Help! Lights gone on dash!

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
CTR
New

Help! Lights gone on dash!

Post by CTR »

Guys,

we've been having problems with the dash lights on the main console next to the gear stick on our 6N2. For some time they were cutting out every now and again. Frustrated with it one night, I gave it tap on the side of the dash (next to the footwell) now they've gone altogether! :(

I think it may be a loose wire or something that I've managed to disconnect by tapping it but I've no idea where to start looking or how to remove that part of the dash. I've done a search around the forum for info on this but can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice on this?

Cheers

CTR
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Re: Help! Lights gone on dash!

Post by Tim_GTi »

Is this on a GTi? with the climatronic system? If so Remove the tray that sits just above the unit, you push it down and pull it away. This'll give you a small amount of room to work with. If that doesn't help, you can pop off the plastic surrounds with a flat head screw driver, then undo the bolts exposed. this should free the face of the system, so you can make any adjustments to the wires behind.

If this isn't a GTi, I think surrounds can still be removed in the same way, but I'm not 100% sure, you'll have to have a ganders.

If they can't do this, you'll have to take the centre console off to get behind it properly. To do this start from the right and work your way over. all bolts are torx bits T20 (I think). It'll go something like this:

remove bolt under light switch (right of steering wheel), remove plastic
remove bolt revealed under this plastic.
remove 3 bolts securing bottom of steering cover (pic below)
remove bolt behind steering plastics.
remove 5 or so bolts across the bottom of plastic, near the pedals. Remove this plastic
remove all bolts revealed
remove bolt down the passenger side footwell
remove bolt exposed when you open the glovebox
Plastic trim underneath coin and drink holder should pop off now
Pop gear gaitor off, and remove the two plastic bolts located in the bottom left and right.
gently slide centre console off, taking care over the handbrake cover.
The ashtray may cause some problems, reach under and unplug it or unscrew the small bolts holding it on.

hope this helps!
CTR
New

Post by CTR »

Blimey, thanks for the in depth reply mate! :shock:

No, its not a gti, its a 1.4 match. I can't say I recognise the photo tbh but its my wife's car so I'll have to take a closer look. Do you know if this is a common problem? If so, where do I start looking for this loose connection?

Just pinched this photo from autotrader. Same dash as our polo.

Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

The picture i posted is the bolts underneath the steering wheel holding the plastic trim on.

So are you referring to the heating switches down the bottom? if so like i said thhe plastic surrounds should pop off with a bit of play with a flat head screwdriver.

If it's the headunit/disc player or changer, you'll need the correct keys to remove this to get behind them. Halfords sell them.