Next Car Choice - Now Narrowed Down

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Next Car Choice - Now Narrowed Down

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Right guys, looks like this could be the last year of the Polo. Thinking of moving on near the end of the year. I've looked at so many potential candidates but ruled out a lot: Golf GTI (too common, Mk6 coming out later), 197 (good but not special enough and crap on fuel), Alfa GTV (probably not practical for a daily), Clio V6 (again more of a weekend toy), Mk7 Polo GTI (soon to be replaced) etc etc. I've got two candidates and they are both very similar and both italian! (Yep, no jap cars involved!). They both cost around 14k new and have 1.4 Turbo engines. So here they are:

1) Fiat 500 Abarth SS

I've always liked this when I first saw it. It's one of the coolest cars I've seen released recently. Something alternative to the admittedly great but common as muck IT mangers car that is the Mini Cooper S. I ruled out a lot of larger engined cars because I'm seeing smaller, higher powered engines as a good means of still being able to have fun in a car, without spending too much money. This is especially a concern now with rising tax prices/emission laws, etc. The standard Abarth has 135bhp iirc and does 0-60 in about 8 seconds. Not much over the Polo, but then being a Turbo the engine is more flexible and economical at the same time, and of course there is the potential. The SS version is basically a modifcation package that stiffens up the suspension, adds a few styling tweaks, and more importantly adds an extra 30 bhp, meaning 0-60 is around 7.5 or just under. Now I know people will say it isn't quick, but then a car doesn't need to do 0-60 in 5 seconds to be fun (although the car that would replace this car would be something like that ;)) and there is still potential. All car mags I've read have had positive reviews and said it's a hoot to drive. It also looked really good on the TG track. The car costs around 14k and 3k for the SS package. Only limited numbers of Abarth 500's are being made each year, with the option of the SS package. The plan would be to get a nearly new example so someone takes the hit, meaning I may only have to pay 12-14k for say a 6 month old SS version with 2k on the clock. It is a very narrow margin choosing this over the Grande Punto Abarth because I also think it's a great car. The Grande Punto/500 Abarth seems to be the modern Lupo/Polo GTI combo, although whereas I chose a Polo over a Lupo, this time it's the other way round in terms of the Fiats.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Sea ... AR-review/

Pros:
- Kills off the girly image of the normal 500 (although they still look cool imo)
- Good reviews (Clarkson said on Top Gear it's a modern day successor to the Mk1 Golf GTI)
- Looks the part
- Performance/Handling/Running Costs/Equipment combo is amazing for the price
- Possibly a future classic as it will be rare
- Interior is very unique
- Tuning potential
- Italian soul
- Lack of dealers (my nearest is 130 miles away in Glasgow!)

Cons:
- Not as practical as a Grande Punto Abarth (and arguably not as good looking on the outside imo)
- Alfa is arguably more stylish on the outside
- Maybe a little too small
- No Xenons

2) Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4T (155)

I just recently took notice of this car. It looks good, and I know some will say it looks girly, but I think a guy can just about get away with it. And it would have to be in red (although the white one does look good). Although the interior isn't as classic or special as the 500, it is still very good, and reports say it's actually well built. Being based on the Punto (which seems to be relatively trouble free), then there shouldn't be any worries of the classic Alfa breakdowns/electrical gremlins. Owning this car would also mean owning an Alfa, which is something I definately plan on doing in my life, whether it be this time next year or in 30 years. I would like to read more reviews on the driving experience, as I've not found a lot. Those I have read are promising though, some saying it's ok to some saying it's entertaining. The power figures are pretty much identical to the standard 500 Abarth (I'm talking about the top of the range 1.4 Turbo with 155 bhp). There are no tuning options like the SS, but a remap would easily sort that. Although nice, it isn't as special as the 500 and seems to be more of a top of the range version of the Mito rather than being designed to be a hot hatch. There is rumoured to be a 220 bhp GTA version too. I wouldn't want to buy this and then have the GTA released. The pros are that the GTA could be really crap and not really be worth the extra money and I would be better off with the 1.4. Ignoring all doubts, it's still a great little car. As with the 500, the plan would to be to buy a nearly new example around 6 months old.

http://www.imotormag.co.uk/testdrives/1 ... eview.html

Pros:
- Classic Alfa style and more Italian soul
- Well built interior
- Reviews ranging from ok to excellent
- Little more practical than the 500 (same size as a Punto apparently though looks smaller in the pics)
- Another good combo of Performance/Handling/Running Costs/Equipment
- Tuning Potential

