Simon's GTi, update page 4

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
6n2si
Getting There!

Simon's GTi, update page 4

Post by 6n2si »

Hi all, have been hovering around the forum for a while but never posted before. Finally got round to cleaning the polo up this weekend and thought i'd introduce myself! On Scottishvag too if anyone else is on there, and just introduced myself on club polo.

Owned the Gti for almost a year now, sold a mk2 16 valve golf to buy it, wanted something a little more modern! Searched high and low for one with leather and eventually found this one. Its got 65k on the clock at the moment and is still on its first gearbox :-? waiting for that to go!

Just waiting on funds for lowering and maybe some 16" RX's.

when i bought it sitting next to what it replaced!

Is the red stripe seatbelt and black leather an unheard of combination, heard it was?

Cheers guys, all comments welcome!
Last edited by 6n2si on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Re: New member from Glasgow

Post by Redline »

Welcome,tidy looking GTi.

I can heartily recommend 16" RXII's, make a subtle but effective difference to the overall look.

As for the leather seats/red black seat belt combo, don't think I've personally seen that one before. Although to be honest GTi specs are so random they're bound to throw up surprises!
Arnoldo
Gold Member

Post by Arnoldo »

Looks well m8, welcome!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

There is a possibility that the leather has been added in afterwards I believe

The gear gaiter on the black leather interior, is black with grey stitching to match the rest of the car - ie not grey with red stitching. Same as the steering wheel - it has black stitching as opposed to red.
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Welcome to the forum, I want your seatbelts!
SeanGTI
New

Post by SeanGTI »

welcom mate nice gti i have factory heated leather with them same seatbelts and my gear gaiter is black with red stitchin but steering wheel is standard lol wierd. alexperkins dont you have standard leather are your seatbelts different
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Ye ive got full original OEM leather in mine too. An elite club we have here :P I have normal black seatbelts

The belts also seem to depend on the colour of the car too!
6n2si
Getting There!

Post by 6n2si »

I know my car came from the factory with leather, seems odd that they are all different! Seangti mine has the black gaiter with red stitching but no red on the steering wheel too, looks a bit mismatched!

Thanks for all the comments guys, might be looking for some guidance on the dreaded gearbox replacement as it has defininatly deteriorated in the last year :(

Basically, it crunches when changing from 4th to 5th and into reverse and sometimes 1st is difficult to engage, also the gearstick moves when accelerating in 4th. The clutch pedal creaks but has had the pedal box done. Have heard these are all common problems but not sure of cause? Is it linkage related on box wear?

Cheers. Simon
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Hi Simon, welcome to uk-polos! 8)

Don't worry about the 4th-gear movement, its a characteristic of the car. As for the trouble engaging gears (especially 1st/reverse), see if the clutch cable needs adjusting before committing to a full-on gearbox rebuild, its much cheaper!

Cheers

Si
SeanGTI
New

Post by SeanGTI »

ahhh my car is also silver maybe thats why. i should really start a thread lol
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

From my experience of browsing other peoples cars, it seems the interior options are a tad scattered. My seatbelts are red with black stitching, opposite to yours.

Your passenger side seat looks in amazing condition!
6n2si wrote: Basically, it crunches when changing from 4th to 5th and into reverse and sometimes 1st is difficult to engage, also the gearstick moves when accelerating in 4th. The clutch pedal creaks but has had the pedal box done. Have heard these are all common problems but not sure of cause? Is it linkage related on box wear?

Cheers. Simon
As Si said, linkage movement is normal.

But all the other issues point to the clutch, not gearbox. Is it the original clutch? If so, at 65k you wnat to be looking at repacing it, not just adjusting the cable.

Ring up GSF, and ask for a SACHs clutch kit, part number 3000581001. Don't worry about engine codes, as both GTi engine codes use the same clutch. Expect to pay under £90 for the kit. And twice as much from VW for a factory recondtioned one, not new. I'd get the cable repaced at the same time also, around £30.
6n2si
Getting There!

Post by 6n2si »

Tim_GTi wrote:From my experience of browsing other peoples cars, it seems the interior options are a tad scattered. My seatbelts are red with black stitching, opposite to yours.

Your passenger side seat looks in amazing condition!

As Si said, linkage movement is normal.

But all the other issues point to the clutch, not gearbox. Is it the original clutch? If so, at 65k you wnat to be looking at repacing it, not just adjusting the cable.

Ring up GSF, and ask for a SACHs clutch kit, part number 3000581001. Don't worry about engine codes, as both GTi engine codes use the same clutch. Expect to pay under £90 for the kit. And twice as much from VW for a factory recondtioned one, not new. I'd get the cable repaced at the same time also, around £30.
As far as i know the clutch is still the original. I always thought signs of clutch wear was slipping rather than trouble engaging gears?
Re the passanger seat, thanks, think the car did most of its miles with just one person, you should see the back seats, don't think they've ever been sat in!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Get it replaced then mate, 65k and 7 odd years old is a fair life span for them! It'll solve your curnching issues.
6n2si
Getting There!

Post by 6n2si »

I'll put it on the to do list! Once i've found some money that is! Would hate to get it done then for the box to go :(
6n2si
Getting There!

Post by 6n2si »

Looking at swapping these for my wheels, bear in mind car will be standard height till the summer when I find the money for lowering, opinions? Will it look stupid standard height?

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.p ... pic=136764

Cheers guys. Simon