My car in progress

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
jezza
Gold Member
Location: Yeovil, Somerset & Essex Drives 1.6 6N polo and a G40.

My car in progress

Post by jezza »

I have been saying to myself I will do this and now im finally gonna do this.

I have owned the car since october 08. Picked it up for £1100 and had done 76k.

This is what it looked when I 1st had it. (Except I had already fitted smoked indicators! DOH)

A little dirty as i had just travelled 200 miles.

And then I got a de-badged grill, Angel eyes and I got the rear tail lights smoked/tinted black.

And rear

And at night

This is my car next to my mates S4

Was gonna run it on steelies for a while,

but thenI got some BBS rims. So this is what it currently looks like.

All that is on the list now is Coilovers and lower 60mm, getting a powerflow s/s at start of feb, new front brake disc's and rear drum's, will paint callipers and drum's black, German pressed plates, de-badging the rear and getting the VW badge black, getting rid of the door strips, leaving the mud flaps on for now, maybe tinting the rear 3 windows and then a little engine work. Just money is stopping me right now.
Shmosh
Bronze Member

Re: My car in progress

Post by Shmosh »

nice, will look great when lowered! loving the angel eyes on this colour.
Josh_polo
Gold Member

Post by Josh_polo »

Needs dropping, get on ebay, there is a shop on there, i got coilys for £170 deliverd
kyle_mk3
Getting There!

Post by kyle_mk3 »

i reckon you should remove the polo and 1.6 badges, got them off my polo 95 n i think it looks better!
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

Slam it :D

Make it look like a Mk4 GTI, its how my inspiration is and I think it looks really smart :)
jezza
Gold Member

Post by jezza »

The badges will be coming off! Hopefully will get round to doing it over the weekend but im fitting my coilovers today to! Cant wait to lower it, looks like it is on stilts right now.
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

Nothing like dropping a dub on its ass! Muwahahaha. Nice progression. =)
jezza
Gold Member

Post by jezza »

Hell yeah. Cheers mate. Just put my disc's on yesterday and new pads. Was quite scary when i went to stop for the 1st time as it didnt really wanna but now there bedded in and they are great. Black diamond grooved with Green stuff pads is what they are. They looked awesome the disc 's as they were black but as soon as i drove it all came off. Would look great if they could stay black. Painted the calipers black for now (to re paint brembo red) as i had no other paint and i had used a wire brush to get all the rust off and crap that had built up. Sanded them down a little and they look great. Will get some pics on. Oh yeah, was gonna do a step by step how to change your discs and that but i only got pics up to the removal and then i was getin stressed with getting my calipers back on but might still be able to do it. Also put in my splitfire triple platinum sparks and splitfire dual firing leads. Seem to make the car a little better and alot smoother with acceleration. There supposed to give a better fuel consumption but we will see. Today oil change, filter and fuel filter, and hopefully get those coilovers on.
kyle1b1
Bronze Member

Post by kyle1b1 »

best get cracking then.

seems a busy day for ya !
polo_dude
Gold Member

Post by polo_dude »

8) That's the way forward, get it on it's bum! :P
polovr6man
New

Post by polovr6man »

getting theer with it eh mate. the angel eyes make a big difference dont they. a spoiler also makes a subtle difference imo too. heres a 6n with one on

http://i37.tinypic.com/15oypns.jpg
jezza
Gold Member

Post by jezza »

Well sunday didn't go well. Weather was not great so didnt get anything done. But tuesday was good. Finished work at half 1 so worked on the car as it was sunny. Did my oil change and got a new sump plug. Got one of those magnetic ones from awesomegti. Changed oil filter, fuel filter and pollen filter. The fuel and pollen filter were absoultly minging. Dont think they have ever been changed before. So all that was left was the coil over's. So today i finished early, again, at half 10 and got on to the coilovers midday. Had a slight problem with a few things but looked at the forum post about fitting them and it was spot on! So the rear ones were on. For future reference always take both rear ones off before fitting one! I found out the hard way and the rear drum shot up so quick and it hurt! But that was done and looked good. Got on to the front and had a problem as i needed a 18mm spanner and socket which i had neither of. So went to town and got them. Was very difficult getting them off as they were soo rusted on, like the bolts and that, that we had a set of mulgrips on the stanchion and it was not gripping at all. Managed in the end and all was good. Looks great now but by the time i had done a few things and that it was a little too dark to take pics. Took about 5 hours but had about an hour off so 4 hours really. Here is what i have taken though from start to finish:

When the rear was done.

Then the front

Forgot to take some of when they were in but here is one with the car on the ground

Will get some more pics of it tomorrow when i have made little adjustments and clean it.
kyle1b1
Bronze Member

Post by kyle1b1 »

de-bumpstrip !
jezza
Gold Member

Post by jezza »

Here is a little on my brake discs i changed and pads.

This was the old disc before

This little screw that holds in the disc was solid and if anyone does this, spraying any type of oil, GT85 or WD40 and that on the screws really helps loosen up the screws and bolts.

Caliper

Best thing to do is take cap of resivoir and prize apart the pads so that the piston is fully back.

Do it before the new pads go on or you might scuff your new pads. Also remember to put on the cap before you use the brakes!

This is what they are like now.

Cause i had new disc's and pads when i was trying to put caliper back on, i found it difficult as the pads and disc's have a protective coat on it wouldn't go on very easily. Used a rubber mallet and just tapped them on. Pulled out of my car parking space and they car came to a stop without me braking they were that tight. Now there nearly bedded in they are good. Just remember to take what oil is over the max level in the resivoir.
jezza
Gold Member

Post by jezza »

Here is the engine bay at the moment.