tom did your old car ever match up to a standard GTi? Or was is noticably faster than one?
tomo87
Platinum Member

Post by tomo87 »

Tim_GTi wrote:I'd say no more 140, BMC doesn't do squat on it's own. full exhaust system with manifold with a remap may see you 15. I'm quite tempted with getting a full decatted system.

Tom did your old car ever match up to a standard GTi? Or was is noticably faster than one?
it was definatly quicker and smoother......but i did end up on my 3rd gearbox
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

tomo87 wrote:
Tim_GTi wrote:I'd say no more 140, BMC doesn't do squat on it's own. full exhaust system with manifold with a remap may see you 15. I'm quite tempted with getting a full decatted system.

I may go for it then. I'm not gunna let the 'box stop me anymore, if it goes again, it goes.
tomo87
Platinum Member

Post by tomo87 »

Tim_GTi wrote:
tomo87 wrote:

I may go for it then. I'm not gunna let the 'box stop me anymore, if it goes again, it goes.
serious? its really not worth that tim honestly from experience....constantly thinking it could go anytime!

its just such a shame as the GTI is such a cool little car