Crap Day (Rant)

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Crap Day (Rant)

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Drive to work and the car decided to empty the entire contents of the washer bottle tank when the washers won't switch off. Then my wipers won't switch off. I thought that was bad...

Get finished work early as I heard traffic was bad in Aberdeen. I work 13 miles North of Aberdeen and live 10 miles south, so it takes me an hour to get home roughly. Traffic was bad, but I wasn't prepared for anything THIS bad. An hour and a half and I still wasn't even halfway home and was getting pretty impatient. It's more annoying when you see people skipping the queues and you have been waiting 30 minutes and moved 20 car lengths...

So we get to the city centre and then I go down the usual side street. There is a bus with a taxi behind it right in front of me. So the bus pulls in to pick up passengers. There is traffic on the RHS but enough room in the middle for a car to pass. So I expect the taxi to pass the bus, but he doesn't. The whole situation of waiting 2 hours and 10 minutes was getting to me and I just wanted home. There WAS enough room for a car to pass but as I indicated and pulled out I scuffed the rear corner of his bumper.

He has my details now and I felt so stupid and pissed off. I didn't check the damage on my car til I got home - it's like a knife has cut right down the middle of my bump strip and left a deep gash. On the actual door panel there is also a gash but slightly lighter. Both are about 50cm long.

Now my insurance will go up and I've got to pay for the damage to my car :(
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Re: Crap Day (Rant)

Post by Tim_GTi »

Ah man that sucks, seems you've had no luck recently!!

Why take it out with the insurance company though? just get both cars privately repaired if he's ok with it? You'll only pay more through your premium.

Find a good garage that can do both repairs and a reasonable price, and go from there.
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

sorry to hear that mate, I can think of quite a few moments where i've done the same thing (just never quite scuffed the car). Agree with tim though, would the guy let you sort it out without getting the insurance companies involved?
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

He has my details but I don't have his. I guess in the heat of the moment I wasn't thinking straight. His is just a scuff. If he phones me I'm definately gonna offer to pay up front.

As for my car, I think I may just get a full respray in the spring. Every panel has something wrong with it (not sortable with a machine polisher) so by the time I get every little bit done I'd probably be cheaper getting the whole car done. Plus it means I can start from scratch. Only worry is overspray in all the hidden parts etc etc
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

you give me ideas when you say respray haha. Get on a couple of local forums and find some recommended sprayers for the respray, it's something you don't want to get the wrong person to do!

Fingers crossed he contacts you before the insurance company!
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Still not heard anything. It's my fault anyway and I feel better today, just need to learn to be more patient, though luckily I don't think I'll ever be in that situation again. My parents think maybe they might not even bother because of the costs of putting away a taxi just to get a scuff repaired. I'm prepared to face whatever consequence.

The next owner of my car will be getting a bargain with all the money I'll have spent (wasted?) on it by the time I sell at the end of the year

Oh yeah Tim my calendar arrived yesterday, it's brilliant, cheers