Cons:
- More girly image
- 220bhp GTA version rumoured to arrive next year (though this will either be a hit or a miss to drive, and the price will be close to 20k)
- Depreciation possibility?
- Not as special as the Fiat (especially on the inside)
- Alfa dealers renowned as the worst in the UK (and that's got to be bad in comparison to VW!)
- Again, no Xenons

A possible third candidate would be the all new Polo GTI. A 180bhp TSI sounds appealing and the photoshops I've seen look encouraging in comparison to the dull base models. It may lack though in drivers appeal in comparison to the above two and then there is the Mk6 Golf GTI which looks stunning and will probably be only 3k more. Anyway, not enough info to be a main consideration at the moment. Dare I say it, an ST version of the latest Fiesta would certainly tempt me if done right.

Thoughts?
chewy
Platinum Member

Re: Next Car Choice - Now Narrowed Down

Post by chewy »

Fiat 500 Abarth SS for me saw it on top gear and it was mental

Alfa will brake down like all alfas do lol
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

I wouldn't place too many bets on either of them being especially reliable, despite the advances made in recent years.

However, out of the two, I'd certainly be more inclined to go with the Abarth SS. Looks far better, certainly more special and I would imagine more fun to drive.

But you're the one who'll have to live with it, so naturally you need to go pester some dealers and drive them.
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

If I go to the Metallica gig in March in Glasgow, I'll make a point of finding the Abarth dealer. Hopefully I can get a test drive
h4r1s
Platinum Member
Location: Leicester/Sheffield Drives: Polo MKV-6N2 1.4SE 16v 75BHP

Post by h4r1s »

Neither if I'm completely honest. I think they are both ugly :oops:

But then again I'm not fond of many of the new cars, they just seem to be getting uglier and uglier.

Old Skool ftw.

Oh and both cars will depreciate like anything, which is something to think about aswell :wink:

Just a bit of critiscm don't take it to heart!
polo_dude
Gold Member

Post by polo_dude »

Mk6 Golf GTI, get a bit more info on that, I say that's the way forward. :D
h4r1s
Platinum Member

Post by h4r1s »

polo_dude wrote:Mk6 Golf GTI
don't get me started on the looks of the Mk6 :roll:
adam_0612
Gold Member

Post by adam_0612 »

not considered a bugatti veyron then??
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

h4r1s wrote:Neither if I'm completely honest. I think they are both ugly :oops:

But then again I'm not fond of many of the new cars, they just seem to be getting uglier and uglier.

Old Skool ftw.

Oh and both cars will depreciate like anything, which is something to think about aswell :wink:

Just a bit of critiscm don't take it to heart!
I agree also, I'm an old school boy!
Dan 6N
Silver Member

Post by Dan 6N »

h4r1s wrote:
polo_dude wrote:Mk6 Golf GTI
don't get me started on the looks of the Mk6 :roll:

Agreed, the new Golf is hideous :(

I'd take the Alfa if it was me, but it's your call :D
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

100% would take te 500 Abarth, absolutely love it!!! imagine after a bit of tinkering how fast it could be? a modern day GT turbo! do it! DOO IT!!
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

New Ford Fiesta, but if out the first two then the alfa would be my choice between the two, why not a punto?

The 500 is a chick car IMO thats all I've seen is women driving them looks like a micra put into a washing machine and shrunk. While the alfa is really redifined like the new ford fiesta and the new ford ka, no where as gay as the new golf, seriously who had a lazy day designing that. Mind you that alfa really reminds me of the new KA and I wouldnt mind being seen in the new ka it has sex appeal now. The third option the new fiesta ST if you got the funds, GO FOR IT! Thr interior is great and if its for yrself its a good ride as well as being a looker.
h4r1s
Platinum Member

Post by h4r1s »

:wink:
Silver Member

Post by 8080 »

When I was a kid we had a Fiat 127, so I'm immune to wanting an Italian car, because they have "spirit" or whatever Clarkson waffles on about :?

Given the choice of those two, it'd be the Mito all the way, got a lot of attention when it was displayed at Top Gear Live. I'd go with a dark colour to tone down the girliness (you'll know Alfa are worried about this being seen as a girl's car if you've seen their ads)

I'd be too embarrassed to drive the 500 tbh, but that's me, I like debadged cars, tdi tailpipes etc 8)
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Auto Express have given the Mito 4 stars and Evo 3. Predictably, both mags can't see past the boring Mini. I've not seen a bad review against the Abarth (and most of them are for the standard one, not even the SS which is even better). At this moment in time I've chosen the Abarth. Though a year on something may have totally changed my mind, we will see.

Back to concentrating on the Polo for one last hurrah!